Saturday, April 8, 2017

Rider Invitational: Gone with the wind

It was an intense (in-TENTS?) scene right before the beginning of the meet on Saturday at a windswept Lawrenceville campus at Rider. We set up our team tent and camp over by the softball field, just past the pole vault and horizontal jumps areas. I was standing there, talking to Terry Horton, when all of a sudden several athletes shrieked out to me: "Pete!" "Coach!" Our team tent was airborne and heading in our direction. The phrase "this job is killing me" almost took on a literal meaning as the behemoth of a tent came hurtling our way. Fortunately, we barely stayed out of harm's way and we were able to retrieve the tent and fold it back up. I know. I know. I KNOW. We should have brought tent stakes. Next time, for sure. Was it really THAT windy at Rider today? Well. Actually? It was. Whoa. The results will bear this out. Thanks to Eamonn Beers (side note: He PRed in the 1,500 today!) for providing me this photo.

No comments: