Friday, August 23, 2024

Blast from the past

 

Last Saturday, as I was wandering around the McCann Center in between preseason XC practices, I happened upon Brian Ordway, who was on the first team that I coached back in 1991, and who was visiting campus with his young and very energtic son. He was one of the original four who showed up at the first organizational meeting for the track team in March of 1991. He went down to the boathouse and reminded me that's where his first practice was -- I vaguely remember a hill workout of some sort. Remember, back when I started in the spring of 1991, I had no coaching experience and it could be argued that I had no idea what I was doing. Some would posit, as I enter my 34th year, that nothing much has changed in that regard! Brian is in his early 50s and his Marist days are well in the past. His elderly parents, who accompanied Brian to campus, were stunned that I was "still here after all this time." Indeed!

No comments: