Monday, April 6, 2020

An interview with FDNY's Pat Ginty


As this alumni interview series (The Pandemic Papers) continues to grow, I’m grateful for all the alums who are taking the time to respond to my interview questions and requests. It’s awesome to re-connect with everyone during this troubling time. Right now, probably the best thing we can all do is make an effort to reach out to everyone – email, text, call, Skype/FaceTime, anything – and keep the “social” in “social distancing.” This week, we have another lineup of really great interviews – one scheduled for each day – and we’re really excited about that. We start the week with a great assist from loyal alum and blog follower Zach Toner, who suggested his classmate Pat Ginty (Class of 2017), who is today’s interview.

We love Ginty. Who doesn’t love Ginty? Pat is such a kind soul, a warm-hearted person who took his many injury issues in stride while at Marist. Ginty was a GREAT runner and racer at St. Anthony’s High School and he entered Marist with much promise that was largely unfulfilled due to injuries. Pat always rehabbed and showed up to practice with a smile on his face, and when he raced, he raced hard. More importantly, he stayed motivated academically, excelled in that area and is now following a proud family tradition in the New York City Fire Department (FDNY). Here, then, are some quarantine questions for Pat Ginty.

You had a great high school running career at St. Anthony's. Can you talk about some of your highlights during your time with the Friars?

It was an honor to run for such a prestigious running program and as an incoming transfer student in my junior year, I was readily accepted by my teammates and developed strong bonds. My highlights included achieving All-American status for the 4xmile relay and winning the Catholic League Championships for XC.

The St. Anthony's-Marist connection is very strong historically, especially in the world of XC/track. Are you proud to be part of that lineage and how did you choose Marist over the other schools that were recruiting you?

Honestly, the minute I stepped on campus I fell in love with Marist and knew this was where I belonged. I made an immediate connection with Coach Colaizzo and trusted that I would be supported in my running and my academics. Marist was my first choice and I was extremely happy to be accepted into the school. I was also happy that my parents were on board as well.

Talk about your time at Marist. From a running standpoint, unfortunately, your career was marred by injuries -- especially to your back. Despite that, you were a loyal member of the team and a loyal teammate. What are some of your highlights of your time at Marist -- both as a student and as an athlete?

Yes, although my running career was plagued with injuries, I’m grateful for the training I received and the races I was able to complete. I was happy to be a part of a great, close-knit team. I worked hard academically and was proud to achieve (MAAC All-Academic) in my junior year. I still remain close with the friends I have made throughout my four years at Marist.

What did you major in at Marist and how has that impacted your career path?

My major was Sports Communication and that really reflects my unwavering interest in all things sports-related. I always knew that I would follow in my Dad’s footsteps to be a firefighter for the FDNY, as he is a Battalion Chief who has served over 26 years and has worked in the busiest parts of the city. The Communication degree was very useful because all careers require effective communication skills.

Talk about what you are currently doing -- you are an EMT within the FDNY, correct? What is your schedule like and what is your typical day or week look like?

I have been an EMT for the FDNY the past two years and my plan is to take the promotion exam to firefighter. This would make me a third-generation firefighter for New York City. My schedule consists of working a 40-hour workweek. My shift can range from 8 to 16 hours. A typical day consists of providing emergency medical care and transportation. The types of calls that I have responded to range from shootings, stabbings, cardiac arrests, and I have even had the opportunity to deliver a baby.

How has the Coronavirus impacted your life -- both at home and at work? Are you working more? Are things crazier than normal? What precautions are you taking? Are you worried about contracting the virus?

The coronavirus has heavily impacted my job as an EMT. We have been extremely busy and call volume has almost doubled city-wide to over 7,000 calls in a day. I wear protective PPE gear on every run, which includes a mask, gloves, and gown. I have been following all of the CDC recommendations in the home such as hand washing and staying socially distant. I am not overly concerned about contracting the virus because I feel that a vast majority of people will become infected and it’s inevitable. I am also a healthy, young person with no underlying medical conditions. My advice would be to stay calm and listen to the advice of the experts of the medical community, because this an extremely contagious virus that can have grave consequences.

No comments: