Sunday, January 10, 2021

Cuttin' grass with Sturgill Simpson

As referenced in a previous post, I’ve been doing a lot of walking. It’s time consuming and can be tedious except for my trusty earbud headphones. When I’m not listening to yawn-inducing podcasts, the latest music to fill my ears has come from Sturgill Simpson, who recently released two bluegrass-themed albums called “Cuttin’ Grass” – and they are outstanding. I know, you’re probably shaking your head at the idea of “bluegrass” but I urge you to give these albums a try, especially Volume 1. Simpson is a genre-breaking artist – when they try to call him country, he sounds more like Americana; when they try to call him Americana, he sounds more like country. My advice: Don’t try to pigeonhole his music. Just listen to it for what it is: Real good. At the very least? If you want a chuckle, Google the lyrics to his song “You Can Have The Crown” …

No comments: