Friday, May 8, 2020

An interview with Brian Townsend


In the course of starting, expanding and curating this Pandemic Papers series, I have reached out to numerous alums of the track and cross country program who I hadn’t been in touch with too frequently through the years. It has been great to reconnect with them and to see the interest in these interviews blossom. There is such a deep and wide pool of fantastic people in the world of Marist alums overall and certainly within our track and cross country program. This, in theory, could keep the Pandemic Papers series going for a long, long time. One curious (for me) development with this project has been the tendency to not immediately consider the “obvious” candidates for these interviews – alums with whom I have stayed in close and frequent contact; alums who I know are avid blog followers; alums who, quite frankly, are part of my everyday existence in the form of frequent communication via text, email, phone. You don’t think to highlight them, because they are always central in your mind. If you are reading this and you feel that you fit this description, please call or text me as a gentle reminder. “Interviewing” you will be so natural as to simply have a conversation with you! I’d be happy to get you in the rotation.

Such is the case with today’s (and several upcoming) Pandemic Papers interviewees. Brian Townsend (Class of 2012) was one of those guys who it was particularly difficult to say goodbye to upon graduation. As coaches, one of our many duties is that we are tasked to be role models for our athletes. Sometimes, our athletes are so mature and so just plain good, high-quality overall human beings that they act as role models for the coach. Brian was and is one of those guys. His Marist ties are strong. His dad is an alum, and very active one at that. His brother is an alum. And now his first cousin, Brendan Dearie, is completing his freshman year as a strong member of our cross country and track team. Even before Brendan arrived on campus last summer, I know Brian was still closely following our program. A loyal alum, like so many. One who has done great things since his Marist days, like so many. For today’s Pandemic Papers, it’s an honor to share with you this conversation with Brian.

Your connections to Marist were pretty strong before you even attended Marist. Did that have an impact on your decision-making process?

My dad graduated from Marist in 1981, so when my brother and I were applying for college, one of the requirements my parents had was that we had to apply to Marist. Neither one of us had to attend, but applying was necessary. My brother chose to go there two years before me, so Marist was not an option in my mind. I'm pretty stubborn and the idea of following in my father AND brother's footsteps wasn't appealing, so if anything, my connections made me write Marist off pretty early in the process. There were many "I'll never go to Marist" moments, but in the end, I put my stubbornness aside and admitted that it was the right place for me.

Talk about the recruiting process, other schools you considered and how you ultimately chose Marist over other schools. It was a long time ago, kid, refresh my memory!

I knew I wanted a fairly small school, so in the end I was down to Bucknell, Pepperdine, and Marist. Bucknell was hands down my number one choice. I loved the campus, and academically it was right in my wheelhouse, but when I met with the coach, he made it very clear that I wasn't a priority. I knew I wasn't a top recruit. I have always been very realistic about my ability, but I felt I had some value to a team, and leaving Bucknell it was clear that he didn't care if I attended or not. The Pepperdine coach was great, and made me feel much better, but in the end, Malibu was a little too far from home for my liking. Marist was actually the only official visit I went on. It was sometime in December (I think), and a few of us were there at the same time. I remember hanging out in Conor and Masto's Gartland apartment, playing video games, and everyone just seemed real close. I had a very tight knit high school team, and Marist felt like an extension of that. I had a great time, and a few days later I told my mom I wanted to attend.

Talk about your high school running career. When did you first start in the sport, how did you get started and what are some of your fondest memories and highlights from your time as a high school runner?

I started running in middle school after the soccer team I was on raced the school's cross country team. I came in second and ran 5:32, which I'd never run close to before that. I realized I was in the wrong sport, so the following year I ran cross country. The friendships I've made have easily been my fondest memory. Two of my high school teammates are still my best friends. In terms of highlights, I'd have to say qualifying for state in XC my senior year and then running the 4xmile at Nike Outdoor Nationals.

Fast-forward to Marist. You were a big part of some of the best teams in school history. Talk about your time as a student-athlete at Marist. What are some of your fondest memories, career highlights?

My freshman year, the varsity squad finished 10th at regionals. I remember watching that race and specifically Pete jumping up and down afterwards. I think that first year really set the tone for my class. In 2010, we finished in 10th again. We showed up to practice each day, eager to keep the tradition of success alive. Once again, though, my fondest memories are the friendships I've made. Even being hundreds of miles away, I still consider people from Marist my closet friends. In terms of running, XC MAACs my senior year is still a highlight. As seniors, we were pretty determined to still be the 2nd best team in the MAAC. I still vividly remember coming down that final stretch at VCP, getting narrowly beaten by Lipari. The other moment was my 10k/5k double at outdoor MAACs my senior year. I had my appendix removed a few months earlier, which derailed what I believed would have been a great indoor and outdoor season. Knowing my grand plans to PR were out the window, I stepped back and just tried to enjoy the process. Ironically enough, that race also ended with my getting out kicked by Tom Lipari.

Talk about your non-running highlights at Marist. You were very involved in a lot of areas of campus. Tell us about that, and how did your academic pursuits at Marist prepare you for your post-collegiate pursuits? What was your major?

My junior year, over Spring Break, I participated in our Global Outreach program. A group of us traveled down to Merida, Mexico to live and work in a community center down there. To this day, I think about that trip (which was 10 years ago now). Throughout all my experiences in my life, that trip has still taught me the most. I was a Psychology/Special Education major at Marist, so getting the chance to experience how children in parts of another country live and to get the chance to live their life with them for a short time, greatly impacted my opinions on wealth and education. 

You’ve accomplished quite a bit since you graduated from Marist in 2012. Detail your path – educationally, professionally, all of it, leading up to now.

After graduating in 2012, I transitioned to life in NYC at Teachers College, Columbia University. At TC I was a full-time, Psychological Counseling major with a focus on School Counseling. I graduated in 2014, and then made the transition to Chicago as a Teach for America Corps member. TFA takes recent college graduates, or other professionals looking to make an impact, trains them, and then places them in teaching positions in high-need schools. Through TFA, I taught for two years at a Charter School on the west side of Chicago before finishing the program in 2016.

What is your current job, where are you doing it and how long have you been there?

Currently, I am the ELA Department Chair/5th Grade Teacher at another school on the west side of Chicago. I am finishing up my 4th year at this school, and my 6th year teaching overall. 

As one of many teachers among our Marist Running alums, you have had to adapt your career to distance learning. Each teacher’s situation is unique. Teaching is best done in a face-to-face manner. How have you adapted to distance learning? 

Professionally, the transition for me wasn't too difficult. Each subject teacher is required to post one lesson a day, plus a video of them teaching that lesson. I use the opportunity as a chance to reconnect with parents, and find different ways to engage children. I think everyone gets complacent at some point, so I see this as a chance to grow and become a better educator both online and face-to-face.

What are some of the hurdles you and your students have had to face? Do you feel this is a sustainable way to teach in the short- or long-term?

I struggled not to answer this question in the previous answer because the truth it, I don't care about the transition for me, I'm most concerned about the transition for my kids. Any school that tells you they were prepared for this type of situation, is probably a school that is lucky enough to have the funds to prepare. The reality is, wealth has had a massive impact of who "transitions" well and who doesn't. Access to resources, like technology and WiFi, have been a large barrier for a large number of our students. It is the same story for thousands of other underfunded schools across the country, which equates to hundreds of thousands of students being denied the resources they need to learn. Thankfully, I have a tireless administration and they have worked diligently with the City of Chicago over the past few weeks to get students access to the equipment necessary to learn. 

Personally, I don't believe this is sustainable. I hear a lot of stories about parents’ difficulty homeschooling their children and I know my student's parents have to balance homeschooling while still working essential jobs. This means most of the students I teach are either home alone or staying with relatives because their parents are essential workers, going into the frontlines each and every day. Most 10-year-olds won't willingly sit down and complete work on their own, so it puts a lot more stress on parents.

You and your wife Emily have a busy household with young children? What’s that like and how has the pandemic affected the day-to-day operation of the Townsend household?

On a typical work day, both of our children attend daycare, so balancing a full work schedule with a 2-year-old and a 9-month-old has been an adjustment. Right now, Emily works in the morning, and then I'll work in the afternoon. It isn't ideal, but it has been the best solution we've come up with. Again, I work for some awesome people and they have been willing to move meetings around to help us create the best schedule for our kids. 

You’ve done some great running post-collegiately. Talk about some of your Marist Alumni Racing Team highlights. Given your busy life schedule, where do you think running will fit into it in the short- and long-term future?

When I was a student at Teachers College, it was so easy to train. I was single, childless, and had nothing to do after classes and work. I put together a pretty intense training schedule, which included a workout every Thursday with the Central Park Track Club. After the cancelation of the 2012 NYC Marathon, I deferred to 2013, where I was lucky enough to run 2:41:33. If you know me, you know that time wasn't good enough since my goal was to break 2:40, but the experience was one I'll never forget. Shortly after that race I ran a 3k at the Armory and a 5k in Boston. I came within seconds of my PR in both races.

Recently, running has taken more of a background role. I still run, but it’s more of an opportunity to take my daughter outside and get some exercise. I'm that guy who runs around with the double running stroller, who all the young kids speed past, but I enjoy getting to experience it with my kids. I compete in a friendly running challenge each month with a few friends from Marist, so that has helped motivate me to get out.

You still have a strong connection to our program, as freshman distance runner Brendan Dearie is your first cousin. How frequently do you stay in touch with him, follow his results and check on the team’s progress?

I check results after each race. Usually Billy Hild gives them to me before I have to ask, but if he doesn't I'll ask Brendan. I try to text him after every race just to see how he thought it went. 

Our senior student-athletes lost their final season of eligibility and their final few months of their senior year. What message can you impart to them?

I can't imagine what that must feel like. The only message I keep coming back to is: let yourself feel what you feel. No one can understand what you are going through because it hasn't happened to us. I could give some unwanted opinions like, "don't worry, you can continue to compete competitively after graduation," but I wouldn't have cared if I were in your shoes. Just know that the Marist Alumni community is here for you and don't be afraid to talk about it.

What message can you send to current and future team members about the uncertain short- and long-term future we all face?

I've been focusing on one question each and every day: Why is this happening for me? I've never had a fantastic mindset, and over the last few years I've worked to change it. This question has helped me focus on the little things I can do during this time, to make myself a better husband, father, and person. It goes along with the belief that everything happens for a reason, and forces me to determine what that reason might be. For me, it's an opportunity to spend more time with my family, to reconnect with friends, to appreciate traveling to see family, and to just slow down. My message would be: find your reason.

No comments: