Saturday, September 17, 2022

‘You’re doing a great job, coach’

It was just another moment in just another day – a glorious, late-summer/early-fall day. Wednesday. The cross country runners were dispatched on a moderate 10-miler. Time to go check on the sprinters, which started Camp Terry (preseason training with Coach Terry Horton) this past week. On Wednesday, they were doing some short hill sprints from the base of midrise hill. A quick drive over to the admission/midrise parking lot with one of the athletic department vans (so I wouldn’t lose a coveted parking spot with my own vehicle in the McCann lot). An old man starts walking toward us, the guy locks eyes with me, firm handshake and says, “You’re doing a great job, coach.” Wow. Who IS this? I’ve been around a long time and have crossed paths with hundreds of guys like this, but this guy eluded me. That’s because I had never met him. But, he knew who I was and knew what I was doing. More accurately, knew of the fine work of the athletes in our program. Very, very neat. This guy – a true gentleman, by the way – is Bill Zabicki, proud Class of 1966, Marist College. Mr. Zabicki was a pioneer athlete in Marist Athletics, part of the nascent rowing program of the early/mid-1960s. As a young man, he was also a successful rowing coach. He went on to a long and distinguished military career, 25 years in the U.S. Army, where he proudly served our country in the Vietnam War. We talked for a while, maybe 10 minutes. Mostly, I listened. Marist is a special place because of its association with special men (and women) like Bill Zabicki. In a long-overdue tribute (according to people who know a lot more about rowing than I do), Mr. Zabicki will be honored this weekend by having a crew shell named in his honor. It was humbling that this guy knew about us. He follows Marist Athletics avidly from afar (he lives in San Antonio). “You guys had some good sprinters, I see.” So yeah, this guy pays attention. Highly neat. Nice to be recognized. Even better than this old guy is getting his due, his long overdue moment in the spotlight. Nicely done!

1 comment:

Lchase said...

I returned to campus (for the first time since your 50th, Pete!) for the Alumni Row and boat dedication on the 17th. Bill Zabicki and the "pioneers of women's rowing" - the first decade of female rowers - were recognized. It was a well-deserved tribute for both. I didn't have the chance to talk to Bill, but it didn't take long to get the sense that he is a top-notch guy and an easy pick for dedicating the boat. During my time at Marist, I never gave too much thought to the red fox alumni. Only now do I realize that it was the efforts of all those who ran and rowed before me that made those teams the special places they were and paved the way for the opportunities that were provided to me through those sports at Marist. I'm grateful for it all. Your commitment to the Marist runners --current and past--and entries in the blog have also illustrated the impact of prior generations of Marist runners. Thanks, Pete. You ARE doing a great job!