Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Chair's-eye view

In a continuing effort to get back into a sort-of normal routine -- as much as we can do that on CRUTCHES -- I was at practice at the Vassar Track both yesterday and today. Among the many reasons we love our neighbors at Vassar College: They have allowed me to drive my minivan to the track, so I can avoid the long walk (or crutch) from the parking lot to the track.

Today, with help from a few guys, I set up shop near the start/finish line in a chair. It's an interesting view compared to my usual standing position, and enabled me to see running form a bit better. I did stand up with my crutches as well, especially when I got excited and wanted to make a point. But mostly I sat, especially today as I was at part of two practices. In a sign that I am slowly getting back to normal -- although there is a LONG way to go -- I had my first self-deprecating pun in a while. When I wanted to make a point to one of our athletes, I said, "Uh-uh. No way you are doing THAT. I'm putting my crutch down on that." (You know. As opposed to "putting my foot down ..." yeah, lame ...)

No comments: