Monday, April 13, 2020

An interview with Danisha Craig

Danisha Craig (Class of 2018) was one of the greatest sprinters in our program’s history. My gosh, her name still appears on a remarkable eight (8!) school records – individual and relays. She was a quiet and strong presence on our team. My fondest memories of her athletically were the relays. Whenever D would get the baton, she would go out very hard and very aggressively and she would hold on and do the job – whatever that job was – for our relay. On a daily basis at practice, she was a constant, steady presence, for and with our small sprint crew. I think she was the first person to refer to Assistant Coach Terry Horton as “Uncle Terry,” and their coach-athlete relationship was really neat to see evolve.

Like so many of our high-achieving alums, Danisha was a serious student-athlete – emphasis on both words – during her four years at Marist. As an alum, she has serious career aspirations as well. Right now, she is working during unprecedented and tumultuous times on Capitol Hill, getting incredible and amazing experience working for a United States senator. As the Pandemic Papers series continues into this week, we are proud to start it off with some Quarantine Questions and answers from the great Danisha Craig.

How did you become interested in Marist and how did you choose Marist over other schools?

I first became interested in Marist when Spencer Johnson, one of the greatest runners at my high school (Bristol Central), committed to run there! I knew that I wanted to have the opportunity to run competitively on the next level and Spencer recommended that Marist’s track program and academics were worth adding to my list of college choices. During my search, it was important to include a school with a great reputation for academic excellence in the curriculum. Although Marist did not have their own track field on campus, I was won over by its beautiful campus on Hudson River that included its large and well-resourced library! 

As a sprinter, was our lack of on-campus track facilities an issue in considering the school? How were you and your teammates able to manage that situation?

Not having a track throughout my athletic career at Marist, only enforced how important each and every practice was to our training. My teammates and I would use hills, soccer fields, and more hills to build our strength on days that we did not take a trip to Vassar’s track. I am, like many of my teammates, grateful to be able to use their facilities to practice hand-offs, block starts, and 400m intervals throughout training. In our packed van rides to Vassar’s campus, we listened to music and got in the right mindset to train to the best of our ability. Honestly, practice days at the track were almost taken as seriously as meet days! Nothing beat going straight to the cafeteria after a hard interval workout at Vassar. 

Talk about your time as an athlete at Marist. What are some of your fondest memories?

As a Marist athlete, I am most fond of the pride and lifelong friendships I have gained through the team. My fondest memories were the closeness of me and my girls during the 4x400 relay. Knowing that this race was our absolute last chance to display our hard work and training, we made sure to give it our all. Some meets this would be our third race of the day and we REALLY had to give all we had left without any other option. I am not sure if the motivation of my teammates cheering was to pass a competition or to finish up to end the meet, but the energy during this specific relay was absolutely amazing and I was grateful for it every time! 

You and your teammates formed a particularly close bond with Coach Horton. Talk about that and his impact on our program!

Coach Terrence Horton, also known as Uncle Terry, was always full of wisdom for our sprinter group. Because our girls and guys team was usually small and close, Uncle Terry was there to listen to each and everyone one of us in our time of need. I believe it was important for our group to have a coach like Uncle Terry that listened to our specific athletic needs and tailored workouts for the short, medium, and long sprinters. We all needed that type of detailed coaching and I am super grateful to feel heard during my collegiate athletic career. I was able to hit times in the 400m I never thought I could, and I would have to thank Coach/Uncle Terry for every personal record!

You were a record-setting sprinter in your time at Marist and contributed so much to our program. Are you still active athletically and if so, what are you doing to keep fit and strong?

I am absolutely not in the same shape I was during my time as Marist, but I do still keep active by running a few miles at a time. As a “Washingtonian,” being able to see the U.S. Capitol, Supreme Court, and the National Mall all within a 4-mile run never gets old. I have not joined any Crossfit or Barre fitness groups like many of my colleagues, but I can see myself participating in the future.

Talk about your time as a student at Marist. What was your major and how did it prepare you for your future in the working world?

At Marist I majored in Political Science, minored in Women’s Studies, Environmental Policy and obtained my Paralegal Certificate. Being a part of Marist’s ABA (American Bar Association) approved paralegal program was very important to me and I am so glad to have been able to experience and take advantage during my studies. Graduating with a Political Science degree prepared me with the foundation for working in Congress. However, it is also important to note that our track program prepared me with skills to work as a team with a like-minded goal.

Talk about your current career in politics in Washington, DC. How did you get this position, what are your duties and how are you enjoying it so far?

Right now, I am in my second year working in the U.S. Senate as a staffer in Senator Richard Blumenthal’s (D-CT) DC office. I began working in his office right after graduating from Marist and my position is a Legislative Correspondent and Deputy Scheduler. As a Legislative Correspondent, I am responsible for drafting responses to constituents, agencies or advocacy groups that write letters or emails to Senator Blumenthal.

In order to perform my duties, I need to constantly be informed of recent legislation, policies or political events that specifically affect Connecticut or the entire country. As of now, my portfolio includes all environment, banking/economy, and consumer protection issues. Most of my work includes writing correspondence, conducting legislative research, and meeting with advocacy groups as well as other congressional offices. My Deputy Scheduler role is extremely fast paced and each day is never the same. Many joke that Senator Blumenthal is “at many places at the same time” and keeping up with his schedule (even as a person on his scheduling team) is a challenge. As many may know, on Capitol Hill, senators are constantly voting on appointments, legislation, or advocating on the Senate Floor throughout the week/day. This means his schedule is subject to change every hour. Within the last two years, I have learned so much in an ever-changing environment.  
Let's talk about the Coronavirus pandemic. Clearly, this is affecting all areas of everyone’s life. Like most of us, you are working remotely. How has your job changed, how has business in Washington changed and how is it affecting the legislative process – for your legislator, state and chamber?

Since I have started working on the Hill, I have witnessed the appointment of a Supreme Court Justice, a Presidential impeachment, and now a pandemic. Being able to work from home is a privilege that I did not know was possible while in my position. I am thankful for the technology that allows our office to continue to operate and serve the people of Connecticut during this crisis. During times like this, almost everyone is turning to the government for answers. Transitioning to working from home on my single screened laptop and work phone has definitely been a challenge. Work for the past month has almost fully involved COVID-19 relief, including federal funding for hospitals, small businesses and individuals that are directly affected by the pandemic. Truthfully, every issue area has been affected by the pandemic, and working in the federal government during this time, has opened my eyes to reveal all of the constant working operations in our country. I have witnessed our country work directly with members of Congress and the governor leaders within states through the last month to combine forces to combat the pandemic. 

How are you and your family coping with the crisis?

Again, I am lucky to be able to work from home during this unfortunate pandemic. During this time, I am in my hometown of Bristol, Connecticut, helping my family in any way possible. I am extremely close with my two younger sisters, Lynae (13) and Paris (6), and being able to be with them during this time is very fulfilling. While I telework, they are “virtual learning” through the curriculum provided by their schools. We enjoy having lunch together and creating our own makeshift school/office operation in our kitchen. I could not imagine being anywhere else!

What are your future aspirations in politics or career-wise?

I am very grateful to be working on Capitol Hill during this unprecedented time. I plan to become a lawyer and own my own practice. Right now, I am learning every day how legislation is created, introduced and implemented in our country and throughout my portfolio I have gained interest in various policy issues. I have gained a huge amount of pride being from Connecticut and working directly for the people in my state and I am definitely interested in working further in the government sector! I believe I will have a better idea on what my specific aspirations are once I complete law school.  

What message would you give to our current seniors who lost their final outdoor track season and final few months of their senior year?

Losing any athletic season is absolutely terrible, I know that for sure. I think it would be important to spend time with your family and keep in contact with your distant friends. Right now, we are living through a distressing moment in our lives and the most important thing is to focus on your health and those around you. Use this time to learn about yourself or to completely pause and reflect on your accomplishments. Although many people believe your college years are the “best years of your life” I strongly disagree. Post-graduation, with a degree under your belt you will be able to venture out into a new world whether it be another state, different field of choice, or another education program, you will have a completely different outlook and will get past this current pause in our country. 

What advice would you give to current team members and/or prospective student-athletes considering Marist?

Advice I would give to my current team members is to not take any training, lift, or meet for granted. Your track season as well as your physical and mental health is important to properly prepare yourself for your academics, track season, and future after graduation. Your time at Marist will fly by!

Anything else you'd like to add

I would like to thank Coach Pete, Terry, Chuck and Cuesta for a great four years of coaching at Marist. I am so grateful to be part of Marist’s athletic program and to be a graduate of a reputable institution. Go Red Foxes!

No comments: