Friday, October 23, 2009

Toenail talk

OK. More than one blog follower sent me this link to a New York Times article about ultramarathon runners getting their toenails permanently removed. So I figured I'd do a short post on it.

Pretty disgusting idea, wouldn't you say? In case you are too lazy to read it, some hardcore ultramarathon types have their toenails permanently removed by having "acid poured onto a nail bed for permanent removal." Lovely. Sounds like fun, huh!

The folks that sent me the link know that I dabbled in ultras for a few years -- a handful of 50Ks, a couple 12-hour runs, a 40-miler on my 40th birthday. But I am/was nowhere near hardcore enough to do this.

For a long-distance runner, toenails can be a bit of a nuisance. My good buddy and longtime coaching compatriot (and now blog follower!) Phil has some of the ugliest toenails I've ever seen. Sorry, pal. It's true! Me? I have a pesky, right big toenail that keeps getting black-and-blue, then falls off, then regrows. My wife is grossed out by it, and with good reason. It's pretty gruesome looking.

Yucky toenail syndrome is seldom a problem for collegiate distance runners. If and when it is, however, I would certainly NOT recommend the acid treatment. I think our men and women agree on this: If they were to spend additional money on mangling their bodies, they'd much rather get tattoos.

Memo to men's team members: We need CARS for practice today! We only have one van. Thanks, and see you then.

1 comment:

BS said...

From probably the only ultrarunner and regular reader:
Bad habits, unfortunate feet and refusing to accept an increase in shoe size are probably the main reasons for severe toenail damage.
Along w/ the usual causes for ingrown nails, some curl their toes down when running.
If your big toe isn't the longest, well what do you expect?
I wore 9 1/2 at Marist and now wear 10 1/2 but can wear sandles in public w/o the looks of disgust Phil gets.