Tuesday, April 21, 2020

An interview with Elizabeth Wasserman


The story of Elizabeth Wasserman’s first practice at Marist College – after abruptly transferring here from DePaul University – is a classic Marist Running story. She was sitting in the racquetball court (remember, the racquetball court was our “home” for many years!) and – womppfff – she gets clocked in the head by a frisbee thrown by Jenna Robinson, who would go on to be one of her best friends. Our memory of Elizabeth at practice stems from that moment: Sitting, quietly, in the racquetball court. Maybe arriving early because she had no place better to go as a commuter, doing her homework, waiting to run. And oh man, she LOVED the long runs and the long tempo workouts. I remember specifically one tempo workout at the Vassar track, some freezing cold late winter/early spring day, Elizabeth doing lap after lap after lap, with a big smile on her face. She loved tempo runs! I know I thought it and perhaps I muttered to her at some point, “Geez, kid, you’re gonna be a good marathoner.”

Little did I know … that Elizabeth would become a lot more than a “good marathoner” … she qualified for the 2020 US Olympic Trials! She did great down there, too. Ironically, that was one of the last marathons to be held before the running world – and the rest of our lives – hit the pause button more than a month ago. Fortunately, Elizabeth is safe and doing well in her wonderful wilderness home in Montana. Like the rest of us, she’s adapting – working in her tiny apartment in Missoula, Zoom meetings with friends and family, you know, the new normal. During her time at Marist, Elizabeth was a wonderful team member, but also low-key and quiet most days. In today’s Pandemic Papers interview, we are grateful for her opening up and telling everyone her great and inspiring story. We hope that she will keep running strong and perhaps find her way to the 2024 OT marathon. And who knows, maybe some other Marist Running alums will make it there as well. Thank you, Elizabeth.  

When did you start running and talk about your high school running career?

Before I started running, I was always very active. I played soccer and softball for years, and during the winters I was busy skiing. I started running in 8th grade because one of my close friends said I should try it out. I went to Monroe Woodbury, a strong program, so I wasn’t really “good” by their standards for quite a few years. I made my first varsity squad in sophomore year after I won a JV race at Manhattan Invitational. Even after making varsity, I was the 5-7 girl until my senior year. My senior year, I found myself leading the team (as a runner and captain). Things didn’t start clicking until my senior year. That was the first time I felt comfortable and confident in my running. All of a sudden, I found myself toward the front of the pack, and I loved it!! My competitive spirit and drive really grew my senior year of high school. Before that, it was mostly fun and games.

You didn’t initially enroll in Marist out of high school. Describe your pathway to Marist and how you chose us and chose to come back to your home area?

I initially went to DePaul University (Chicago). I thought that I wanted to go to a big school in a big city. There were some perks like class field trips to Wrigley Field and volunteering at the Chicago Marathon, but I quickly learned that I was just a number. I was feeling really overwhelmed in large classes and on a large campus, it also didn’t help that I really missed home. So, I decided to leave DePaul in November of 2014.

My application and decision process happened so quickly. I knew that if I wanted to keep NCAA eligibility for 2015, I needed to transfer directly to a four-year school by January. My local options were slim. I was deciding between Marist, New Paltz, or Vassar. In a lot of ways, the decision was made for me. Vassar was not accepting any more transfer applications and New Paltz wouldn’t have accepted credits from my previous school. I just kind of wound up at Marist.  I attended a meeting with a Marist admissions counselor after I narrowed down my choices to one, applied in his office, and got my acceptance into Marist right on the spot.

I knew I wanted to continue running at Marist, but transferring midway through the school year was a little difficult. I tried to get into touch with Chuck a few times through his email listed on the Red Foxes website. At the time, it wasn’t his correct email, so I just falsely assumed the coaches and team weren’t interested. The admissions counselor I met helped me find the team. He knew Chuck and gave me the correct info to touch base! The rest is history :)

How was your transition to another school (Marist) and the adjustment of moving back home and having a relatively long commute?

I think the transition was relatively easy because I was able to go home. That was such a big reason I transferred from my first school in the first place. Choosing to live at home was an easy decision. At the time, transfers had to live in the Residence Inn down Route 9 and then were barred from living on campus in the future. So, living on campus as a transfer wasn’t really a thing anyway.

Driving to school seven days a week was difficult, but I did it without complaining because it had to be done. Pursuing an education and running was something that I wanted to do. My mom always told me I was preparing for the real world because no one can roll out of their bed and take a 5-minute walk to work in their pajamas…. (look at us now, Mom!)

Talk about your time with the Running Red Foxes. What are some of your best memories and career highlights of your time at Marist?

I could really go on and on… I remember the practices, van rides, and FroYo Mondays much more than any of my races. Here are some of my favorite memories….

  1. My very first day of practice. I was sitting in the racquetball court talking to someone and then I was hit in the head with a frisbee. Jenna (Robinson) threw a frisbee at me…. We’ve been great friends ever since!
  2. Long runs! It was my favorite day of the week (still is my favorite day). I almost always added on a campus loop with Lizzy Peper to reach 13.1 miles.
  3. Disney my senior year. I am absolutely terrified of amusement park rides, but I decided to be “brave” while in Disney. I went on the Tower of Terror after the MAAC dinner with Bryn, Bianca, Jenna, and Roxy… Let’s just say I will never do that again! But something got into me that night because after the Tower of Terror, we decided to go back to Magic Kingdom to get on more rides before the park closed (we made this decision around 11 p.m.). So, we ran to the Disney Shuttle and asked the driver to drop us off at Magic Kingdom.  We ran into the park and got on Splash Mountain immediately (Yikes! … again), and we even had time to fit in the Small World ride! I’ll never forget running around Disney World after hours!
  4. One time I slept past my alarm and missed the bus to William & Mary my senior year. Jenna called me in a panic - she thought the worst happened. But I called you (Coach Pete) and you were so understanding and were willing to pick me up on the way down! THANK YOU! I went on to PR in the 5K.
    1. There was a thunderstorm a few hours before the 5K was supposed to go off. They suspended the meet for a few hours, so we ended up running the 5K close to midnight. I ran a 5K PR that night (18:00). I ran that 5K with some of the LD Ladies and I believe we all PR’ed that night!
  5. The first time I ran the 10K was really something! Looking back on it, I think it was the best track race I’ve ever had. I remember you and Chuck cheering so loudly, especially as I was running through the 5K at my 5K PR! That was an exciting night!

Talk about your academic career at Marist. What did you major in and study and how has it prepared you for your post-collegiate career?

I majored in History. I cannot speak highly enough of the entire Liberal Arts Department at Marist. The small class sizes and the individualized attention was exactly what I wanted in an academic program. The classes were thought provoking and challenging.  I can thank the History Department for my critical thinking skills, my ability to research thoughtfully, and to make informed decisions. I constantly find myself applying the skills that I learned as a “historian” to make sense of our current political and economic landscape. I’m thankful that I can view our complicated world with a critical eye and form my own opinions based on research and knowledge.

I am confident that my Liberal Arts degree landed me a job in the National Park Service. The Park Service tends to hire individuals with interpretative skills and interpersonal skills, both of which I gained from my Marist Liberal Arts Degree. The main duty of any Park Ranger is to educate the public of ecological, historical, and cultural sites. We make people care about resources, so one day they will care for them. We do this by taking tangible resources and linking them to intangible ideas to help cultivate personal and emotional connections.

I would love to further my career in either the endurance sports industry or a federal/state land management agency. I frequently take classes, attend workshops, and view webinars to stay relevant and up to date in both fields. I guess we will see where I end up in a few years!

Speaking of which: Tell us what you are doing now out in Montana? How did you get to where you are and how are you enjoying it?

I currently live in Missoula, Montana. I came to Montana in 2018, one year after graduation from Marist. I landed a seasonal job with the National Park Service at Glacier National Park! Can we talk about a dream come true?! I was a Visitor Use Assistant in the Visitor and Resource Protection Division. I fell in love with my job and Montana immediately. I came back for a second season in 2019 and decided that I didn’t want to leave the mountains. Permanent NPS jobs are hard to come by, so I knew that wasn't an option (at least this young in my career). I knew I needed to look elsewhere to find a job to keep me in Montana.

Currently, I work for Run Wild Missoula as a Program Coordinator. Run Wild Missoula is a local running club and non-profit that organizes events and activities for runners and walkers of all ages and abilities. It is also the parent organization of the Missoula Marathon. I coordinate the planning of classes, social media efforts, recruiting of volunteers, member communications, member benefits, and I coach the Missoula Marathon and Half Marathon training classes. Our efforts were recently featured in a Runner’s World Article. I am really proud to work for an organization that is nationally recognized for its efforts in the running community locally and beyond (we are often ranked one of the best races in America year after year).

I LOVE living in Montana. The landscapes are beautiful, the flora and fauna are unreal, the people are kind, and the food is delicious! I am so happy that I took a risk to live and work out here two years ago. I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else. Between the running, hiking, and skiing opportunities, I think Montana is an outdoorsmen or outdoorswomen dream location!

Talk about your post-collegiate running, which has been nothing short of spectacular! How did you modify your training to reach the heights you have reached now? Was making the Olympic Trials in the marathon always a goal and how did it feel to achieve that?

I signed up for my first marathon one week after graduation (Philly 2017). My goal was to qualify for Boston, which at the time I thought was a longshot. Training for my first marathon was less than ideal - I suffered from a concussion in July and in late September I twisted my ankle. I essentially had two months of training (August and September), I took October off completely, and then ran for about two weeks in November. I didn’t think of scratching the race because it was something I really wanted to do. I knew I could do 26.2 miles, even if it meant walking. Crossing the finish line in 3:07 was a pleasant surprise. I signed up for the NYC Half the day after Philly.

Making the Olympic Trials was not always a goal. My first goal and only goal for a long time was Boston. After Philly and achieving my Boston goal, I needed a new one. I learned about the OTQ after Philly - I didn't know it was a thing or what it meant until December of 2017. After doing my homework, my new goal was to OTQ.

After Philly, was when I first realized my potential. I started to train like a serious marathoner should. I increased both my mileage and intensity. I modified my training to include regular long runs, tempo runs, and speedwork. However, my main goal has always been to train smart, keep it fun, listen to my body, and avoid injury.

I was thrilled to achieve the OTQ last year at the Boston Marathon. Admittedly, it was a bit of a battle to get in the Trials. I had to write an appeal to USATF because my chip time was 2:45:00 and my gun time was a few seconds slower. Typically, USATF only accepts gun time for championship events like the Trials. I had a solid argument and was confident they’d accept my appeal. I didn’t officially get into the Trials until late May, while I was driving out to Montana. We were leaving the Great Smoky Mountains after a day of hiking and headed to Nashville when I got the good news. I was in limbo for over a month, so I didn’t really get to celebrate my OTQ achievement in Boston. Even though I didn’t know of my status for over a month, I was still really happy after Boston because I had the opportunity to run and set a new PR.

Tell us about your Olympic Trials experience. You did great down there! What lessons did you learn from it and what are your future aspirations – are you aiming for it again in 2024?

Whenever I think about the OT experience, I am at a loss of words. Usually left speechless and muttering around to get something out. It was an incredibly humbling experience…. Nothing like walking down for breakfast and seeing Jordan Hasay or Sara Hall standing next to you!

As fun and amazing as it was, it was also a very hectic and stressful experience. I was so busy that I regret I didn’t get to soak it in and fully enjoy the experience. If I’m fortunate enough to have the opportunity in 2024, I am going to take a chill pill and soak it up.

The race itself was HARD. The hardest I’ve ever done. I’m unhappy with my time, but I am really happy with my place. I was seeded second to last and came away in 278th. Also, I finished. SO many people dropped. As I was running, people were dropping like flies. It wasn’t a perfect race (they never are), but I am really proud of my efforts. That race proved that I am tougher than I thought!

I am very grateful that the race happened when it did. If it was just a few weeks later it probably would have been postponed or canceled. It would have been hard for my goal/dream race to have ended that way. I’m always thankful for the experience, but especially now. I am also very thankful I got to see my family and friends down in Atlanta before the pandemic hit home.

I haven’t been regularly running since the OTs. Running competitively is not on my radar right now.  Ultimately, I’d like to qualify again in 2024 under the current “A” standard (sub 2:37). However, I can’t see myself running another marathon until 2021 or 2022.

From what some alums tell me, the runs and workouts you post on Strava are legendary. Get into more about how you are training – weekly mileage, workouts, etc., and if you are self-coached or if someone is advising you in your training? Whatever you are doing, keep it up!

I love Strava and the ability it has to keep us all connected. It’s fun and inspiring to see other Red Foxes out running and training hard. It’s brought me in touch with present and past Red Foxes. It’s neat! :)

I am self-coached. A lot of the workouts that I’ve done are really just adaptations of things that I learned from my high school coach - Chris Goodwin and my college coaches - Coaches Pete, Chuck, and Erika!

I run between 85-95 miles a week. I do a tempo run, speed work, and long run workouts regularly. Tempo runs range from 8-12 miles at pace, speed work will add up to about 8 quality miles, and the long run workouts are 16+ miles. I lift 3x a week, I do band work and drills every day, and I also practice yoga a few times a week! I don’t really have a “go-to” workout because I like to mix things up. I enjoy long run workouts the most and my favorite gutsy workout is the “Michigan”. 

Have you taken a break from training currently/what is your current running looking like?

I’ve been running 3-4 times a week since the Trials. I’ve been trying to get out on the trails more! Missoula is known for its accessible and well-maintained running trails so I’m trying to take advantage of it. On days I don't run, I’ll go for a walk or hike. There is very little structure to my training right now, so I’m just getting out every day and enjoying the fact that I can still exercise! I’ve been flirting with the idea of going after my mile and 5K PRs this summer (5:08 and 18:00).

You mentioned some of this in your email back to me, but how are you managing/coping with the pandemic currently? Much of your family is back here in New York and things are different out in Montana. How is that for you mentally and physically?

I am very fortunate to be where I am right now. Montana has about 400 cases and my county has less than 40. Governor Bullock issued a Stay at Home Directive early on, which I think has helped control the spread in Montana. The trails and parks in Montana are still open so I am able to run, walk, and hike freely. I am grateful to have access to our public and open lands during this time.

I am currently working from my little apartment in Missoula. I just wrapped up my third week at home. Working in the endurance sports industry is crazy right now. It seems our whole world has been turned upside down. Everything is being shifted to a virtual experience, postponed, or canceled. It’s a lot of work to stay on top of all the tasks that require an event or activity to be moved online or postponed successfully. It’s important that we stay relevant and continue to encourage people to recreate safely. My goal is to keep people motivated and engaged with our local community through running or walking.

I always miss my family, but especially now. Thankfully, they are all healthy. I talk on the phone and Zoom with my family a lot. We are all spread out across the country, so we are experiencing coronavirus a little differently. My sister is living in LA and my brother is finishing up his senior year at UAlbany. My parents are still in the lower Hudson Valley. Regardless of where we are, we are all taking the stay at home orders seriously. It will be extra nice to have my family visit when it settles down.

What message can you give to the current seniors at Marist who have lost their final outdoor track season and last few months of college?

First, my heart goes out to all the students and athletes that lost their last few months of college. It’s not fair. But I think in times like this it’s important to be grateful for everything that you had the opportunity to experience. You were privileged to attend Marist College - such a great academic and athletic school and program. You rewrote the record books for our program and I’m sure you took that same drive and dedication to the classroom. No one can take any of your accomplishments away from you. It’s okay to be upset about how things ended, but there is still a lot to be grateful for.

If you could give current student-athletes and/or incoming or prospective student-athletes advice on Marist, what would it be?

To current students I would say, take advantage of athletic and educational opportunities, make meaningful connections with your Professors and peers, and take classes that truly interest you!

To prospective students, ask a lot of questions, ask adults close to you for their thoughts and opinions, and be willing to go out of your comfort zone.

Enjoy your time at Marist, don’t forget to have fun, and it’s okay if you don’t have it all figured out yet!

Anything else you’d like to add …

*Thank you to all the Red Fox Doctors, Nurses, Law Enforcement, and other Essential Workers during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
*Shout-out to all the Teachers and Professors who have literally had their world turned upside down. Keep making a difference in the lives of students!
*If you are able, make sure to run or walk every day. We all need some fresh air and exercise in times like this.
*Thank you for including me in the Pandemic Papers and featuring me alongside inspiring alums! 
*If anyone has questions about a Marist Liberal Arts degree, the Federal hiring process, or running know that I am available.
*Last but not least, Go Red Foxes!

No comments: