Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Lake Placid: The old man and the marathon

Most marathon runners have a bit more of a high-tech approach to pre-race nutrition than this: I am walking out of the Stewart's Shop on Main Street in Lake Placid, about 15 minutes prior to the race, with my standard beverage: Black coffee from Stewart's.
Vess, that noted humanitarian, took to calling me "Old Man" several years ago when he was still calling Poughkeepsie home. Of course, I am not "that old," but I think I know where the moniker stems from: He was at the finish line of the Hartford Marathon a few years' back, watching me stumble in with a PW (Personal Worst), looking very old indeed. Well, four years later, this old man is still stumbling across marathon finish lines. Sunday, it was up in Lake Placid again. I will not bore you with race play-by-play. Just a few numbers, details and stats.

First half: 2:08:59
Second half: 2:02:33
2013 finish time: 4:11:32 (9:36 pace)
2012 finish time: 4:12:36 (9:39 pace)
Marathons completed: 50
Consecutive years with at least one marathon completed (my only remaining streak): 27

1 comment:

tcoulson said...

Lots of congrats on this - 50 marathons is quite an achievement, I am still stuck on 9. I was wondering though - how many states you have notched? - Lurch