Monday, January 4, 2021

Pandemic Papers: An interview with Kathy Gould (Class of 1983)


As we continue to forge forward with the Pandemic Papers series in the early days of 2021, we expand the scope of it today by including Kathy Gould (Class of 1983). Kathy was not a runner on the team back then – fun fact, the women’s team didn’t begin until two years after she graduated! – but her connections and contributions to our program are many, they are significant, they are strong, and there is no more avid follower of this blog (which we greatly appreciate!). Kathy is the matriarch (fancy word!) of a truly Marist Family. She met her husband, Chris, while both were undergrads at Marist back in the early 1980s. Her daughters Kelley and Annie are both Marist alums and proud Forever Foxes of our program. Kelley’s husband (Billy Posch) and Annie’s future husband (Ken Walshak) are both Marist alums and proud Forever Foxes of our program. She refers to them – her husband, her daughters, her daughters’ current and future husbands, as the Core Six, and I am grateful to count all six as near and dear friends. The “near” part is real! Kathy and Chris live in Stormville, just 40 minutes from the Marist campus. Kell and Bill and Annie and Kenny have both recently settled into homes in Hopewell Junction. Highly neat!

In this interview, Kathy does a great job of recounting the earlier days of Marist. Our time at Marist overlapped briefly – my freshman year was her senior year (1982-83). We didn’t know each other, but it’s a virtual certainty that we shared the same space at the same time in the Pub, Skinner’s and/or Renaissance (maybe two or more on the same night, in some cases!), not to mention Donnelly Hall, which back then was pretty much the only classroom building. And yes, we never called Champagnat “Champ” … I agree with that! I vaguely remember references to Phi Tappa Kegga. My memories of the original River Day are far from vague; they are vivid, and Kathy’s descriptions of them brought me back to the top-secret nature of that moment in time.

Fast forward to the Modern Era, how we got to know Kathy and Chris in our respective adulthood years. We have always been blessed with outstanding family support in our program. Kathy was a great unifier in that area, commandeering our tailgates – especially at cross country meets. Because both their daughters ran for us and their careers overlapped, the “Gould Era” in our program lasted for two cycles with enough memories in those glorious years to fill a lifetime – for them, for us. She misses it greatly? We miss THEM just as much! Fortunately, the legacy of the tailgates continues. Athletes boarding buses with full bellies and enough food to last a week (not to mention the old man up front mooching chocolate chip cookies from them) remains a strong tradition, and Kathy is responsible for truly marshalling that.

Again, with the “Core Six” living so close to us, it should be easy to remain connected. Ah, but what is “easy” during these times? Other than a few walks here and there, we haven’t been able to see them as much as we would like. Kathy mentions endless Zoom calls and Google meets, of their 2020 world. My gosh, that Internet connection up in Stormville must have been industrial strength! Four adults, streaming meetings all day, and wearing a groove into that treadmill when not staring at a screen? Things should start loosening up. The kids are off on their own in Hopewell Junction, rail trail close at hand as long as there’s no snow. There’s even a dog added to the mix now! (Don’t worry, there’s not an entire question and paragraph devoted to THIS Luna, unlike the Sami interview!) On a personal note, Kathy’s loyalty to the blog means a lot. There have been more than a few moments when I wonder if it should continue. Blogs are quite an antiquated mode of communication in the social media age; most current members of the team either don’t read it or aren’t even aware of it (self-promotion is not in my skillset), and I can’t blame them. My motivation to do upwards of 400 posts a year – in our heyday, that’s where we were at -- has faded. Especially in 2020, other than the Pandemic Papers interviews, my posts – and my desire to post – waned greatly, to the point where I felt “why bother?” much of the time. Folks like Kathy and Marty McGowan and Mike Murphy and others inspire me to keep going. There may be lean weeks and months, but I’ll do my best to keep it going.

Anyway! This was a long-winded introduction. Let's get right to the fun stuff. Thanks to Kathy Gould for putting so much time, effort, thought and love into this interview. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, and the great ride we’ve had with the entire Core Six, with more fun and different memories to come.   

You and Chris went to Marist back in the Dark Ages compared to younger generations. What was the Marist of the late 1970s/early 1980s like?

Oh my, where do I even start. Dennis Murray (DJM!) began his storied career as President of Marist while we were there. He was and continues to be the man, always gracious, always kind. He and his wife Marilyn gave so much of their lives to Marist and even came back for Round 2. Well done, DJM!

There were only three dorms, Champagnat (NOT to ever be referred to as Champ!), Leo and Sheehan. The only learning areas/classrooms were in Donnelly and some rooms attached to Champagnat (not CHAMP!). You had to wait on line to get your classes using pencil and paper with preferential placement to upperclassmen (this promoted many 8:30 a.m. classes for the freshmen L). We actually used books for reference, not computers. There were no cell phones, only pay phones which usually had a line waiting to use. I remember praying that my mom would answer the collect call because my dad would deny the collect call charge. We had “Mixers” (dances) in the caf once a month, sometimes live bands would be there! We got actual mail from the post office in the bottom of Champagnat!  If you were lucky, your parents would throw a $20 bill in a card. Nobody had a car and if they did we would stuff 15 of us in it on Friday (pay day!) to get snacks and beverages for the weekend, which usually started on Thursday. 

Where did you go to high school and how did you decide on Marist back then?

When I was a senior in high school, my family moved from Brooklyn to Carmel, NY. My dad, a Retired Lieutenant Detective with the NYPD, wouldn’t let me go to the local public high school (which did very well by both of my daughters!) so I ended up going to what is now Kennedy Catholic, in Somers, NY. It was a horrible transition from the city to the country. I played a good game of basketball back then. Having five brothers, they always needed me for even teams so I was a pretty decent guard back in the day. I actually didn’t begin my college career at Marist. I received a basketball scholarship to Mercy College and because of the free tuition, my dad made me go to Mercy. I was miserable. I finally convinced my parents to let me take out the loans and go to Marist for the spring semester. My dad was of the ilk that if you wanted to go to college, you needed to figure out a way to pay for it. I arrived on Super Bowl Sunday 1980 and the first person I met was someone I had gone to St. Vincent Ferrer parochial school with in Brooklyn, Don Gately.  Leo 6th Floor was my new home. The rest is history. I fell in love with Marist from Day 1 and never, ever felt any different. I met Chris that night too and no it wasn’t love at first sight … he had a stupid looking cowboy hat on and was listening to the Grateful Dead, enough said.

Tell us some "old stories" about your Marist days: Skinner's, the pub on campus, River Day, anything else. Remember, I'm also a vestige from that era! It can be as uncensored as you like ...

Old stories could get me into trouble. I will limit it to a few. Fun fact: I lived in the first Marist-owned house directly across Route 9 from Donnelly. Then it was 63 North Road, today it’s Steel Plant. Yes, there was a bar in the basement of Champagnat called the Rathskeller, we called it The Rat. It evolved into The Pub, very original. Nobody proofed you to go in (legal drinking age was 18 back then). The first video game I ever saw was in the Rat. PacMan! I was not from the gamers. If you were lucky enough to know the bartender like us, it made for a very inexpensive night. I remember sitting in Beck parking lot on the day of Kelley’s graduation.  We got there early and Chris and I were reminiscing about how this very parking lot was once Skinner’s Bar and before that Frank’s Bar. We had great times in those old haunts. Fun fact, I was served the last quarter draft at Frank’s before it closed.  (Yes, draft beer was 25 cents on certain nights). One of the only other establishments that stand out that we would walk to (remember nobody owned a car and there was no Uber) was The Renaissance, NOT Rennys! Why would you shorten such a sophisticated name?!

I remember when John Lennon died on December 8th, 1980. We had a memorial sing-along vigil to him in the courtyard between the Student Center and the theatre. We packed hundreds of us into that tiny space. It was profound!

River Day was always the best. (I can see Bohan, Shea’s dad, lighting up right now!) Before legalities came into effect, a “Committee” of Seniors decided on the day, the River King, the River Queen, Zoo house and other ridiculous awards. You always kind of knew when it was going to happen but we literally got alerted by seniors sticking flyers under our dorm room doors at the crack of dawn that this particular day was in fact River Day. Nobody went to school and the party started early. We convened at the River just outside of the tunnel. My senior year, I lived off-campus in a house on Parker Avenue with seven guys. Growing up with five brothers this was always my comfort zone. Chris lived a block away on Gifford Avenue. His rental house had at least 10 satellite dishes attached to it. Very fancy place! Our fake (but very real to us) fraternity was Phi Tappa Kegga. Proudly, we won Zoo House at River Day and it was our pleasure to host the after party on that insane day. P.S. The “Keggas” did no community service but they made a distinct impact on the Marist Community.

What was your major at Marist and who were some of your favorite professors/classes from back in those days?

I was a Business Administration major with a concentration in Marketing and minor in Psychology. I remember the amazing Roscoe Balch, various Marist Brothers, Vinny Kochkar and Jake Maness. My Senior Internship was helping Jake run the Internship Program, which was under his guidance at the time. I really did enjoy the marketing classes and took anything Jake was teaching. I loved and am an advocate for the Core curriculum as well. I loved learning outside of my chosen major.

How and when did you and Chris meet and have you been together ever since?

As stated previously, I first met Chris on Super Bowl Sunday the very first day I transferred to Spring Semester 1980. We were very good friends at first. He left Marist for a bit to earn the funds to pay his tuition so upon his return on my birthday in 1981 we started dating. So, 39 years later, here we are … nobody makes me laugh like he does and we really like each other so it makes the empty nest thing a little more bearable. 

What year did you graduate from Marist and what direction did your life and career path take you after graduation?

I graduated from Marist in 1983. The job market was horrible and the interest rates were through the roof. I was lucky to get a job with an attorney in Carmel just to get by. I then had various marketing/sales jobs but was very happy to finally land in a company where I worked my way up from Advertising Sales Manager to Publisher at 28 years old. It was a very busy job where I wore many hats and had a staff of about 65 people.  After Kelley was born, I left the business. Thanks to Chris, I got to spend 10 amazing years raising Kelley and Annie. I spent a great deal of time at their school and decided to ask for a job there; 18 years later, here I am.  I am a Teaching Assistant in Special Education and I love it. I am also fortunate to have a small tutoring business. Shaping little minds makes me very happy, even the neediest. Education during this pandemic has been insane. If you know, you know.

Did you play any organized sports growing up? How and when did you get started with your running/jogging habit?

I always played and coached CYO softball and basketball. I never considered myself a “runner.” I’m more of what I call a “shlumper.” I get it done. I put in 3-5 miles, 6 days a week and I do it privately. I dislike running with anyone else but I do like Social Distance walks, especially with Luna!! I have never run a race which is hard to believe when surrounded by a family of runners. This is why people like Mary Christian (Mariah), Kathy Nesi (Nicki), Louise Valentino (Mark) and Ginny Townsend (Brian) are all heroes of mine. All of them have the guts to run races and do good things for their communities and causes. I know how hard you tried to get me to run races, Pete. I did donate but sadly, I didn’t run. I much prefer to spectate and cheer. That’s the passion part of running for me.

What pathway did Kelley and Annie take to get into running as their sport?

While both girls were active in softball, soccer and basketball, cross country was a total fluke for Kelley. Her friend Laurel asked her to join Modified Cross Country in seventh grade so she did. She did very well and the sport lit a fire inside of her. She loved all things running from seventh grade to this day. My dad nicknamed Annie “MeToo” because everything Kelley did Annie wanted to do. She was already indoctrinated into meets and practices and our Carmel Running Club family so she just wanted to try it. Her first indoor race was at Rockland Community College. She ran a 600 lol; she wore XS spanks that were hanging off of her and when she finished she threw up in a garbage can. I will always be proud of that first performance. My girls had great high school coaches who really took each one under their wing and gave them the base they needed to run at Marist. I am forever grateful to Schwark and Cargain and of course to Pete and Chuck. We have and will always consider you family. Watching the girls race during high school and college were just the absolute greatest days! However, watching them both train and run and finish within minutes of one another in the NYC Marathon was easily one of the top highlights of my life. I’m so proud of them both on and off the track. They are fantastic daughters, wonderful educators and amazing humans! 

I vividly remember when you and Kell came to visit Marist that first time. Were you secretly hoping she would choose Marist?

Of course, I was secretly giddy when we visited Marist. The day before we had a disaster of a visit to an extremely liberal college in Connecticut. Even the coach was an idiot. When discussing the pros and (many) cons of the visit and then sitting in silence reflecting, Annie piped up from the back seat of the car and said “Let’s face it, that place wasn’t for you!” She had more to say, but I will leave that there. So, the next day we went to Marist. You met with us, Pete. You told us “Marist recruits the person first before the runner” and the rest is Gould history. Kelley was smitten immediately and applied Early Admission.

How thrilled were you guys when Annie also chose Marist?

Annie had a tougher time making a decision about Marist, but the coaches and the team sold her. We visited many more colleges with Annie but ultimately the decision was hers. Of course, we were thrilled. Kelley was a senior, Annie was a freshman, one stop shopping for meets, what more could we want?!

You and Chris were (and still are!) avid supporters of our program and we'll never forget that. You basically created the Marist XC tailgate genre and we certainly appreciated that as well! What are some of your fondest memories as "Marist XC Parents" and how much do you miss it (we miss you!)? 

We miss it terribly. The tailgates were our pleasure to coordinate. Parents were always so generous, the kids loved it and it was a great way to connect with our kids before they were whisked off in the big red and white buses. The parents are some of the sweetest people I have ever met. VCP was always my favorite venue … taking victory pics on the tortoise and the hare statue and knowing the athletes were sent home with plenty of food always warmed my heart. Of course, the MAAC Championship at Disney was the best!  Both girls running in the same race was awesome! Hurricane Sandy was impending and when Father LaMorte was at the gate next to us to fly home, I saw it as a sign that we would be OK. Sadly, a whole group of athletes were “stuck” in Florida at the most magical place on earth. Felt so bad for them, NOT!!  What a great experience for them! 

We also used to love to host the XC pre-season get together for the women’s team at our house, which is only 40 minutes from campus. The team building events were a blast. I still remember telling the freshmen in my welcoming remarks to call their parents and that texting “LOL” and “TTYT” were not acceptable forms of communication. I loved seeing the freshmen feel such an immediate connection to the entire team on their first week of pre-season. This is why the blog was and is such a great way for parents to get information and celebrate the good “times”. Even though I don’t have a horse in the race anymore I live vicariously through the current athletes. 

Kelley and Bill's wedding was one to remember -- a true celebration of all that is good about Marist. Many of yours and Chris' friends from that era were there. In your opinion, what makes Marist such a special place, where such strong lifetime bonds are formed?

It’s hard to say why our group is still so connected. We all truly love each other and get a big kick out of each other. One of my longest friendships is with Corinne Schell, who may be employed at Marist longer than you Pete.  She’s doing a great job with admissions on the West Coast. My very first night at the caf, we sat next to each other.  I noticed her name on a notebook, Corinne Strange. So, I took the chance and awkwardly said “I know a Kenny Strange, he used to be a cop with my dad in Brooklyn.” Well, Kenny Strange was in fact her father and we figured out that we used to play in play pens at get togethers at each other’s houses. How crazy is that?! I am blessed to say she is truly my oldest friendship.

The tables of our Marist friends at Kel and Bill’s wedding meant the world to us. They all enjoyed the walk down memory lane so much. The wedding was in the Marist Chapel. Fun fact, Father LaMorte (who married Kel and Bill) was our priest at Marist as well. That’s how long he has been affiliated with the campus. Even back in the early 1980s we would go to the caf for dinner on Sunday and then hit 7 p.m. Mass.

The Phi Tappa Kegga alumni also have a texting thread aptly named “Mensa Meeting.” Not a day goes by that this group doesn’t text about politics, sports, current events -- nothing is off the table and it warms my heart when Chris bursts into hysterical laughter while looking at his phone. Sometimes he will share, sometimes he won’t. I’m OK with being on a need to know basis.

How has the pandemic impacted you and your family's life? Where do you see things going in the short- and long-term?

The pandemic has been an extension of an already stressful year. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in June 2019 and after surgery and radiation I am happy to say I am doing well. So, I was glad to see 2019 go and had such a feeling of gratitude heading into 2020. I’m a very prayerful person and spend time each and every day in prayer and with devotions.You sent me a prayer after my diagnosis, Pete, and I still say it every day. Thank you for that.

When the pandemic hit, Kel and Bill were living with us while their house was being built. Prior to the pandemic we were four ships passing in the night … working, teaching, tutoring, coaching, running, repeat.  Then it was a dead stop with all of us spending an amazing amount of time together. The waiting line for the treadmill was crazy some days. Annie and Kenny brought Luna (black lab puppy) into our lives and were able to start raising her while teaching remotely. We spent crazy amounts of time with four of us Zooming/Google Meeting at the same time in various rooms of the house. I guess the one thing we are all grateful for is the amount of time we were able to spend as a family. The six of us have kept our bubbles small and spent a great deal of quality time together. I will be forever grateful for that. The quarantining has been a pain but it has been necessary. I hope to get my 87-year-old mother vaccinated so she can go back out in public again and so my brothers can come visit her again. She misses everyone so much. It’s been horrible on the elderly. 

Obviously, the vaccine gives way to hope and bit of despair. What are the side effects? Will we regret taking it? Have they trialed it on pregnant women? Will my mother get a reaction? I pray about it every day. So, while the future is hopeful, many of us have to make decisions about a vaccine during an unprecedented time.  Hopefully God is watching this situation and will make it all right. 

Anything else you’d like to add …

I hope I haven’t bored anyone to death here. It was cathartic to go back in time so thanks for asking me, Pete. Without Marist there would be no Kathy and Chris or Kelley and Billy or Annie and Kenny. I am so grateful for my core six (and Luna)! And Marist should be grateful to us for a collective 28-plus years of tuition lol!! 

Don’t ever stop the blog, Pete! It means more to many of us Forever Foxes than you will ever know!  Thank you!

Chris and I will remain forever grateful to you and Chuck for so many things … the love and support of the Marist community is truly amazing and it never goes away. If you know, you know.

P.S. I really wish I dedicated this much love and thought into my studies at Marist … my GPA would have been amazing…

P.P.S… BUY THE BOOK “SESSIONS” BY MARIST ALUM BRIAN TOWNSEND!  IT’S AN AMAZING, QUICK READ THAT WILL CAPTURE YOU!!! AND THEN GO AND WRITE A WONDERFUL REVIEW ON ALL THE SITES THAT LET THIS AMAZING AUTHOR CONTINUE WITH HIS OUTSTANDING WRITING!!  NEXT UP, I NOMINATE NICKI NESI TO START PUBLISHING!!  IT’S TIME GIRL, LET’S GO!!


No comments: