Saturday, March 6, 2010

Greetings from Burlington

Random notes while sitting with the laptop in my hotel room in Burlington, MA ...

-- It always seems to happen on IC4A weekend. The weather outside is beautiful! They are calling for sunny and near 50 degrees this weekend in Boston. I always have the same thought: The weather today is quite possibly better than it will be for many of our outdoor track meets in the coming weeks and months.

-- Last night was one of the very few van trips I have taken this winter. It has been almost exclusively bus travel. I like the bus because I do not have to drive, but I can never get comfortable on a bus. So I guess I like driving the vans better ... except when I'm tired, it's dark and there is the odor of smelly feet and Quimes' flatulations ... like last night.

-- Speaking of the bus, a few Marist Track Legends that have lived on through the years: 1. The DVD player is broken. I always say this; everyone always believes me; it's never broken; I just don't want to watch/hear movies. I'm not a movie person. 2. Is the bathroom occupied? Yes. Eric is in there. It's an old Pete/Phil Era joke from one of our endless trips out to Notre Dame. It endures to this day, and never fails to work when someone really needs to use the bathroom. 3. We have had our share of crazy bus drivers through the years. Now that we use a local bus company, we had a regular fleet of drivers and know most of them well. They are, for the most part, very good guys and very competent, which makes me feel good. I guess #3 doesn't really fit, but what the heck, I'm just typing randomly here ...

-- The IC4A meet has lost some of its luster over the past few years, but not for this program. There are other last-chance type meets that many programs chase; some programs blow off ICs all together. Again, NOT US. We are proud members, we are proud to have qualifiers (most ever this year) and we will continue to proudly attend this meet as long as I am alive to say something about it. I may expound on this subject later if the mood strikes me.

For now, back to chillin' in the hotel before cheerin' on the men down at BU later this afternoon.

I'll be back with splits, results and commentary tonight.

No comments: