Thursday, April 4, 2013

The wheels on the bus ...

OK! We have arrived in Newport News, Va., at the hotel where we are staying for the Colonial Relays at William and Mary in Williamsburg. This makes two long bus trips in less than a week, on the heels of our trip to Richmond. This is a lot of miles on the I95 corridor in the JTR Transportation busses. Even though this trip was longer in terms of time, it went by smoother as we hit fewer traffic snags.

Personally, I have a difficult time getting comfortable on a bus ride. I am always squirming to get comfortable and trying to keep my backpack and laptop bags and food bags in order so that I have some leg room. It never works. My brainstorm for this trip was to sit at the very back of the bus, where I might have more leg room.

This plan was thwarted by our interesting caste system of seating. You know how people are creatures of habit, right? When you go in a classroom, inevitably you sit in the same seat week to week. If someone sits in your seat, you feel like your space was vaguely violated. Here in the adult world, the only comparison I have is our monthly head coaches' staff meetings in the Hall of Fame room at McCann. Each coach has their specific spot, and if one coach moves a seat, it throws everyone off. Well, on the bus, everyone seems to have their place. Coaches always sit up front. Always. The sprinters, for the most part, occupy the back of the bus. The rest of the team scatters about in somewhat random fashion. But Coach Pete, in the back of the bus? No-no-no-no-no. And so, I was back at the front of the bus for the ride, squirming and reading my New York Times.

Only 10-12 more hours to go on the bus!

No comments: