Friday, April 10, 2020

An interview with Eli Bisnett-Cobb


Eli Bisnett-Cobb is a physical specimen. When you think of the word “athlete,” an image of Eli should pop into your head. Tall, lean, muscular, powerful, dynamic. I’ll never forget the first time I sat with Eli. It was right before his freshman year at Marist, the summer of 2000. We were in the lobby of the old fitness center, near the Gray Gym. The strength and conditioning coach at the time, John Poitras, walked by. He glanced at Eli. He glanced again. He walked by again; another quick glance. After Eli and I were done talking, Poitras found me. “Track recruit? Football guy too?’’ he asked. “Nope,” I said. “All ours. Track and field the whole way. Sorry, man.”

During the next four years, Eli would rewrite our record books – specifically in the hurdle and high jump events. He was our first-ever IC4A qualifier in the hurdles. He still holds our high jump records; his hurdle records lasted more than a decade. He gave our program, mostly known for very skinny but very fast distance runners, some credibility and some swagger in events we normally had neither. In the modern vernacular, we were able to “flex” in some events we normally didn’t.

But the story of Eli Bisnett-Cobb transcends track and field. As a member of the first graduating class in the Athletic Training major, what he would go on to do – what he continues to do – in the field of Athletic Training gave instant credibility to a then-nascent program at our college. Now a well-established part of our School of Science curriculum, the AT major grew in strength and scope, in large part because of successful alums like Eli. It’s been fun watching his career. Like, literally, watching it! Sitting around with NFL games on the TV on Sunday afternoons, some player on the Redskins or Vikings would get hurt, and they would get attended by trainers from their team. I’d shout at the TV: “Hey! There’s Eli!” That was pretty cool. Two summers ago, while out in San Diego with our family, I was able to connect with Eli at his new home at the University of San Diego, where he is now the Director of Sports Medicine. He’s doing great. Still a physical specimen, with now a few flecks of gray hair.

We are proud of Eli as an alum of our track program, as an alum of our athletic program, as an alum of our AT program. As our Pandemic Papers series continues, we are thankful for Eli to take a few minutes to answers some Quarantine Questions. Here is our interview with Eli Bisnett-Cobb.

Where did you go to high school, what sports did you excel at in high school, and how did you choose Marist and focusing on track and field over other sports and other schools?

I went to Ballston Spa High School in Ballston Spa, New York. In high school, I played basketball and ran track and field.I was actually all set to go to University of Rhode Island and study athletic training while participating on their track and field team. Some things fell through during my planning and I started looking into schools that offered athletic training and would allow me to participate in athletics. Marist popped up on my search, I had a good friend’s older brother go to school there so I knew of the school, so I researched a little more, turned in an application the next day and the rest is history. After I went to the open house for accepted students in April 2000, I decided on going to Marist. The next day, I emailed Coach Colaizzo and told him my events and that I would like to try out for the track team, and he called me later that evening and told me if I come to Marist I’d have a spot on his team. Seeing my dad’s face when I told him that tied a bow in the whole decision.

In choosing Marist and during your time here at Marist, how were you able to so successfully manage our lack of track facilities in order to succeed in your events?

The best way to describe it is, “You don’t know what you don’t know.” I was just grateful to have the opportunity to be an athlete and go to school for what I wanted to do. At the end of the day, I took this approach: “It really doesn’t matter what you have access to, if you’re not willing to put in the work what good is it?”  What little we had, it was enough for me with my mindset. 

Looking back, if we had the access to better track facilities on campus, who knows what more could have been accomplished, and not just by myself and teammates, but ALL of the Marist athletic teams. Having a track facility available would vastly enhance the training and conditioning and prep work that all of the coaches, strength coaches, and athletic trainers could utilize to enhance the training and care of all the athletes.  

What was it like being in "non-traditional" events for a program known more for its middle- and long-distance success?

I loved it, honestly. When you’re not expected to be competitive in an event because of the “tradition” of the program, it’s drove me my freshman year. Being able to be able to represent Marist in that way, and put the conference on notice drove me.

What are some of your fondest memories as a track athlete at Marist?

These are in no particular order.

--Meeting my coaches for the first time. I had a quick meeting at the end of my first week on campus and Coach Colaizzo called one of our senior captains, Denis McManus, to come to the meeting so we could meet some teammates. First thing Denis does when he meets me is shake my hand, look at Pete and say, “You said this guy was about my size, Pete!  He’s huge!!” From there started a friendship that still remains strong to this day!

--The last high jump practice we had before Outdoor MAAC Championships my freshman Year, 2001. We had of us getting ready for the event, myself, Denis McManus, and Joe Parizo. Best practice of the year! We all were locked in, talking so much trash to each other and just competing!  All three of us placed at the meet two days later!

--Indoor season my senior year, I had a streak of five meets in a row that I lowered my school indoor high hurdle records, including qualifying for IC4A championships and being the first sprinter/hurdler to qualify from Marist for those championships.

--Penn Relays 2001 was a special one. The first time competing in front of that many people, on such a large stage with such history behind it! 

--The competitive atmosphere that we’d create at practice amongst the sprinters and hurdlers! 

--The friendships the developed off the track.

How did Marist prepare you academically for your career in athletic training?

Because it was a brand-new major at Marist, I was given all the necessary academic knowledge to do well after college, but I was given an outstanding opportunity at all of my clinical sites to put the academic into action immediately and get a true sense of what life is like in the Athletic Training profession.

You were one of the first AT majors here at Marist. The AT major is labor intensive -- a lot of clinical hours along with the usual classroom and lab settings. How were you able to manage juggling both the rigors of the AT major along with being a record-setting athlete?

Time management and staying disciplined is the main thing. Monday through Saturday, I tried to keep a routine so I knew where I needed to be and how to prepare for it. That way, when something came up, I could easily adapt without losing track. 

Knowing my schedule was important, but being able to adapt to changing circumstances is just as important.  Without having a routine to manage all the responsibilities and time, makes it harder to adapt when things need to change for something out of your control, or you want to adjust something to hang out with your friends.  

Who were some of your biggest influences and mentors in the AT program? Do you have pride in being one of the first graduates in that major?

My biggest influence was the late great Glenn Marinelli (Marist’s Coordinator of Sports Medicine) without question. Glenn had an amazing way of teaching you the information by the book, but then given you the insight of how things actually work in the clinic. This prepared me to be able to think critically and use experience with knowledge to gain the best outcomes. I still think of these lessons regularly as I’ve moved through my career.

Current Marist Coordinator of Sports Medicine Jeff Carter (who was at Vassar at the time) was another one early that helped me develop a sense of autonomy and self-responsibility when it came to Athletic Training. He allowed me to make my own decisions and learn from the mistakes and triumphs that was crucial early on in my career.

I have a ton of pride being in the first class of Athletic Training majors to graduate from Marist. I always share that experience with students at my site every year because it was a real big deal at the time to the few of us that made it through. We took a chance on a program that wasn’t even accredited going into our senior year, and it all worked out how we planned.

Describe your career path -- the jobs you've had and the experiences you've had in both the NFL and college athletics. What have been some of your greatest memories and highlights?

--2004-2006, I was a Graduate Assistant Athletic Trainer at George Washington University.
--2006-2008, I was a Seasonal Assistant Athletic Trainer for the Minnesota Vikings
--2008-2010, I was an Assistant Athletic Trainer at University of San Diego
--2010-2014, I was an Assistant Athletic Trainer for the Washington Redskins.
--2014-2018, I was an Associate Athletic Trainer for the University of California, San Diego.
--2018-Present, I’m the Director of Sports Medicine/Head Athletic Trainer at the University of San Diego.

I’ve had so many incredible experiences throughout my career, but some highlights.

--Getting my internship in Minnesota in a non-traditional way
--Member of the Sports Medicine staff for the 2012 NFC East Champions
--Working with two NFL Offensive Rookies of the Year during their rookie seasons
--Being part of 2016-17 UC San Diego men’s basketball team that earned a Number 1 seed and hosted the West Regional for the 2017 NCAA DII Men’s Basketball Tournament
--Countless relationships forged through ups and downs of long-term rehabs
--Seeing all the athletes I have worked with return to doing what they love after overcoming long term rehabs!

You are currently the Director of Sports Medicine at the University of San Diego. Describe your current duties there and how you have settled into the role.

I oversee the Sports Medicine Department.  Some of my responsibilities:

--Manage a staff of six full-time Athletic Trainers
--Athlete care, I oversee all the teams, but directly oversee men’s basketball and assist with Football.
--Coordinate insurance coverage
--Policy creation and oversite
--Making sure all service we provide are best practice
--Coordinate with team physicians
--Communicate with different areas on campus that provide services for scholar athletes
--Communicate with coaches and athletic department administrators.

USD is a Pioneer Football League rival of your alma mater. Is it weird and/or do you have mixed feelings being on the opposing sideline from Marist College?

It’s not weird at all to me. I look at it as competition. Marist still has a huge place in my heart, but I’m a competitor and I want to come out with a win. USD is where my home is now. I want Marist to get the W in every game the play in, except when they are playing us.

This year Marist played us out here, and after the game I was able to visit with Coach Parady, Coach Riley, and Coach Rumsey.  Even though we won, it was the highlight of my afternoon. They all got to see me in the very beginning of my career and had influence on me and my approach as a young athletic trainer on how to work with coaches. To share with them my philosophy, what I’m doing, where I’ve been, really made it all full circle and was a very memorable experience for me.

What advice would you give to any student considering attending Marist?

Time moves quick so enjoy it. Take advantage of all the opportunities. Marist is a great place, and the network for Marist graduates in this country is stronger than you may realize. So, reach out to former foxes for advice, and wherever you go, try and bring a fox with you.

Similarly, what advice would you give to a current student-athlete on the track team at Marist?

If you can’t be a legend in your own mind, how do you expect to be a legend in someone else’s? Meaning, at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is what you believe in yourself. Before every challenge that comes your way, as long as you believe you’ll get through it, that’s all you need to succeed.

Talk about your family life out in San Diego -- wife, kids -- and how you are able to balance your busy schedule with that of your family.

It’s me and my wife Christie, and our two boys -- Tyson 11, and Braylen, 4. I’m Tyson’s stepfather, but I always tell him, “I may not be your father, but I will always treat you like my son.” I find balance in the same way I did in college, but with more communication since we have several moving parts.

My house is very competitive. My wife was a D1 all American volleyball player, and is more competitive than me so it makes for a lot of fun at home. It definitely is evident in Tyson who is one hell of an athlete, but even more a competitor. He’s the type of kid that you have to pull the reins on then light a fire under, and I LOVE that about him.

How has the Coronavirus outbreak affected you, your family, USD and the job you do out there?

For my job, I work remotely most of the week minus a few hours on Tuesday and Thursday, when I go to the office for an essential rehab, and to handle some things I can’t from home. Other than that, we are still in contact with all of our athletes with home exercise plans and constant check-ins. Also, working on a lot of administrative tasks with my staff to improve what we are currently doing.

For my family, we are doing the best we can with it. It’s hard not going to Tyson’s baseball games as we normally would because that is usually a family event that we all enjoy. But we’re finding that it’s allowing me to have more time around my family that I don’t normally get and I really enjoy that. We have a lot of activities to do around the yard to keep Tyson occupied with baseball and wear out Braylen. Add in a competition and we’re set. 

For me, I’m continuing to find the positives in the situation while being realistic about what we’re facing and how to navigate the world for the time being. Focusing on controlling what I can, and not worrying about what we don’t yet know.

Do you still have family back here in New York and are you concerned about the well-being of your friends and family on the East coast?

My parents and brothers are still in New York. My parents have been retired for the past 6.5 years, so social distancing is something that they have pseudo practiced since then. I also have a brother who is an OR tech at a hospital in Manhattan. My other two brothers are upstate near my parents.

I’m extremely concerned about my parents and family, but also know that they have always been hygiene oriented and will take all the precautions necessary to better their situation. Let’s just say my phone call frequency has picked up.

I also have a lot of friends in the Northeast and in particular the greater NY/NJ area, and several that are health professionals. I’ve touched base with most of them and though I’m concerned, they are all just as diligent with keeping themselves healthy as they can.

Anything else you'd like to add ...

I think it’s important for everyone to take the time and make a few extra phone calls, or send a few extra text messages just to check in on someone and see how they’re doing. The one thing that may come as the greatest positive out of all of this is that everyone has a better appreciation for people who are either currently in their life, or were at one point a significant part of their life. Everyone is dealing with this, and some are affected harder by it than others, so who knows how positive effect it may be to give someone a call just to say hello.


No comments: