Sunday, July 5, 2020

Pandemic Papers: An interview with Mike Bamberger


FYI. Bambi won this race!
I used to call him the “Ayatollah of Schmoozola,’’ a direct reference to WFAN’s Steve Somers – a legendary radio host who is never, ever at a loss for words. Michael J. Bamberger. Bambi. Dude could work a room. Never at a loss for words. Never at a loss for a big, bright smile, a hug, a kiss, a “love ya, bro.” Yes. Bambi will frequently express his affection and yes, it made me uncomfortable at times. As with most of my athletes, past and present, I was fond of Bambi. I was a fan. A huge fan. But listen carefully. He could be socially outgoing to the point of sheer annoyance. However, it was not all schtick. It was not all lovey/dovey show. Far from it. Bambi was a fierce competitor, a school record holder, a MAAC Champion. Dude knew how to race and he knew how to win. Open 800s (especially indoors). Relays. All of it. He’d be sh**tin’ a brick before the race, but when the gun went off, he knew what to do. He won MAAC titles. He set school records. I’ll never forget his school record (since broken) in the indoor 800. It was a negative split! This was pre-blog, so I don’t recall the actual splits. But 800 runners generally don’t run the second 400 meters faster than the first 400 meters. It just doesn’t happen. He made it happen. Neat!

As with so many Pandemic Papers interviews, Bambi brings back some wonderful memories. But he’s been graduated for more than a decade (Class of 2007), so he covers a lot of post-graduate ground here as well. He remains a loyal program alum and his lineage to our initial successes in the middle distances and even long sprints (killer 4x400 relay) remains quite strong, all these year later. He’s married now, working hard, and we don’t see each other as often as we used to, as often as we should. When I do see him, if social distancing rules allow, I will hug him. And yes. I’ll say “love ya, bro.” Because, after all these years, I most certainly do!

Take us back to the very beginning: What was your athletic background like, how/when/why did you start running and when did you get "serious" about running?

Growing up, I was all about baseball.  I think I’m the only guy from Long Island who never played little league soccer.  Oddly enough, I got cut from the middle school baseball team (coach was nuts) and then joined spring track, but then joined baseball again in high school- so my seasons were Cross Country, Indoor Track, then baseball in the spring. I was always a pretty fast kid growing up.  I thought it was cool to be the pinch runner in baseball until I realized I wasn’t playing any other positions.

I only joined Spring track my junior year of high school at the request of the LEGENDARY Tim Dearie, who took me aside during school one day.  We had just won the indoor 4x8 state championship at the Syracuse Carrier Dome.  He caught me before baseball tryouts and said calmly “you’re not playing baseball anymore.”  That about started my serious investment into running.  We won the 4x8 state championships that year in outdoor, too.  Good call, Dearie.

You had a marvelous high school career. Tell us all the highlights (there are MANY!) and your memories of that long-ago time.

It wasn’t THAT long ago, relax!  Junior and senior year of high school running were incredible. I was blessed with the best coaches in Bill Gehrhart and Tim Dearie. Northport won the Triple Crown (county champs in XC, winter and spring), I won my first and only individual county championship in the 600 meters, Northport won a few state titles in the 4x800, and most significant to me, the DMR team of Bryan Quinn, Terry Ross, Kevin Tschirhart and I won the Championship of America at the Penn Relays.  The entire day was surreal. I will never forget our victory lap and waving to the packed house at Franklin Field and holding up the giant Penn Relays wheel on the awards stand with my brothers!  The wheel is still on display at Northport High School, I suggest you all go see it.  The gold watch is in storage, but I’ll rock it every now and then in case I need a good story to tell. 

You were a highly sought-after recruit (if I recall?). How and why did you choose Marist over other schools that may have been courting you?

I wasn’t that sought after, thanks though for the reminder.  Quinn was the star recruit, I was the backup. Coach Dearie would recommend a few schools to me and would reach out to coaches on my behalf. I originally had my heart set on Boston College, and the coach said he would get me in.   A week later, I got a rejection letter. That was uplifting.

After BC-gate, I didn’t know where to look for colleges, really. I was considering NYU, Quinnipiac, and mostly schools in the Northeast.  Coach Dearie was a Marist alum, and his wife had a lot of running success at Lafayette, so he recommended I look at both.  I took official visits, and Marist felt more like a future home to me.  I liked your approach to athletics and academics, I could tell you loved running and the art of coaching, but you loved your athletes more.  I was then taken on a campus tour by Mastic Beach’s own Eddie Burns, who enjoyed Long Island running success at William Floyd High School- and we hit it off. My official visit I stayed with Hudson Valley celebrity Justin Harris (JUTNUT), and we hung out with Sean Prinz (pride of Wantagh) and Mike Schab (West Islip’s World Dominator), and it made the decision easy.

(Side note: At the St Valentines meet, I won the 800m in 1:53, my fastest time yet.  I passed two BC runners in the last 50m and gave a smile to the BC coach after I crossed the finish line. Revenge is sweet!)

What is your first recollection of your time at Marist?

After winning MAACs. Coach is clearly stunned.
FIRST recollection? Sheesh.  When I think of my first moments at Marist, I have to think of my incoming freshman class.  It was the greatest group of teammates you could ask for going into a new environment.  Matt Szymaszek (MD!) out of Connecticut, Scott LaPiedra (FDNY) from Staten Island, Mark Fernandez out of Commack, Chris Baum from St. John the Baptist, and let’s not forget the legendary Jeffrey Thomas Belge out of Central Square High School in Syracuse.  Jeff and I became best friends almost instantly, and we still talk every week and visit one another when we can.  He was in my wedding party, and I’ll be in his once he finds a mate that can tolerate him.  The boys in the ’07 class all came from different environments, and we became instantly close.  It made training fun, winning sweet, and defeat easy to overcome.  I love each one of those guys. 

One of my first running-related memories is my first workout as a Red Fox at Bowdoin Park.  We were doing hill repeats.  I don’t know what got into the crew, but we were all CRUSHING the workout.  Each repeat faster than the next, and on our last repeat, I hear you yell from the top of the hill “THIS IS SOME GOOD SHIT!”  You were pumped up, you loved your team, and so did we. It felt like home!

You had a truly storied career at Marist. What are your fondest memories as a student-athlete at Marist?

Oh boy.  It was the first time in my life I was winning races and setting school records, and it felt really good.  Granted, I was an anxiety-ridden wreck before each race, even the smallest meets would get me nervous in the worst ways possible. However, I was also a captain, which gave me pride and sense of responsibility. Overall, winning the 800 MAAC championship a couple of times was special, but my fondest memories come from the relays. 

Fond Memory 1:   Freshman year. Outdoors.  NC State- Raleigh Relays.  We were in a fast heat of the SMR (4-2-2-8 in case it hasn’t been run since). My fastest 800 at the time had been 1:55 at the Armory. The team was DeMarco, Adam Pakiela, Rob DeAngelo and myself. I got the baton in a distant 4th place and picked off a couple of runners going into the final 400 meters. With 100 meters to go, I picked off the leader (from Virginia Commonwealth University) who kept looking back at me until I passed him, and we won our heat.  Coach Chuck ran up to me and screamed “1:53!”.  I let out a “holy F***” and celebrated the victory with my teammates. That was a good one.

Fond Memory 2:  Millrose Games. Sharing the MSG stage with the Marist Red Foxes was an unreal experience.  I led off the relay, which I hadn’t done in quite some time, and managed to hand it off in the lead.  We were always in the race, although we didn’t win, there was nothing about the experience that was disappointing.  I remember waiting by the track, nervous as hell, and I heard my mom’s voice, looked up and saw her waving in the crowd. That made me feel better.

Fond Memory 3:  Senior Year. MAAC Champs. Indoors.  It’s often forgotten that the fab foursome Pat Carroll, Brian DeMarco, Bryan Quinn and Bambi won the 4x4 MAAC championship.  The first in school history!  Four senior captains, I led off and made a silly face at the Marist squad after the first 200 and managed to run my fastest 400 ever (don’t take life too seriously, kids!) It was one of the only races in my life where I said to myself “I’m going to go balls to the wall this entire race and I don’t care the result!”  I handed off in the lead, and we never relinquished.  Winning that race was a nice sendoff for the seniors. 

The training runs at Marist stick out to me too. How could they not?  I’ve never done a 13-mile run faster than at Minnewaska, laughing one minute and crushing the rolling hills the next.  Doing hill repeats at Bowdoin Park and remembering how bad I sucked during the high school Federation meets (but still enjoying the scenery!)  Ogden Mills, Vanderbilt; the Hudson Valley and Red Foxes are truly blessed with the best running terrain. That, and the long, slow hung-over (Editor’s note: Hey, what’s the big idea?) runs over the Mid-Hudson Bridge (no Walkway yet) were the best, after the fact.

As a captain, it also was a true joy seeing runners meet and exceed their potential.  Watching Conor Shelley turn into the absolute beast of a runner he is today.  Witnessing Mike Rolek sweat out a 10K under the lights at Princeton.  Cheering on the Dixon boys break 2 in the 800.  Watching Keenan and Justin Harris do serious work in the steeplechase.  As a younger Fox, seeing my captains Geoff Decker and Steve Hicks and Sean Hopkins running their asses off and hitting times they’ve never hit before. I don’t know what it is about Marist, but it’s the most unselfish competitive atmosphere I’ve been part of, and it made my running career more rewarding because of it.
 
You and B-Quinn formed a special bond in high school and college. Talk about that and how he wound up leaving his Previous School to join you in the red and white!?

Indeed.  Also, humble brag on your part talking about transfers to Marist! Bryan was the star of our Northport class and in Suffolk County, so I took on more of a supporting role on our XC and track teams, and I didn’t mind it. As loud as I am, I didn’t really crave the spotlight too much, so I always followed Bryan’s lead and just did my best not to screw up the success of the team.  We enjoyed a lot of success together in life on and off the track, from multiple state championships to Penn Relays.  When he chose UConn, it made sense as it was a larger program with a ton of middle-distance stars.  I think the coach at UConn didn’t appreciate Bryan’s potential and therefore created an unfavorable environment for his talent.  I had come into my own easily at Marist, it was just the right fit.  Had to have been tough seeing me loving life in Poughkeepsie when Storrs wasn’t the best fit for him- so I think a transfer to a more comfortable school and program made sense for the Mighty One. After a successful indoor and spring, I think Bryan could see that the middle-distance program was on the verge of big things and wanted to be a part of it and have more a positive team atmosphere.  A few school records and PRs later, it all worked out.

You were on the ground floor of the Jerk Squad. Tell us about THAT.

I was actually a late addition to the Jerk Squad, but once I was in, I was in for good.  My senior year, I won a Jerky Award for “Jerk of the Year” given by John J. Keenan the III.  It was basically our equivalent of the Lifetime Achievement Award. The award itself, which was a stolen cafeteria plate with the words “Jerk of the Year” written sloppily in marker, broke a few days later.  I think that’s how it was supposed to end. 

The Jerk Squad was an excuse to get together on a weeknight, BS about life, school, and enjoy some underwhelming BBQ chicken pizza.  (Score:  4.2)  It made the weeks more enjoyable.  If the team doesn’t have a Jerk Squad nowadays, I suggest you form one.

What was your major at Marist and how did it prepare you for your career(s)?

My major was Communications with a focus on Public Relations, with a minor in Psychology.  I picked the Psych minor because it only required four classes to add the minor, plus they did have some interesting classes in adolescent psychology that I found really interesting. 

I’m actually quite grateful for my PR concentration, because it introduced me to the greatest professor I’ve ever had, Professor Timmian Massie!  Professor Massie was a fantastic teacher, mentor and professional. He instilled in each of his students the importance of reputation, being ethical and responsible in all aspects of business, and to take joy in your work.  I considered a job in the field of PR after college, but life takes you on a different journey sometimes!  If you told me in 2007 I’d be selling in the dental industry, I’d be confused.  I’m quite grateful for my liberal arts education, though.  Whatever you do in your life after college, do it with integrity.  It’s not a failure to do something else that you didn’t major in.  I hope you all find a job and career path that’s rewarding in every sense. 

My job isn’t a glamorous one, but I do enjoy the work and I’m able to provide for my family because of it.  That’s really all the purpose I need.  Plus, I’ve done well enough they’ve sent me on a few vacations and the wife really enjoys that. 

Your outgoing personality made you a true PRESENCE in Marist Athletics. Administrators and other coaches were very fond of you. Talk about your overall memories of being a fine citizen of our athletic department! (Pizzani Award!)

You gave me the nickname “Ayatollah of Schmoozola” for a reason.  I just love people, what can I say?

Receiving the Pizzani Award was one the monumental moments of my college career, for a few reasons!  For the uneducated, the Pizzani Award is given to “individuals who have dedicated their time and talents to the Athletics Department, the Marist community, and the surrounding communities in the Hudson Valley and beyond.”  I can confidently say I made the most of my time at Marist.  I was an Orientation Leader,  worked at the Marist Poll (briefly, before I waitered at Olive Garden on Rte 9), scanned tickets at basketball games.  They were jobs, but never seemed like jobs.  I loved my school and the community. 

I fell in love with the Marist quickly and I think it showed. I was fortunate enough to be sent by my Marist peers to the NCAA Leadership Conference in Jersey City, where I developed and implemented the “Captain’s Council” at Marist- where all the different team captains would convene once a month to discuss how to support the other Marist sports! Does that still exist? Dang it, it should.  I attended the conference with the INCOMPARABLE Alyssa Gates, who I absolutely adore.  Whatever Marist is paying her, they need to double it.  She truly cares about her student-athletes and is an integral part of Marist’s success.

Back to the award.  The night I won the Pizzani Award was great.  Throughout my Marist years, I would torture Coach Pete by saying “love you” and “love ya” to everyone, all the time. In person, over the phone, whether I knew you- It’s how I would end conversations.  It made Coach uncomfortable, which only made me do it more. For four years, you never said it back!  Then, at our senior awards banquet, they announced my name for the recipient of the Pizzani Award.  I was shocked and choked up.  After I returned to my seat, you looked at me and said “Hey... love ya bro.”  It was the perfect ending to my Marist athletic career.

And a hat tip to you, Coach Pete.  You were my father figure all four years of college and beyond.  From our chats in the van and how we approached life, running, family, and an appreciation for the nonsensical yet philosophical, I respected everything you did.  I’ll always consider you as the best coach I’ve ever had, on and off the track.

Tell us about your post-collegiate career path. You've done a LOT!

I certainly have!  After graduation, I began working at Henry Schein, the largest distributor of dental and medical supplies and equipment in the world, and I’ve been working as a sales consultant for 10 years.  All of my friends and family say I sell toothbrushes, which I rarely do.  I also attended Touro Law school at night, so a 4-year program instead of 3.  I miraculously failed the NY State Bar Exam three times.  Quite a feat. The failures did get me down pretty bad, and not to get too serious, I actually had and still have nasty bouts of anxiety and panic disorder because of it.  I’ve had to really focus on my mental health over the past few years and I’ve made a lot of improvements, which I’m proud of.  Being an eternal optimist, I stayed with the company I worked at and have grown into one of the top sales consultants in the country.  I do plan on taking the Bar again once life settles down so we’ll see how that goes.

Luckily, I found a beautiful woman who didn’t think I was a total hack and got her to marry me! Her name is Alexandra and she’s a registered nurse, on the pandemic front lines!  A true hero.  We knew each other in high school, then she realized how much she loved me years later and we got hitched. We have a dalmatian Casper,  and just bought a house in Bayport, New York! 

How has the pandemic affected you and your family -- professionally, health-wise, all of it?

My nurse wife can speak on that.  She couldn’t take a day off from the hospital, she considered moving out (I wouldn’t let her!) to protect me from the Coronavirus.  Each day at the hospital during the virus’ peak, there was different information coming her way.  Patients were coming in really sick; the hospitals were understaffed.  There was no PPE in the beginning, it was a real mess. Every day was a warzone.  She battles chronic illness herself, so she was already at a risk, so every shift she went on, I was a nervous wreck. She’s a tough little SOB, and came home each night exhausted but safe.

I was furloughed from my job for a couple of months, luckily, we closed on our house right before the pandemic hit, so I got us settled into our home and had some time for projects.  When I say projects, I mean bring in professionals to do some contracting work (Track athletes aren’t the handiest of fellows).  I’ve since been rehired and life is somewhat restored back to normal. 

What message can you impart to our recently graduated seniors who lost out on the end of their senior year of college? What are some of your favorite memories of your final months at Marist?

My heart breaks for the seniors who didn’t get all of the graduation and senior year hoopla; the formals, graduation ceremonies, parties, etc. What I can say is, you’ll never have enough time of your college experience. It always ends too soon.  In this year’s case, it was just a bit sooner. My advice would be to appreciate every moment of your time on that campus and beyond. Look around, see all the friends and memories you’ve made, and know that you’ve just closed one of the most joyous chapters in your life.  Be grateful instead of resentful.  What makes up your experience at Marist isn’t the big moments like a graduation ceremony; it’s the little moments in between.  Van rides, talks during your run, late nights, party nights, filling up your trays in the cafeteria, your housemates and roommates.  There’s a lot to be grateful for.  There will be plenty of opportunities to make up for lost time. 
 
Where do you see this pandemic going/how do you see it playing out in the short- and long-term future?

I can only imagine you’re a nervous wreck during this pandemic, so I’m sure you’re telling each of your athletes to wear a mask constantly. Coach Pete always errs on the side of EXTREME caution.  I must agree with you though.  Wear a mask when you go out.  If you’re uncomfortable, get a Marist mask. I’m sure they make them somewhere.  Show some school pride and be safe while doing so!

Short-term, I hope that the pandemic subsides, and people can go back to living normal lives, people can get their jobs back, pay their bills, support their families, and move forward.  People need to stay safe and healthy and exercise caution.  With cases spiking in other states, that’s even more reason to be cautious and ride it out safely until it’s eventual end. The easiest way to socially distance: GO FOR A RUN! 

Long term, I hope the country realizes what a pandemic of this magnitude can do to a nation, and we can respond better in the future. There’s a lot of public debate and political disagreement, but hopefully we learn some valuable lessons god forbid something like this happens again.  We need to work together, not against one another.  Take care of yourselves, your families, your neighbors and do the right thing.

FOXES! Love ya!


2 comments:

Conor said...

Love the rocker hand gesture wedding photo, so Bam!

Ric Clayton said...

I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com