Friday, August 2, 2024

Save money! Run the Dutchess County Classic!

 Hopefully, that title got your attention?

We (and when I say "we" I really mean "me"?) are planning for (hoping for?) a relatively big Track/XC alumni weekend on the weekend of the Dutchess County Classic, which is on Sunday, September 15. On that day, the Classic will feature a half marathon and 10km (the full marathon was discontinued). There is also a 5km on Saturday afternoon. Most alums who have come back for the Classic have opted for the Sunday races -- half marathon or 10km. Here's the incentive: Because I asked my friends at the Mid-Hudson Road Runners Club, they have agreed to give me a DISCOUNT CODE exclusively for Marist alums. The MHRRC folks told me (urged me!) not to openly publicize the codes (good advice, because I'm an idiot and I was planning on including them in THIS POST ... which, last time I checked, is still on the World Wide Web and thus accessible to anyone who might stumble upon it!). 

So anyway? If you are interested in or planning on racing the Dutchess County Classic, please text me at 845 309 3640 and I will send you the code(s). The codes are race-specific so let me know which race you plan on entering in. If you have already entered in the Classic? Sorry, I don't think we can retroactively get you a discount. However! You can (and should!) most definitely take part in what I hope will be a big, fun and active weekend. Here's what I have planned: 

--Friday night, September 13: Any alums that are in town, we can try to plan an informal gathering at a Place That Serves Adult Beverages. Hey. I don't go out anymore, so I don't even have any (good) suggestions! Heck, I don't even have to be INVITED. Hopefully, you all can organize something?
--Saturday morning, September 14: Come and cheer on the 2024 version of your Running Red Foxes! We will be taking part in the Jasper XC Invitational (aka, the pre-MAAC meet). It will be at Twin Ponds on the Farm in Montgomery, NY -- a mere 43-minute drive from Poughkeepsie! I don't have the specific race details, but races are late morning. More on that later. Our current team would LOVE your support. 
--Saturday afternoon, September 14: We're planning on having a big team BBQ on campus -- and you're invited! This will be a great way to meet the entire team and our ever-expanding coaching staff. (and yes, maybe I'll be hitting you up for donations to the new track project). More details to follow, but it'll likely be late afternoon on South Field (the grass field next to McCann, which will eventually be the site of our throwing events!). 
--Sunday morning, September 15: The Dutchess County Classic! Go out and run with your favorite alums, or make new (alumni) friends! I hope you can MAKE it!

I know this post has a goofy tone (even though I turn 60 in a few weeks, my "maturity level" remains a contentious subject as well as a "work in progress") but I really would love to see a lot of alums come back for this -- the XC meet + the Classic. Even if you don't run/race, come back anyway!

Again, if you want to enter the Classic at a discount, text me at 845 309 3640 and I'll send you the code. And please! Do NOT share the code with anyone else. The MHRRC was nice enough to do this for us and I don't want abuse the privilege and cost them any potential profits from the race.

More details to follow ...

No comments: