Sunday, March 25, 2018

A Palm Sunday tradition


For Catholics and Christians, we enter the holiest week of the year, starting today with Palm Sunday and concluding a week later with Easter Sunday. The Palm Sunday Mass is among the most lengthy of the year. During the Mass this afternoon, our daughter Natalie fashioned crosses out of the palms (as you can see). This gave me chills and reminded me of my youth, when my grandmother would do the same thing. She would hand the palm/crosses out and implored us all to put smaller ones in the glove box of the car for good luck and safety while driving. Why did this give me chills? Natalie was named after my grandmother, my father’s mother, who lived downstairs in our house growing up. Somehow, some way this symmetry was eerily neat, and you would like to think that somewhere on high, the original Natalie Colaizzo is smiling down on us all.


No comments: