Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fifty seconds slower, but nothing to be "Mad" about

Looking 'mad' at Mad Dash
On Monday morning, I ran the Mad Dash 10km race in Rhinebeck. I love this race. The 6.2-mile course is a single loop and one of the nicest, most scenic courses you will find. Because of my terrific lack of leg turnover, I am not a big fan of "short" road races like 5ks. The 10km distance is about as short as I can go anymore without feeling like it is an all-out sprint from the start. 

My time was 50 seconds slower than last year, but interestingly I finished in the exact same overall place -- 26th. A quick glance at the results showed that I finished fourth in my age group. But alas, for some reason, I was listed as a FEMALE finisher -- I could not even crack the trophy stand in that division. After correcting my gender, it turns out I was a much more appropriate 8th out of 25 in my age group. 

2012 result: 43:38/7:02 pace, 8 of 25 in division
2011 result: 42:48/6:54 pace, 5 of 16 in division

Just like last year, Marist Running Alum David Raucci was a sweetheart in pacing/encouraging his old coach through the second half of the race. He pushed me through the few short hills in the second half, and enabled me to maintain/increase pace along the way. My first mile, 7:08, was the slowest of the race. A nice way to run it. David, of course, was floating like a butterfly over the pavement, at the relatively pedestrian pace for him. Watching him jog next to me was like seeing a feather skimming on a ball rolling downhill. Thanks, buddy!

No comments: