Thursday, January 3, 2019

Capital punishment


Those of you whom I regularly text know that for years I will sometimes randomly lapse into ALL CAPS for no particular reason. Again, no particular reason, other than a stubborn case of immaturity and refusal to Act Like and Adult. Speaking of which? Our current leader, President Trump, our Tweeter in Chief, has made Random Capitalizations mainstream in his torrent of Tweets. (Note: This is not a Political Statement or a Political Post … so don’t start sending me Angry Texts!) And yes, for effect, he’ll go into ALL CAPS mode like me. But it’s the Random Capitalizations that drive wonky and nerdy journalism teachers (yeah, Those people) crazy. But now, in the “if you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em’’ spirit, I have begun to Randomly Capitalize words in my texts (and For Effect in this Annoying Blog Post as well?). Hey. Look. I get texts from Highly Educated and Well Respected students with “words” like “prolly” and “Imma” and “tryna” … so the Generalized Breakdown of proper grammar has reached epidemic proportions in our world now, hasn’t it? And, here’s the thing! No one much Cares about this anymore, do We? Even the good gray New York Times has given up; rather than Correct our president’s Tweets, they just quote them verbatim. Again. Who Cares. Right? OK. Enough. I’ll try to avoid such churlish behavior here in this Fancy Blog for 2019. We’ll see how that goes …

1 comment:

Steve said...

This drives me crazy too Pete! It must be our generation because grammar was never my thing to begin with yet I can't stand to see it mangled as badly as it has become. Happy New Year to all our Foxes in 2019.