Monday, October 26, 2009

MAAC moustache

It happens like clockwork three times a year.

At practice, the men's runners start looking a little scraggly in the face. In some cases it's quite humorous watching these uneven, ungainly patches of seemingly random facial hair. I begin to wonder what the deal is and then I remember:

MAAC moustache time!

In the days and weeks leading up to whatever MAAC Championship is in season (cross country, indoor track, outdoor track), the boys try (usually in vain) to grow their MAAC moustaches -- I guess in an effort of solidarity, team spirit or whatever. Kind of like NHL players who grow their "playoff beards." Right, Phil?

And while it's technically called "MAAC moustache," several of the boys try to grow full beards, goatees ... or, if I remember correctly, one year Hopkins got a killer, circa-mid-1980s mullet for a MAAC Championship in the past. Or maybe it was ICs?

Anyway, when did this MAAC moustache tradition start? I do not remember. I do remember Quinn having some of the more creative fu manchu style moustaches ready to rip for whatever MAAC meet was upcoming.

So parents, alums, friends, beware. That's not the New York Islanders getting off the bus at VCP on Friday, but rather your favorite, scraggly Running Red Foxes.

Programming note, for those interested: The MAAC meet is Friday at VCP. Women at 2; men at 2:45. Weather is looking pretty good. The park is a mess with construction, and parking could be tough as the Heps (Ivy League Championships) are going to be there as well, before our fancy races.

Plan accordingly, and hope to see you there. Feel free to sport a MAAC moustache of your own. Me? I just shaved this morning, but I'll have some growth ready for Friday.

8 comments:

BQuinn said...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30218990&id=1105253624

i am a big fan of the maac moo-stache. i do prefer the fu-man however. me and belge tried really establishing a tradition of the maac stache senior year. a tradition i'm glad to say keenan valiantly upheld. i will say that we molded our efforts after Hopkins.

keenan said...

Mr.Quinn I appreciate the shout-out to my ability to grow facial hair when the Red Army could not (cough) Rolek (cough). It's okay though, they'll hit puberty soon enough. I hope to see Webs continuing the effort!

CT said...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30218990&id=1105253624#/photo.php?pid=30218989&id=1105253624

this is better

BQuinn said...

whoops, that was the one i ment to post.

BQuinn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rolek said...

hahaha. Quinn, that picture gets me every time. Legendary stuff. And, Keenan, I DID grow a MAAC mustache at every MAAC meet my senior year. Mine, just happened to consist of 8 blond hairs which could only be seen by tilting my head back while the light shined on it a certain way. Dam.

keenan said...

I'm sorry Rolek. I did forget. But you didn't start growing your staches 2 weeks till MAACS. No, no. You showed the most dedication and began growing immediately out of the womb.

rolek said...

touche