Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Where's my Mule? In Danbury!

A few nights ago, I went to see my favorite band in concert -- Gov't Mule, at the Ives Music Park in nearby Danbury, CT. This was a rare treat -- Mule, close to home, and an early start time of 7:15 p.m. I have seen Mule about a half-dozen times and never have seen the end of their shows. Usually, Warren Haynes and the boys start late (9 pm or later) and play really, really late (into the wee hours) -- way past this old coach's bedtime. So, even though the Mule played their usual 3.5-hour, two-set plus encore jam, I was able to hang in there till the finish.

This was a fantastic show, one of the more unique Mule concerts I have been to. In a departure from their usual hard-rockin' ways, Haynes and company did some really cool experimental stuff -- in honor of musical innovator Charles Ives, after whom the park was named -- that centered around a jazz-fusion theme. It was a perfect, mellow Sunday night vibe. Check out info, set lists and a few videos courtesy of the JamBase Web site here. As an added treat, I was joined by Marist Running Alum Will Griffin and rising senior Doug Ainscow, both new or converted Mule fans. Rock on.

No comments: