Sunday, November 1, 2009

Fan Mail

It happens, like clockwork, every year.

Some angry local driver calls the College to complain about those skinny runners with Marist shirts on.

Oh, they are jaywalking across Route 9! Oh, they are running five abreast up West Cedar! Oh, they are so dangerous and they are disrupting traffic!

It always trickles down to me, and I am told to have a word or three with my athletes. I get annoyed and frustrated that the only "recognition" we get is negative, despite the countless hours and miles we spend methodically removing the rubber from the bottom of our running shoe soles through our hard-earned miles.

And then, the other night, I got this email. It made me smile, and I share it with you here tonight.

Subject: Second place finish at your conference meet

Peter, the hard work of your runners paid off. While on my way to work the afternoon shift at Mid Hudson Bridge, I have seen your runners practicing over here in Highland. You surely have them working hard. By all means please have them keep up the good work. And best of luck for the rest of the season. Richie Matthews, Red Fox Club and Mid Hudson Bridge.

No comments: