Monday, May 25, 2020

An interview with Steve Pierie


We all had bad hair. Although this may not be clearly obvious from some of these photos, rest assured it was the mid- to late-1980s. Bad hair was good hair back then. Many of us – too many of us – had mullets. In most cases, our hair was puffy, feathered and just plain awful. But did we care? Of course we didn’t care! It was the 1980s. We had bad hair and we listened to bad music. Nostalgia aside, these are almost universally indisputable facts. Today’s Pandemic Papers takes a trip back to a somewhat lost era of Marist Running. Steve Pierie was a freshman in the fall of 1985, on a cross country team that featured numerous seniors – including me. He describes meeting me and his new teammates at our coach Steve Lurie’s running camp – Beginning Trails Running Camp (Hill Busters!) in or around Andes, NY (where’s Andes? … look for “nowhere” on the map, and Andes is in the middle of that). I seem to remember that year at camp, getting lost on endless country roads and not finding my way back to Camp Oquago after nearly 3 hours of running; this was way before Garmin watches but it’s safe to say I ran well over 20 miles that day. No one cared or thought to send out a search party. They just figured I was going longer because I wanted to – I had that reputation back then. I remember eating and drinking an enormous amount upon returning to camp, thankfully before dinner ended. My nickname, to which Steve refers (Girder Pete), had to do with my freshman year in high school, JV basketball, when I took a last-second shot that went clear over the backboard and got stuck in the metal that holds up the backboard and rim, as time expired. It was hilarious to everyone but the skinny point guard who was humiliated at the poor aim. The nickname Girder Pete persisted throughout high school; it persisted in college only because I was stupid enough to tell my teammates this story.

After Steve’s freshman year, I graduated in May of 1986. I didn’t start coaching until early 1991. Steve populated three years of the five-year gap when I was not directly affiliated with the program. Although I was still in Poughkeepsie, working at the Poughkeepsie Journal, I was not all that close with the team during that tumultuous era of the program. The volatile nature of the team back then kind of robbed Steve of what could have been a much better college career, but based on his answers here, he harbors no bitterness and seems grateful for his time as a student and as a runner at Marist. Which is neat! To be able to stay in touch with him and reconnect with him after all these years is special. Equally special is his loyalty to our program. He follows the team. He knows the team from afar (Steve lives in Kentucky). That’s really cool. Aside from exposing my silly nickname and the very obscure running shoes I wore back then, there are some great tidbits of information in here. “Debbie Bell” … one of the three women’s coaches during his time at Marist? All of you probably know her as Deb DiCaprio, who is the dean of students at Marist and oversees athletics. She’s been at Marist her entire professional career. And yes, one of her early duties was as women’s cross country coach. He also notes that his hometown of Waterloo, NY, is the birthplace of Memorial Day (good timing with this post!), although Wikipedia tends to disagree with this claim. Fun facts aside: It’s pretty cool that Steve is still running and still active in the running community where he lives. And it was great to hear about his life journey during the past 31 years. Thanks for doing it, Steve, and thanks for staying connected to the program. You are a true Forever Fox.  

It was a loooooooong time ago, but how did you become interested in Marist, choose Marist and what other schools were you considering? Were you recruited?

I grew up in Waterloo, NY; a small, two stoplight town known best for being named the Birthplace of Memorial Day and as the hometown of Tom Coughlin (he has a giant mural painted on a downtown building). I assumed that I would attend Syracuse University. My dad graduated there and I spent enough time on that campus as a kid attending games at the Carrier Dome that I could probably walk the campus blind folded and get my way around. My best friend in high school and I decided to go there together. I thought I would go into sports broadcasting because of my love of sports. I represented my high school on a weekly sports radio show. It was fun. My only concern was that the logical side of me thought the odds were long for making it successfully in that industry.

My senior year, I took a course in Basic, an introductory programming language and I just loved it. I now felt I knew what I would like to study in college.  I also wanted to continue running if possible. So I started looking at colleges that offered computer science as major. I spent time looking at brochures and became intrigued by Marist. I filled out the form and planned to visit the campus. As all of us “Forever Foxes” know, once you get on campus you get hooked!  Everyone was friendly, the campus was gorgeous and with IBM’s presence coupled with a dedicated dorm for CS majors it was a no-brainer. Syracuse did not have a great computer setup and really wasn’t interested in me as a runner. So despite getting accepted at both schools, I had to tell my best friend I wasn’t going to Syracuse.

Somewhere in there, Steve Lurie started calling me. I assume he got the information about me and was interested in having me join the team. He arranged for me to visit campus again – I took my first airplane flight compliments of Marist. I don’t remember much about the visit, just the thrill of flying, and the excitement of meeting the team.

Tell us about your high school career. When and why did you start running, what were some of your high school running highlights, what high school did you run for, and any other details from that long-ago time?

I attended Waterloo High School. I pretty much played every sport you could as a kid; baseball, basketball, football etc.  In 8th grade, I was asked to join the high school tennis team. All you had to do was pass the physical. So I played tennis and basketball into my freshman year. I didn’t play a sport in the fall, so the basketball coach recommended I go out for cross country sophomore year. My first race in the JV, I ended up with the 3rd fastest time on the team. I ended up not making the basketball team and thanks to my success in cross country, I gave up tennis in favor of track. And the rest is history.

It’s funny, but most of the memories I have from my high school running days are things that one wouldn’t consider a highlight – like leading an invitational and failing to make the first turn and watching the whole field run by, losing my spike in giant mud bog trying to hurdle a creek at Baldwinsville and narrowly missing out on states senior year. I was our team’s lead runner my junior and senior years so I had some successes but it’s always through adversity that learning and growth comes.

Talk about your time at Marist as an athlete. It had its ups and downs. For our younger readers, describe how the program was back then, the coaching, the seasons and anything else you recall from your time as a runner at Marist.

I came into Marist, as a very inexperienced low mileage runner. I remember the preseason running camp in the Catskills, where the team was the counselors for a high school running camp led by our coach. I had never run double sessions and the mileage we did at that camp left me exhausted to the point that when the team gathered in the evenings to socialize, I was asleep in my cabin. The first day back on campus, my cabin-mate Paul Kelly had no idea I was on the team as he thought I was a camper!

The team was pretty large, I’d say counting the track guys we had around 30 members. We had great team leaders in Pete Pazik, Christian Morrison, Mike Murphy, Donald Godwin and a lanky, Turntec wearing (I had never heard of that brand at the time), high mileage runner that guys affectionately called Girder Pete Colaizzo. (Not my story, so I won’t explain that one!)

Coach Lurie was definitely a personality. He had a way explaining everyone’s PRs, but never down to the tenths. It was always to the point. For example, he would say Garry Ryan ran a 1:58 point, not 1:58.6. Every runner he ever talked about, that was how he described them. He had a tone and a cadence about the way he spoke that everyone on the team imitated. He also liked to experiment, always throwing something new into our training routine. If he read it somewhere, he was willing to try it. I remember him adding some yoga into our warmup routine by making us do the sun salutation.  We all felt goofy doing it but looking back it was pretty progressive for that time. Don Reardon, our top runner and comedian, would draw a picture of Steve’s head and embed it in the cartoon he would draw for that week’s edition of the Circle. We enjoyed trying to find him. Even Steve was good natured about it when he found out what was happening.

At the time the big meet for the team during cross country was the state meet, we didn’t start running conference championships (we were in the Northeast Conference during my years at Marist) until my sophomore year. We did well at states my freshman year (top 10 finish, if I recall correctly). Sophomore year, despite finishing second at conference champs, we flamed out pretty badly at the state meet. Guys were frustrated with the uneven training, several runners were injured and when concerns were brought to the AD, Steve was removed as head coach. That left us with no coach and that meant there would be no winter or spring track. I had already lost most of indoor and all of outdoor the previous track season due to mono so losing another year of track hurt. Little did we know that was the end of track during my time at Marist.

We started my junior year with no coach. The feeling on the team was that we were just a placeholder so that Marist could stay Division I in basketball. We felt left out, the school gave the basketball team new running shoes while we were still buying our own gear. Rich Stevens took over and while the team still finished 2nd again in the NEC, it was frustrating for the guys that were really more track oriented as there was no season for them. By my senior year, I was the only runner in my class still running, I think Bob Sweeney and Dave Blondin were studying abroad. I was named captain, but that was mainly because I had the most seniority. I drove the van to meets since I was the only one that was 21 and could be insured. I ran decently well senior year, but I had to do some of the workouts on my own as I had an internship that prevented me making practices several days a week and as a result I felt disconnected from the younger runners on the team.

It was tough not having track for the balance of my career, since mainly that is the season you determine your PRs and I ended up never really knowing how fast I could run a 3k, 5k or 10k. I also lacked the continuity of a year-round training plan which definitely hindered my development. But I loved my time as a Marist runner. We had a great group of guys and personalities on the team. I have only great memories, fun stories (like the nude mile and I will definitely let someone else tell that tale!, arriving in Syracuse with the team van two hours ahead of Coach Stevens, the dustup with Colgate midrace), and the satisfaction of completing 4 years of running at a time when I could have easily quit.   

What did you major in at Marist and how did it prepare you for your post-collegiate career?

I majored in Computer Science and minored in Mathematics. The influence of IBM and the number of programming languages we studied prepared me for the volatility of working in today’s ever-changing IT landscape. At my internship, I worked for Texaco Research Center in Beacon. I remember having to teach myself Unix and how that prepared me for the interviews for companies that were hiring on campus.  I felt Marist’s diverse curriculum and internships were in preparing me for the job world.

What year did you graduate Marist and walk us through your work career -- jobs, cities, etc.

I was hired before I graduated from Marist in 1989 by EDS.  I started with them in Morristown, NJ.  I transferred to Dallas in 1990; lived there for about 20 months working in support of AT&T’s long distance bill generation before transferring again to Chicago to support the United States Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) stationed in Ft Sheridan, IL.  I was there until late 1992 when the base relocated to Ft Knox, KY.  I have lived in Louisville, KY ever since supporting the Army’s recruiting applications from the evolution of mainframe apps written in COBOL, fat client apps written in Powerbuilder, client/server apps in Java to mobile apps and cloud applications and services. I have worked with the same basic company through its many iterations of acquisitions and split-offs going from EDS to HP, to HPE, to DXC and now Perspecta. The job has never seemed dull, there is always something new to learn. I have gained a ton of respect for the men and women who serve our country.

Tell us a little bit about your family. When did you get married, how many kids do you have, where do you live currently, how did you get there ... all of it!

Well, I ended up staying in Kentucky because I met and married my wife, Melissa here. I met her in 1994 and we were married in 1996.  We have been blessed with 4 children. My oldest, Samantha, is 21 and will be a senior next year at Eastern Kentucky University. Lily, Lance and Ben are 16 and yes that means they are triplets. I could probably could write a novel on the trials and tribulations of raising triplets. It has been both a rewarding and exhausting experience. 

You've been graduated from Marist for more than 30 years. How much running have you done in that time -- races, marathons, etc. What are some of your post-collegiate running highlights and PRs? And how much are you running currently?

I won’t go into too much depth. My time in Dallas I was fortunate enough to run in a 10k where I won my age group but lost to a few people including a 19-year-old hotshot cyclist by the name of Lance Armstrong. I also competed in but DNFed in the White Rock Marathon in 1990 having to drop out at 23 miles from terrible foot pain that turned out to be a stress fracture. It was disappointing because I was on pace for around a 2:50 finish. It also coincidently was a marathon that Pete was running in too. Looking back, I wish I would have crawled to that finish line because I developed sciatica from two discs in my back shortly thereafter and never fully recovered. I spent a couple of years rehabbing off and on but never could get the strength back in my leg. I have run in several half marathons, my back could never really hold up for the training required to do a marathon. Louisville has a great Triple Crown series where you run a 10k, 10 miler and the half or full marathon leading up to the Kentucky Derby in the spring. I did a bunch of those until my late 30s when I took a long break from running when the triplets were born as there was really no time to work out when they were so young.

By my early 40s, I was jogging to get back into some form of shape when some co-workers of mine convinced me to sign up for the Bourbon Chase, which is a 200-mile team relay through the countryside and distilleries of Kentucky. The run is beautiful and I like that it really doesn’t feel competitive, just a few hundred teams of 12 people jumping out of a van to run three times over 25-30 hours. It totally fits my personality and communal spirit. My favorite leg in that run is the overnight run. Just the stillness of the night, the cool air and stars just seems to bring out the best in me. I have run in 9 of these and body willing the goal is to run 3 more so that I can complete all 36 of the legs. I run about 4-5x a week now and maybe hit 20-25 miles a week. 

You are an avid blog follower, which is great. What differences do you detect from your time at Marist to what we have here now?

I have reflected on this question for some time now. I spent a few years working college fairs for Marist as part of the Alumni Recruiting team so I kept up with the growth of the college from an academic standpoint. Mainly, my knowledge of the Track and XC program is limited to this blog, a few random emails sent to you over the years, and social media stories (and yes that includes DCSB YouTube channel videos!).

Suffice it to say, the biggest difference I see is the stability and continuity of the program. My time at Marist saw two men’s coaches, three women’s coaches (Steve, Debbie Bell and Pam White) and the complete upheaval of the track program. You and Chuck not only stabilized the program, but have elevated the program competitively not just in distance running but in the sprints, jumps and throwing events as well.

The other differences are symbolic of the changes in time. We ran indoors around the McCann track while the basketball team was practicing and we did our 20x400 workouts in xc at the high school. We used to scale the Mid-Hudson Bridge to get over to Highland and ran endlessly through the Psych Center. We reviewed upcoming teams with  “The Good Scout” – a hand written set of results compiled by the coach of the University of Rochester (I still have a few them). I never stepped one foot into the weight room in my time at Marist. Now strength training and the emphasis on core conditioning are as big a part of running as the mileage run. You have a home meet at Vassar Farms. We never had a home meet during my time at Marist. I would have loved to have had the opportunity for a senior day.
.
How are you and your family handling the pandemic? What are your thoughts on it and how is your area of the country handling it?

Like all families, it took us awhile to get into a routine. My daughter was studying in Spain when the pandemic began. At first we were consoling her for missing out on opportunities to travel to Italy, Portugal and Morocco during her spring break to waking her up in the middle of the night to get her a flight out of Spain and back home when the President started placing travel bans. She had to self-quarantine for two weeks and had to finish her studies in at home.  Fortunately her and her siblings are all self-sufficient in their academics that it was basically just finding space around the house to conduct Zoom meeting for 4 kids with 4 different schedules. I had been working from home one day a week already, so transitioning to being home every day and with kids around took some adjusting. My wife lost her job as an Occupational Therapist as her caseload dropped. She is hopeful to return as soon as restrictions are lifted here in Kentucky. Governor Beshear has been very aggressive in closing things down early and utilizing a data driven approach to reopening. I feel he has been very effective and has done a great job with removing politics from the equation. 

What message can you convey to our graduating seniors?

Life is a journey. As runners, we uniquely understand the ups and downs that come with training, competing, and managing expectations; both yours and others. Some days we feel great, some days we don’t. Nothing is perfect, plans sometimes have to be made up on the fly. The good news is we don’t journey alone. Take the time to reflect on your journey. Share both the highs and lows of your Marist experience with as many people as you can. Know you have done amazing things and will do amazing more. We all hurt for your losses.  It is ok to hurt too.  But don’t let this setback define you. While your journey as a Marist athlete has ended, we alumni welcome you and will continue to support you on wherever your journey takes you. 

Anything else you'd like to add ... 

Taking time to write this has flooded my mind with great memories, too numerous to share here. It’s been great to take that proverbial walk down memory lane. Thank you, Pete, for this wonderful series. You have allowed us all to grow closer to our extended Marist family. It has been great getting to know so many Foxes beyond just their times on a race sheet. Congratulations to you and Chuck for bringing stability and incredible success to Marist running. I wish you all well and continued success. God Bless!


No comments: