Friday, April 3, 2015

Hangin' with my favorite Science Guy

I'm not sure who told me this -- or if I made it up myself -- but I often say that “when one door shuts, another door opens.” This thought was in my head today. While I would be and should normally be in Virginia for Colonial Relays, instead I remain back home recuperating with from last week's leg surgery. However, this enabled me to get driven over to Vassar College for the following Biology Department Spring Seminar: “Biomechanical Analysis of the Skeleton Push Start in Elite and Novice Athletes,’’ presented by Masters Candidate in Biology and Vassar College assistant track coach Justin Harris. Of course, we know Jut as our loyal and beloved Marist Running Alum and school record holder.


Justin is on the verge of completing his graduate degree in Biology, all the while being in the midst of a busy and successful track season with the Brewers. This seminar was a big part of his Masters work, something that he has been studying, testing and working on for a long time. In this case, just so you know, “skeleton” is not a bag of bones but rather the Winter Olympics sport in which athletes hurtle themselves down a treacherous, icy path at speeds of up to 80 mph. You know. It’s one of those sports that the world only pays attention to every four years. Anyway, Justin’s research involved the methodology of the best and most effective push starts for this sport. His presentation was long, detailed and extremely interesting – especially given the amount of exhaustive scientific research involved. Normally, any presentation that involves my sitting for a long period of time would have me sleepy, but I was literally on the edge of my seat the entire time.

So yeah, I might have a busted up leg, but that enabled me to walk (or, in this case, hobble) through an open door and into the world of a young man with a bright future and of whom we remain very proud.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Pete for attending and, obviously, for all your support for the past 13 years! Who would have ever guessed any of this?

Jut