Sunday, January 18, 2015

Ice storm

The morning started with an excellent 8-mile run on the hilly dirt roads out in Millbrook. It is so rare for me to be able to run with that group of men and women and it was a real treat on this morning. A little light freezing drizzle at the end of the run, but no big deal.

Driving to Marist for Sunday morning practice, I heard Mike Francesa on WFAN radio say the roads on Long Island and NYC were beyond hazardous -- road closures, pileups, etc. Hmmm. I thought nothing doing here. Then, the text from Mr. Bucket that he was stranded on I-84, which was also a sheet of ice. Damn. Not good.

Upon arriving at Marist, it was still a relatively serene morning. Went to meet the men at 10 a.m. Talked about meet entries for Friday at the Armory. A small group of guys head out the door for an easy 6-7 miles. I head out the door for home. Now, our world in the mid-Hudson Valley has become a sheet of ice as well. Uh-oh. Fortunately, everyone got back safely from their run. On the short ride home to Hyde Park, I saw one car spin out and careen into the woods by the Culinary Institute, and I saw another rear-end collision, also by the CIA. I was fortunate to be able to navigate the minivan into the driveway, and I have been inside the house ever since.

Is there anything worse than ice? I would submit that there is not.

No comments: