Monday, January 26, 2015

Winter storm: Early warning

Friday meets like the past two weeks afford me as a track coach the rare luxury of a weekend “off” from competition. It’s odd to get a glimpse of how the rest of the world spends their Saturdays. Such was the case a few days ago. After we swept away what will seem like mere nuisance snow (about 4-6 inches in these parts) compared to what’s coming, Heidi and I went to Sears to shop for new appliances. (Side note: We are totally renovating our kitchen and laundry room; our house is in utter disarray; but, the finished product should be worth the wait; if interested in the progress, I suggest you “friend” Heidi on Facebook as she has been chronicling the work on a near daily basis).


While shopping for said appliances, I got a text from Hild. Nothing unusual there, he is a regular texting correspondent. He knows full well that I am a Certified Weather Geek. However, even he took me by surprise with the text, time stamped 2:26 p.m.: “Apparently we could get 3-5 feet of snow next week?’’ My curt reply, as I was sifting through information on Kenmore dishwashers, was “Not that I’m aware.”

Word did not really start circulating about this storm till midday Sunday. Now, the hype is out of control, and probably with good reason. They’re talking feet and not inches with this storm. Hild was ahead of the curve on this one. It pains me to admit when Hild is right (which is most of the time). Here we go again.

Be safe in the storm. Here’s hoping that you and/or loved ones do not lose power. Happy shoveling.

No comments: