Thursday, December 10, 2009

How cold is too cold?

Tomorrow (Friday), the workout protocol for the distance runners is the "Accelerator Loop." Some coaches call it a Progression Run. I like "accelerator." A more NASCAR feel to it. Hey, I used to have a mullet, remember? (Side note: Webster wants me to grow another one while he is away studying abroad in Italy; I am considering it; but I do value a happy marriage, too)

Anyway, back to the topic: Friday is accelerator. However, the weather forecast is for highs in the mid-20s and biting wind. Pretty typical winter weather for the mid-Hudson Valley, albeit maybe a bit early. A few men were wondering whether the workout could be changed and/or moved inside to the McCann Fieldhouse given the cold weather.

My initial, gut reaction was: Uh-uh. No. Accelerator is an outside workout. Cold and wind should not matter. If it were mile repeats at the track, then yes, maybe we bring it inside. But an effort-based, road-course workout? I think we can keep it on West Dorsey, thank you very much.

But I am always open to suggestions.

Generally, my rule for outside running: If it is icy and dangerous for cars, no off-campus distance runs. Otherwise, most days are OK for outside running. Unless you prefer inside.

OK. I'm going around in circles now. Good night, everyone.

1 comment:

Justin said...

Remember when we made a bet if I won the Steeple at MAACs you'd cut your hair into a mullet...I won and I never saw a mullet.