Friday, September 11, 2009

These ladies like country!

A regular follower of this blog -- I won't name names, but let's just say he "put the hammer down" as a member of the Marist track team back in the 1970s -- told me at Bowdoin Park last week that I needed to stay true to my word and mention the women's team more in this space.

Fair point, and point well taken. The women's results will be posted here as quickly as the men's results, with commentary as warranted as well.

Also, Chuck and I have altered the way we go about our day-to-day operations this season. We are attempting to stagger the men's and women's teams quality days (workouts), so that we can be there for all the quality days and also help with the transportation of our large teams.

And so, Thursday was a Hill Repeat day at Bowdoin Park. While the men stayed back and ran distance from campus, the two team vans headed down to Bowdoin for the women's workout.

My van was filled with exclusively freshmen women. This is not hard to do, the way Chuck has masterfully constructed this team. There are a LOT of freshmen and a LOT of sophomores, all thanks to his strong recruiting the past two cycles.

Anyway, the freshmen ladies were talking away, so I seized the opportunity and put the country station on the radio. Now, if I were to do this in a guys' van, Vess or Janczyk or some other schmoe would immediately change it to 104.7 and crank the "hit music" that I so despise. This scene was different. I didn't care for the country song on the radio, so I switched the station. And one of the ladies complained, wanting me to keep it on!

This is wonderful! This is great!

I have no problem driving this team around, that's for sure.

And in all seriousness, this system works well because we will get to know both teams much better throughout the fall cross country season.

1 comment:

peter said...

thanks for the mention. Sports is the last section to get the new Westchester fonts and typesize, starting Monday for Tuesday's edition. Paul Smith came around to say goodbye, I guess Matt is gone, Kathleen is in Harrison, it's all downhill- I guess XC wishes there could be MORE downhills!