Monday, June 7, 2021

Running: It’s in his “jeans”



Thanks to Marist Running Alum Bryan Buttigieg (aka “Butti” and also aka “Gregg”) for sharing information via email about a very cool fundraiser he took part in called the “Blue Jeans Mile” … and as a follow-up, information about his planned first ultra – also going toward good causes and good thoughts and “Much Love + Positive Vibes” (his awesome email sign-off).

Here’s Part 1 of Butti’s email exchange with his Old Coach:

Just wanted to share this and was hoping maybe you could maybe share it on your blog. I am not expecting anyone to donate, but I think it's a great cause and you never know what people are going through mentally, especially through the past year.

On May 31, I participated in The Blue Jeans Mile to raise awareness for Mental Health through the National Alliance on Mental Illness of New York City. "NAMI-NYC helps families and individuals affected by mental illness build better lives through education, support, and advocacy. We offer close to 40 classes and support groups free of charge. To learn more, visit our website at www.naminyc.org, or call our Helpline: 212.684.3264"

Personally, running has always been and still is a mental escape and form of therapy for me. A way to get lost in my thoughts. Let my mind wander in the good/bad, happy/sad, real/imaginary, angels/demons. If I can be goofy through one form of my therapy to help someone else out, that would mean the world. Somehow, I managed to clock in at 4:59.9 with my wallet, phone, and keys in my pockets (as you wear your jeans). Link to donate if anyone is interested: https://www.naminycmetro.org/donate/

Butti, now living out in Washington, did this full mile (yes, I asked, it was NOT 1,600 meters) at North Creek High School in Bothell, Washington.

Part two of our email exchange follows:

Also wanted to let you know that I'll be running my first ultra! The Old Cascadia 50k trail race in Blue River, Oregon on June 20th. (31.069 miles with 7,400-plus feet of vertical!). Although it's not required to raise money for race entry, I wanted to use this as an opportunity to raise some more awareness and money to support mental health. And with it being Pride Month, I wanted to split whatever I raise to go towards helping the LGBTQ+ community as well. Two organizations - 1) National Alliance on Mental Illness of New York City 2) The Ally Coalition.

This is friggin awesome. No matter how Butti does in the 50km, he’s already a winner in my eyes for trying it and for attempting to raise money and awareness for two worthy organizations. If you are interested in contributing, Butti said to email him at bryansbuttigieg@gmail.com. You younger folks can probably connect with him via the various social media outlets that I have no interest nor participation in. Go, Gregg!


No comments: