Friday, April 24, 2020

An interview with Jen (Stewart) Ellison

As we hope to continue and expand the variety of interviews for this Pandemic Papers series, a little crowdsourcing doesn’t hurt either. We’re grateful that these posts are gaining some traction on social media, because Lord knows self-promotion is not high on my skillset list. And so it was very neat that I received this Facebook message from Jennifer (Stewart) Ellison, Class of 2002, earlier this week: “Hi Pete, hope you are well! I’d love to be interviewed – I could tell my story and transition from throws/jumps athlete to short distance triathlete to long distance triathlete to marathoner to trail runner to cyclist/time trialist to Olympic weightlifter (current!). Hahahaa!”

In the message, Jen didn’t even get into her successful career in optometry and her still-strong connection to Marist and our school’s role in shaping her career. Well, that’s what the Pandemic Papers are for now, isn’t it? Again, we are proud of the diversity of a program that is generally considered and regarded as a distance-running based community. This series has been able to highlight several non-distance athletes and alums. And isn’t it head-scratching (in a great way!) that several of these former field event athletes have gone on to forge great post-collegiate endeavors in endurance sports? Thank you, Jen, for reaching out. I had to dig deep into the recesses of my memory to your time on the team 20 years ago, but your answers sure helped in rekindling some great memories.

Please refresh my memory of your high school career in track and how you wound up at Marist as a non-distance athlete. Were you recruited? 

I went to New Paltz High School. I was a jumper (long, triple, high), thrower (shot put), hurdler (100m) and pentathlete in high school. I also played field hockey and competed in gymnastics as well as equestrian events. I was a walk-on at Marist.

Talk about your time as a student and as an athlete at Marist. What did you major in and how did it set you up for your career?

I was a pre-med/biology major at Marist. I am beyond thankful for the rigorous course load I had at Marist -- it prepared me well for optometry school!  I had wonderful relationships with my professors. I am still in touch with my advisor, Dr. Bettencourt, who retired a few years ago. I still return every year to present to the Intro to Health Professions class about optometry as a career. I was supposed to be there early March, which was cancelled -- this would have been my 13th year presenting I believe!  The academics at Marist were challenging, but my education was nothing short of top notch.

What were your events in track and how were you able to balance that with academics and with our lack of facilities?

While at Marist, I competed in indoor/outdoor shot put, long jump and triple jump.  It was a challenge to balance practices with academics, especially since my labs were almost always scheduled 2-5 p.m., which was when practice was held.  There were occasions when I practiced in the morning alone, or one semester I was able to do my lab as an independent study so I could attend practices. I did a lot of my sprint work either in the gym or in the parking lot, or would drive to the local high school to throw and jump with some of the male field events athletes. I also was very active in the weight room and worked with the weight coach to develop a program for me as a jumper and thrower, and would go in on my own time to do that as well.  There were very few female field events athletes while I was there, so a lot of my workouts were on my own!
It was difficult to balance academics and athletics in college – but the time management skills I learned really helped when I went to optometry school (our second semester second year we took over 40 credits!)  I was always able to continue working out even with adding academic and clinical challenges.

What are some of your biggest highlights of your time as an athlete on the track team at Marist? How were you able to adequately train for your events?

I broke the indoor shot put record in my very first meet as a freshman in 1998, and that record still holds, more than 22 years later! I also still have the outdoor triple jump record, which was set in 2001. I have one collegiate win under my belt as well, I won indoor long jump at a West Point meet as a junior or senior (I can’t remember!)  I always enjoyed competing at the MAAC championships, as well as the meets at the Armory and West Point. As a fields event athlete, our facilities made it tough, but we always found a way!

Tell us about your post-graduate career, academically and your work history?

I graduated Marist in 2002 with a BS, and from the New England College of Optometry in 2007.  I currently am a partner in a multi-doctor practice in Norwalk, CT.  I also started a sports and performance vision training facility in 2016 called Performance 20/20. We have been fortunate to work with athletes in the NHL, NFL, professional figure skaters, squash and lacrosse players, and youth and college athletes in almost every sport.

I’m currently on the International Sports Vision Association Advisory Board, and was awarded the Theia Award for Innovation for my work in sports vision in 2019.  I write for a number of publications, and am a speaker at national meetings and conferences.

What are you currently doing and how is it being impacted by the Coronavirus pandemic?

Currently both offices are closed (as of 4/21/20!)  We are providing emergency care through telemedicine for my optometry practice and are in the process of designing remote training for our sports vision practice.  I’ve been writing 1-2 articles a day for magazines and journals, presenting webinars, guest appearing on podcasts, and homeschooling! 

Speaking of the pandemic … you have two young children … how are you and your husband managing the work-life balance now that you are probably all stuck at home?

We early on set a routine to make sure we can get out workouts in, home-school our boys (ages 4 and 7), and work on our businesses.  My husband is my partner at Performance 20/20 – he works on our operations.  We are launching some new programs, so we are both busy working on that.  We try and finish early on nice days so we can take our boys out for a walk or bike ride.  We set up a garage gym (for my weightlifting), a basement gym (for more weightlifting), in addition to our treadmill, bike trainers and swim trainer (my husband is an elite triathlete).  We never have to leave home to work out!  It’s been nice to be home for dinner each night and not be traveling!

As you stated in your FB message to me, you’ve had quite a journey as an athlete since your time at Marist. Talk about everything you have done – from Marist to triathloning to marathoning to trail running and now … to Olympic lifting?!? Give us your highlights and your current and future goals?

After optometry school, I wanted to get back into sports and competing after a few years of “just” working out at the gym. I went with a friend to watch a triathlon in 2008 and was instantly hooked. I signed up for my first race in 2009, without knowing how to shift gears on a bike, swim or run longer than a half mile.  (ha!)  Somehow, I finished that first sprint triathlon, placed 3rd in my age group, and spent the next almost decade competing in races from sprint triathlons to completing two Half Ironmans. I also met my husband at swim practice in 2010!  He is a nationally ranked age group triathlete and has competed in the World Championships in Kona twice.

Along with triathlons, I have completed a number of half marathons, the Philadelphia Marathon (2014), 5 trail races, open water swim races, a century bike ride (100 miles), numerous road races and won my age group in the New England Time Trial Cycling Championships in August 2019. 

My next goal is to compete in Olympic Weightlifting (!). I was a powerlifter in high school, and have lifted consistently since then. I started working with a coach in March, and since then have been training in my garage. I hope to compete this year with a goal of qualifying for the USA Weightlifting Masters Championship in 2021. I have also considered a return to shotput/long jump - a good friend was a thrower in college and we have thought about Masters Track and Field events! Sometime down the road I’d love to do an Ironman- the training time is just too difficult right now- but it is on my list!

Do you have any insights into the short- and long-term future of the Coronavirus from a medical perspective? What do you think we can expect as “new norms” for the short- and long-term?

That is a great question! We are putting protocols in place for when our office reopens (unsure that date as of now).  We will seeing fewer patients and continuing to implement social distancing, mask use and very frequent disinfection. I think this will be the new normal for the time being!  Here in Connecticut, we have a large number of cases, so we are doing our part to stay home and stay safe.

Are you still in touch with your friends and teammates from your Marist days? What medium/social media method do you use to stay in touch with them?

Yes!  That is one of the best uses of social media (Facebook/Instagram).  I love seeing what everyone is up and to and pictures of their families.

As you know, our senior student-athletes lost their final track season and their final few months of their college careers. What message can you give to them and what takeaways can you give to them from the lens of someone who graduated from Marist nearly 18 years ago? 
 
I’m sad for the athletes who did not have their final spring season, or a spring season at all for the current students. But athletics don’t have to end at graduation. I love being active and athletic and have continued to compete and challenge myself even 18 (!!) years after graduation. There is no reason to stop competing or continue evolving as an athlete -- opportunity exists if you are open to seeing it. If you had asking me in the spring of 2002 if I thought I would even compete in a triathlon or run a marathon, I wouldn’t be able to answer because I would be laughing too hard! Sports and athletics have shaped my life, career and my family and that has continued long after Marist graduation. Continue to keep in touch with your friends, teammates, professors and coaches -- my 4 years at Marist were some of the best times in my life. And take lots of pictures!!

Anything else you’d like to add …


I am so proud to be a Marist grad! I have also had the great opportunity to write letters of recommendation for 3 high school students (and now Marist students!) who knew how much I enjoyed my time at Marist.  One student is also pre-med currently and wants to be an optometrist!

No comments: