Monday, September 19, 2011

Cold whine

With the first chilly weather of the fall having arrived a few days ago, allow me to do my first boy-it’s-cold-out complaining post of the season. Actually, this should be a boy-it’s-cold-in complaining post.

Here’s why: My beautiful wife has a rather irrational (from my layered perspective) rule in our house. The heat does not get turned on until October 1. No matter that the overnight temperatures have been in the low-40s and the house thermostat is reading 58 degrees. No heat!

And so it was that this old coach went to bed the other night with a hooded sweatshirt, sweatpants and winter hat. Heidi loves the meat locker temperature of the house, and even turned on the ceiling fan in the middle of the night to create more of a breeze. Lovely!

Upon boarding our pre-dawn chilly bus on Saturday, I asked Bus Driver Bob to “crank the heat.” He was ready to oblige, before I told him not to. While I like it very warm, we do not need to be dehydrating our athletes before competition.

The van temperature for practice shuttles? I’m in charge there, and that’s a different story …

No comments: