Thursday, April 23, 2020

An interview with Kelley (Gould) Posch


For the first half of my coaching career at Marist, it was pretty much a given that I was “just the men’s coach.” The lines were clearly drawn: Pete coaches the guys and Phil coaches the women. Oh, we traveled together to meets and to practices and we were very much together as one big happy (and oftentimes dysfunctional) family. But the structure was set, in terms of recruiting and coaching, by that model. When Phil retired in 2008, the structure remained similar but with a slight shift. I was given a fancy new title – Director of Track/Cross Country – with the idea that I would now be more directly involved in all aspects of the program. To be sure, Chuck Williams has been and remains the leader and the face of the women’s distance program since Phil’s retirement – the results speak for themselves! But that subtle pivot in title and responsibilities – along with being elevated to full-time status -- has gotten me more directly involved in the women’s program. It’s a blessing every darn day. No one individual represents that pivot point more than Kelley (Gould) Posch. Talk about blessings …

Yesterday (Butti), we had the “science nerd.” Today, we have the “track/math nerd.” The common thread is a strong and equal emphasis on both parts of the student-athlete equation. As I was going through Kell’s answers (and awesome photos) here, I realized I forgot to have her talk about her post-collegiate running, of which she’s done great things too. But alas, there are plenty of words here. As with every one of these Pandemic Papers series interviews, I find myself smiling and nodding at my laptop screen, as I remain cornered in this converted closet-office in my house, at the great times and the great memories. Thank you, Kell, for taking the time out of your “distance teaching” to answer these questions so well. As I knew you would.   

It's almost like you were BORN to come to Marist, but please describe the recruiting process. Did you consider any other schools? How did you choose Marist over other schools? And yes, you forever remain the answer to the (not so trivial, to me) trivia question of being the first female recruit that I met with after longtime women’s coach Phil Kelly retired. Do you remember our initial meeting?

Both of my parents have degrees from Marist College. I have two degrees from Marist College. My husband (fellow Forever Fox Billy Posch) has two degrees from Marist College. My younger sister (fellow Forever Fox Annie Gould) has two degrees from Marist College. Her boyfriend (fellow Forever Fox Ken Walshak) has two degrees from Marist. I still have a Marist sweatshirt in a child's size that I wore at my parents' college reunion (20th, possibly?) where I have a vague memory of sitting on a concrete planter outside of the McCann Center playing with my parents' friends' kids. As I grew up, we got mail from Marist. I heard many stories of the old campus buildings that don't exist anymore - and some that do! My parents' friends would come for holiday parties and reminisce about the bar (The Pub!) in the bottom of Champagnat (where I would one day do my laundry); their infamous college president DJM, whose first year was their freshman year, visiting their house when they won the "River House" award during their senior week; and the old railroad bridge (now the Walkway) on which my dad "definitely didn't" spray paint their fake fraternity symbols (Phi Tappa Kegga) with his friends (the symbols stayed visible until about five years ago and I would see them on every run over the walkway and on the van rides to the Vassar track).  

As I was preparing to start the college process I was emphatic when I said, "I do not want to go to Marist." (This sounds familiar, doesn’t it Shea?)

It was the summer going into senior year of high school when my dad visited the Marist athletics website looking at the Cross Country/Track and Field program. He cornered me on the porch on summer vacation and said I should check it out. It might be a good fit. I shrugged and said fine, I'll think about it.

Ironically, my Mom (Hi Mom, I know you're reading this -- she is a diehard blog fan..."Did you see Pete's blog today?") emailed Coach Phil Kelly the year before (unbeknownst to me) to try to start some communication but, being the first-timers that we were, we didn't know the NCAA rules that prevented Phil from having contact with me. In August, my mom and I planned to go on a campus tour and reached out to Pete. The first runhed246@hotmail.com email popped to our inbox, welcoming us to meet with him. 

We did the 45-minute commute to Poughkeepsie, chugging down the traffic lights of Route 9. It was your typical picture-perfect Marist day -- light Hudson River breeze, green grass with no dandelion in sight, sun blasting like a halo off the Rotunda. We went to McCann to meet with Pete, who we called "Coach Colaizzo" for probably the first and last time. We met in whatever space became the "fishbowl" and the most memorable moment I have was my Mom bringing up drinking and Pete saying, "This is a responsible team. They work hard and don't do a whole lot of that stuff." That was the only lie (the drinking, not the hard work) Pete has ever told me. Although I'm sure he understood it to be the truth. I don't remember much else from that meeting except that Pete made the team sound like a true family and he made me feel like they wanted me to be a part of it. I was definitely enchanted by that acceptance. To this day, I'm grateful that it turned out to be true and the connection of this team exceeds anything I could have ever expected or wished for. 

In high school (...and college...and now) I was a super track nerd. I won a DyeStat New Year’s Eve contest for naming 50 athletes pictured in a collage that they made. This was before phones and the Internet were able to do these kinds of things with ease. For those keeping score, I was #Flawless and got them all and earned an oversized t-shirt to prove it. When I looked at the Marist rosters, I saw some familiar names. Colleen Ryan, a fellow Section 1 runner who grew up just a few towns over from me. Matt Flint, a mainstay on the NYS DyeStat threads. Adam Vess, a high school national champion and Green Mountain Running Camp counselor. I got to go on a recruiting trip with Jackie Gamboli, who was dominating Section 1 at the time and Katie Messina, who was fresh off a trip to NXN with her team. I was enamored by the opportunity to be on their team. 

After meeting with Pete, we took a tour (fun fact - I would later go on to give those) and when the tour ended I turned to my mom and said, "I'm going here." 

I applied early decision. I was admitted on December 15, 2008. 

I was accepted to Geneseo, who reached out to me in the Spring after denying me any attention in the summer/fall. I got into Ithaca, but never reached out to the coach. I got a letter from Binghamton that my application was withdrawn because I never finished it. Marist was it and I was eager to start my career as a Red Fox.

Talk about your high school running career at Carmel and your strong connection to the program. When did you start running and how did your high school career prepare you for your college career?

I had incredible high school coaches who are to this day a part of my life. I now coach in the same league that I competed in. I see my high school coaches often and I try to thank them every time for putting up with my goofy, nerdy, untalented self. They were the yin and the yang. One was compassionate, always positive-minded but able to kill your soul with quiet disappointment when you didn't rise to a challenge. The other had unrelenting tough love, but his hugs after you crushed your PR would squish your lungs until you couldn't breathe. They both encouraged an 8th grade girl with a terrible heel-strike, small stride but a big heart and they made her believe she could do anything. Everything I am is because these two inspired a confidence in me. I try every day to be that for my own high school athletes now. 

I joined the modified cross country team in 8th grade because my friend asked me to and because the coach was our elementary gym teacher who was a joy to be around. He gave us candy after races; charms in the shape of "feet" for our necklace after accomplishing goals in practice and at meets; and at the end of the season he let us do his infamous obstacle course in the old gym. I had all the incentive a middle-schooler needed to join. I have always been goal-oriented and each week presented another opportunity to get better. I liked that. I also was doing pretty well - by the end of the season I was in the "top 5." Back then, the Northern County meet in Section 1 had a modified race and the high school coaches invited the top 7 to come run. I ran my first race at Bowdoin where I lost a contact lens and ran into a tree, but still managed to have a great experience. I was invited to join the varsity winter track team. I told them I had to think about it because I was planning on trying out for basketball. I sucked at basketball. Thankfully, I spared myself the embarrassment and chose to forgo the tryouts. From then on it was never a question. I was a runner.

I was fortunate to be on the team with some stellar runners who earned scholarships to Stanford, Syracuse, Haverford, Manhattan, NYU and more. I watched my teammates win section and state titles. I clutched the railing at the Armory, cheering while my teammates won NSIC in the 4x800, running 8:59. I watched my teammate place 3rd at Millrose Games from the luxury of a box seat at MSG. I was surrounded by talent and I wanted to be just like them. I spent countless runs in my early seasons trying to just hang on to be able to hear the conversation and feel like I was a part of the group. I ran my heart out in workouts trying to match their effort. The experience taught me that success comes from relentless hard work. I took that lesson with me throughout my college career and beyond. 

What are some of your fondest memories of your years as a student-athlete at Marist?

There are too many to count. I will pick two. 

First, my senior year XC MAACs when we were stranded in Disney for a few extra days during Hurricane Sandy and had to bus back up north with the St. Peter's team. I made a video of the trip that has since been taken down by YouTube for copyright reasons because I used Disney songs. It was epic.

Second, less grandiose, would be meals at the round table in the old cafeteria. Stuffing too many people to a table. Laughing at people who sat in "the zoo" -- the small dining spaces glassed-in around the useless courtyard (although I remember exactly one time it was used for a sushi night). Seeing how many peanut butter and jellies I could eat in one week (25. #Freshman15) Cramming before a night class test. Sitting with Web, Zak and Jackie (Katie, were you there??) trying to be "victors" in closing the cafeteria by being the last ones to get kicked out. When Curtis Jensen took my phone as a freshman and texted my dad that I was pregnant (Still not sure why my dad liked you so much, Curtis). The simple time with teammates was invaluable. Even if it caused you to have a long, awkward conversation with your father afterwards.

You took a very rigorous load of academics while at Marist. Talk about that, how you were able to balance academics and athletics, and how that prepared you for your career as a teacher.

I graduated Magna Cum Laude with a B.A. in Mathematics, my Secondary Education certification, a minor in psychology and as a graduate of the honors college. But if you rewind to freshman year, you would see me in mandatory athletic study hall with a "W" next to my fall transcript in Calculus I (because I dropped it). I cared deeply about my grades, but I struggled at first with rising to the quality of work that was expected of me. I struggled to learn math when I was on my own, except for twice a week for 75 minutes when I was scribbling to copy whatever my professor put on the board. I was on the younger end when I started college, turning 18 in November of that year. While I was relatively mature 17-year-old, I still had a lot to learn about being independent and educating myself at the next level. 

I was fortunate to have a much better experience in Calculus I the spring. Funny moment from that class: I was taking the class at 8am with Katie and one day woke up to a text from her that said she didn't understand the homework and wasn't going to class. I copied the three problems on a sheet of paper, knocked on her door in Marian and dragged her to class. I caught up by taking Calculus II over the summer going into sophomore year (where I stayed at Marist and worked in the McCann Center at the entrance desk and as a tour guide) and by sophomore year I was started to flourish in the classroom. My junior year I was inducted into the math honor society, Mu Alpha Theta. My senior year I took a chance and became president. It required a fancy speech at the induction ceremony in the Boathouse and it was nerve-wracking, but I'm glad I did it. To this day, I still attend their induction ceremonies and keep in touch with the math department. 

My education classes were pretty generic until junior year where I took Methods for Teaching Mathematics. I was incredibly fortunate to take the class with Dr. McAdam. He introduced me to a whole world of math education that I didn't even know existed. He taught through hands-on activities. He made us constantly self-reflect - a skill that I use each and every day to be a better educator. For example, we would critique our language in order to see the importance of how we delivered content and how it served our students' learning. He made us see the connections between different models and how they could help all students an equitable opportunity to learn math. It was totally different than my own experiences in learning math and I couldn't wait to bring it to my own classroom. 

Dr. McAdam invited me and three other students to speak with him at the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics in Denver, CO that spring of 2013 in the midst of my senior year track season. I remember taking a red eye home on Friday night and landing at JFK, taking a nap, then driving to Briarcliffe College to take an 8AM NYS teaching certification exam, then driving to Stony Brook for a 5k on the track. I ran a decent race then crumbled into my mom's arms crying about how tired, but happy I was. Speaking at and attending the conference changed my career. I was fortunate to speak at two more conferences with him (2014 New Orleans, 2015 Boston) and I was an independent lead speaker at two more (2016 San Francisco, 2017 San Antonio). I was set to attend the 2020 conference this month in Chicago, but it was understandably canceled. The learning I took away from these conferences elevated my teaching and I am grateful that Dr. McAdam introduced it to me. 

The balance between school work and running was challenged during student teaching. There were several of us on the team that were student teaching that semester and we were delusional when we thought it would be like high school and college - going to practice then doing our "homework" to prepare for the next day of teaching. We were all on different schedules and that caused us to be running on different schedules too. I was on my own for training and I learned a lot about myself that semester. I learned how much my heart wanted it (running, teaching, everything) when my body was pushed to the edge of exhaustion. I learned that I need the outlet of solitude that running continues to give me after a high-energy day with students. I learned to stop letting my head win and I gave myself the grace to just put in the hard work and not put pressure on the performance. Ironically enough, it translated into my best two seasons of training and racing. 

Talk about your career so far as a teacher, where you started, where you are now and how things are going? How has "distance learning" and "distance teaching" have impacted your day-to-day existence?

When I graduated, I planned on spending a fifth year to help coach and run. That didn't work out because I was planning on living with athletes (against NCAA Rules) and it was for the better. I stayed in town and I got a leave replacement at the local middle school. My first classroom was located directly next to Pete's daughter's locker. Like, seriously, her locker was the first one. How does that even happen? I moved into a probationary position for 8th grade math and earned tenure. I cherish my experiences there, but I made the choice to take a job that was closer to where I grew up. This is my 7th year teaching and I am now at a school in Putnam County, NY as a 9th grade Algebra teacher. I feel like I am exactly where I was meant to be. 

My last day of in-class instruction was Friday the 13th (of March). We spent the day eating pizza in early celebration of Pi Day (3/14) while we studied quadratics and we were told at 2:00 that school would be closed for "Monday and Tuesday" to deep clean the classrooms. We never went back. My school was incredibly well prepared for distance learning. For the last few years all of our students and teachers have had Chromebooks and we use the Google Apps for Education and other digital tools to enhance instruction. Nevertheless, it hasn't been an easy experience. I thrive off of my students' energy. My instruction is focused on collaborative experiences. My students are always up and moving. Now my students are behind a screen that I can't even see. I am fortunate to be technologically-inclined and I am doing the best I can to keep the rigor high and the lessons engaging. But this whole experience is proving that human connection is integral to a successful education. And the lack of it is punching a damn hole in my heart. I am not required to do any "live online teaching" but I hold office hours on Google Meet every day for students to drop in and get extra help. So many have dropped in just to say hello and see how I am doing. I appreciate it more than they know.

You are also an awesome coach and we are extremely proud of that! What are some of your coaching career highlights and how has the pandemic affected that aspect of your career?

I started coaching at the modified level when I was a first-year teacher and did that for five years. I fell in love with the modies, so innocent and inexperienced. I loved being the person who taught the fundamentals and then watched them grow over their career. By my fifth year, our program was truly instructional. We had clinics with the varsity team. The coaches gave presentations about stretching routines, nutrition, introduction of events, and even "How a Track Meet Works." At my new school, I have moved into the varsity position for all three seasons and my current athletes laugh because I present a lot of the same "lessons" to them. The teacher in me can't give it up. I entered my new school's program when it needed a real rebuild. To build a culture you need to teach the skills and the expectations. We are seeing our program continue to grow and the impact of these "lessons" are coming to fruition.

I am now at a point where my former students and athletes are graduating and going on to college. I'm really proud to watch them move forward and that is probably the highlight of my career so far. I was incredibly excited for this coming track season. We have 140+ athletes signed up for the team. We have a coaching staff of four positions, which was an increase from last year. We had a lot of gritty, multi-sport athletes sign up for the first time. There was so much potential for growth of our program this season. But it isn't going anywhere. I am so proud of how my team is handling this pandemic and staying motivated. Our Twitter account, @pac_and_field showcases their resiliency

How are you and Bill and your family handing the Coronvirus pandemic? What are your thoughts on it and look into a crystal ball and let us know what you think the future holds for us all?

In November, Bill and I sold our townhouse and we are staying with my parents while we look for our next home. It's definitely Groundhog Day, as it is for most of the world right now. But we are all trying to look at it positively. "We aren't stuck at home. We are SAFE at home." We have several educators in the house and during the day at any point you will see someone on a video call, someone on the treadmill (or coming in from a run outside) and someone at the kitchen table prepping for the next day. We have been passing the time with card games, playing "Cuomo Bingo" during the daily reports (looking for common occurrences such as drawing out the syllables in "ven-til-a-tors", mentioning "New York Tough", roasting his brother...), watching Schitt's Creek and making my mom watch Game of Thrones. We routinely tune into Emma Coburn's Instagram lives at night and we actually got to join her one night for a game of "Family Flip Cup." I'm glad she enjoyed our company because we are certifiable fan girls and we were not afraid to show it. 

I pray every day for the first responders, for those who are sick and for the families that are helplessly watching their loved ones battle this virus. The future holds a lot of change. My classroom will look different for a while. When can I give my students/athletes fist bumps again? Will my seniors get the milestone moments they deserve? Will I be able to hug my grandmother again? When the anxiety of these thoughts start to rise, I try my best to steer towards my faith and try to focus on the positive. 

Our seniors lost their final season of eligibility and their final few months of college. What message would you like to convey to them, as well as to the high school seniors that you know?

My heart breaks for you all. It is not fair. It will never be fair. But there will be happy times again. There is so much left for you to do in this world. Focus on moving forward. You have every right to mourn the moments you lost. Give yourself that time, then focus on what you can control. Make the choice to do great things in this world. There is so much left for you to achieve and experience! Especially in running. The alumni jerseys are pretty sweet and you'll still hear a "GO MARIST RED FOXES!" shout out at every race. Once a red fox, always a red fox!

What message of hope can you convey for our returning student-athletes at Marist, as well as any prospective student-athletes to Marist?

Work hard and take nothing for granted. One day it'll all be done and you won't want to look back with regret. Leave it all out there.

No comments: