Saturday, April 14, 2012

Home and away, part 2

It’s a reality of the nomadic life of a track program and a track coach. Today is Opening Day in our town’s Little League program. A Saturday in April. Hmmm. What are the chances of a track coach having a Saturday in April free?

So yeah.

Another Opening Day will be missed.

This year, my youngest son James is very excited as he enters the Rookie League, a step above T-Ball. He is a little young for this – he’s technically supposed to be in T-Ball. So before leaving this morning, I went over all the things he needs to remember:

--Bat back.
--Eye on the ball.
--Level swing.
--Don’t step in the bucket.
--Run to first base if you hit the ball.
--Hustle in the field.
--Listen to your coach.
--Derek Jeter's the man.
--Red Sox stink.
--Have fun!

I’ll admit to being a little bit of a nervous dad. I wish I could be there. But my kids understand the deal. I’m here as much as I can be. But a Saturday in April, for a track coach? Not likely.

Play ball!

No comments: