Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bowdoin Boys

Last Friday, I was down at Bowdoin Park for the Section 1 state qualifying meet. Presumably, I was there for recruiting purposes. And I was. It was a productive day. The thing I was looking forward to most was seeing some of my old Marist runners in action as high school coaches.

I was bummed out to hear that Gilby Hawkins is coaching modified this fall and thus was not at the meet. But I did see Pool from Dover (still Mr. Sunshine, as always), Pat Driscoll from Tappan Zee and Joe Scelia from Brewster. A few Brewster boys are looking at Marist. Although I was not able to see them race because I had to hustle back north for my own team's practice, I was glad to catch up with their coach.

Joe looked great, but he was really nervous as he knew his boys' team was in for a dogfight in the Class A race. As I was winding up my team practice, I heard via text that Joe's Brewster team won the sectional title. I also heard that Pat's TZ girls romped in their race.

Congrats to Pat and Joe on their team titles! Great to see them having success in the coaching ranks. Best of luck, men, to your respective teams at the states -- which this year is up near the North Pole, from what I can gather.

No comments: