Monday, June 1, 2020

An interview with Tom Lipari


Yeah. His sister is famous. Really famous, in the track/running world. She’s an awesome runner and a great person, and it was neat to see her progress into a national-caliber superstar at Villanova and continue that into her post-collegiate career, which should have been continuing at the US Olympic Trials in a few weeks. But whenever I would hear someone say “wow, Emily Lipari’s brother runs for Marist!” I would correct them and say, “no, that’s Tommy Lipari’s sister who runs for Villanova!” Wait. I’m not sure that makes any sense. Bottom line, Tommy Lipari was ours. Yeah, he’s the brother to a famous runner. But to us, Tommy was a pure, through-and-through, heart-and-soul Red Fox. Now a Forever Fox. Gosh, how much Tommy cared about his training and his racing. Too much, maybe, at times. But he was all heart. Is all heart. Long before we called Dan Hillman “Dark Cloud Dan,” there was Tommy Lipari. If there was an illness going around (can you say Swine Flu!) or a fluke injury to acquire, Tommy was front and center. He ran into some bad luck. But he always ran, and he always ran hard, and he had a helluva career at Marist, at a time when the men’s program was in its prime years up till that point.

Tommy Lipari’s not done. He’s starting to run again. When he races, I bet it’ll be pretty good, in the Alumni Racing Team singlet. Since he has graduated, he has focused on building his career, and he has done a really good job with that. He’s done as good or better job of staying in touch with his fellow Forever Foxes. They are brothers and they are in touch frequently. Whether it’s a fantasy football draft, a fun trip to Wrigley Field or to the top of Mt. Washington, or anything in between, Tommy remains connected to his team. Like so many alums. This edition of the Pandemic Papers is like so many of them: A long, fun ride through the past and the present. I smiled reading the answers and smiled more at the memories. Here’s to future running highlights from the Lipari family – Tommy and yes, Tommy’s famous sister, hopefully a future Olympian.

Describe your high school running career, highlights and how you first got started in the sport.

I attended Roslyn High School in Nassau County, Long Island, which has received recent fame from the movie “Bad Education” starring Hugh Jackman. My journey into running was different than most. While I was always a natural runner, I didn’t consider running as my #1 sport until the end of my senior year.  I had been the varsity left fielder for Roslyn during my sophomore year and had all intentions of playing baseball in college. My junior year in XC, I had moderate success which had me running a 17:30 5k at VCP which for me was a strong performance. Indoors, I had more success running a 4:43 1600 and earned all-county for the first time. At the end of my junior winter season for the first time, I felt that I was starting to gravitate towards running. I of course went back onto the baseball field that spring and assumed the role as starting center fielder, but my coach Kevin Kearney would regularly enter me in races throughout the spring. It became routine for me to jump from the baseball field, right into a meet to help earn points for the team. With my diminished running form, I still managed a 4:46 1600 and 10:29 steeple that outdoor season. Another major factor which changed everything was the ascent of my younger sister Emily, then a freshman, into the running world. I had watched her enjoy her first successes as a freshman coming in 10th at the Federation meet in XC, but the major highlight was her dominating 3K victory in the NY state meet.

Seeing Emily’s success really fueled me going into my senior year (and the rest of my running career) to try and make a name for myself. I trained all summer, running more than I ever had (at the time it couldn’t have been more the 30-40 mpw) but with a purpose. I raced well during the regular season my senior year but my post season is where I turned it on. At Norwood Norfolk High School in upstate NY I ran the race of my life and finished 17th in Class A in 16:35 beating a slew of runners who to that point were way better than me. I then backed it up with a 16:49 at VCP to cap off my senior year of XC. The rest of my dream senior year saw me win an indoor County championship in the 1600, and the outdoor county championship in the 3000 steeple. I also qualified for the indoor and outdoor state meet. More than anything I proved that I was a runner.  I would graduate with PRs of 1:56.9, 4:24.45, and 9:46.2 in the steeple. I still own the school records at Roslyn in the 800 and steeple.  My sister went on to cement herself as a NY legend winning the state meet, Federation meet (#4 Time at Bowdoin), and placing 6th and Footlocker nationals. By the time she graduated she would be an 11-time state champ, 3-time national champ and #5 all time in the indoor mile. She would also go on to be an 11-time All American at Villanova and win the NCAA Championship in the mile in 2014. As I have said before, she has always been my main source of inspiration.

How did you get interested in Marist and how did you decide on Marist over other schools? What was the recruiting process like? (side note: I remember your dad giving me an Estee Lauder bag for my wife during the process!)

I had visited Marist my junior year and was enamored at the beautiful campus. To that point I was unsure of what sport I wanted to play but knew that I loved the Marist campus. My issue was that I was unsure if I would have the grades to get into Marist, plus I was not highly recruited going into my senior year with modest PRs across the board. The only school who showed any interest was SUNY New Paltz. If I remember correctly, I had sent Coach Pete, as well as several other coaches, emails throughout my senior year but did not get any responses. It was not until after my state meet XC finish in which Pete finally responded to my email and told me that he was interested in having me run at Marist. Come February, I had narrowed my choices between New Paltz, Albany, and Marist. I remember I had just had my official visit with Albany and was very close to committing but in my heart knew I wanted to go to Marist. I had competed against current South Side Alum Pat Duggan in high school so when I arrived for my recruiting visit, I was greeted by a familiar face. I remember spending time with Duggan, Tim Keegan, and Adam Vess throughout the visit and having a blast. I felt that I instantly meshed with the entire team. By the end of the visit, I knew I had to go to Marist. I remember telling my parents that I loved Marist and couldn’t see myself going anywhere else, which is probably where that bag of Estee Lauder came from. The rest was history.

Your parents were loyal fans, coming to so many meets. What was it like having parents who were so passionate about the sport and about track?

I give my parents a lot of credit. With all of the sports played by myself and my sister throughout our lives, I don’t think they missed anything. They were at every single track meet, every Sunday doubleheader, near or far. Even when myself and Emily were in college together, they would find ways make it to everything. Their attendance was something I appreciated throughout my childhood. There was nothing better than winning races, or running personal bests and having my parents there to congratulate me. I have always said that I plan on being at every single one of my children’s sporting events just like my parents.

Talk about your time at Marist as an athlete. You were a fierce competitor and a great racer. What are some of your career highlights athletically?


I truly cherished my time as a Marist athlete. I was part of a great freshman class who would go on to set multiple school records and countless program bests. Several races stand out. My freshman year at indoors at BU I ran a 4:18.18 mile with a big negative split and fast last lap. I remember you bringing me into your office after that race and telling me that I had the potential to be a really great runner. At the time that meant a lot to me and motivated me to continue to work hard. I also remember capping off my freshman year with a 3:59.54 1500 at Icahn Stadium with another fast, last lap. Having my name in the record books in the DMR was also significant. The record lasted way longer than I expected. Unfortunately, the rest of my Marist career was marred by nagging injuries and untimely sicknesses. My senior year, I was able to be a scorer in XC and ran some PRs in the Mile and 3k on the track, but unfortunately never reached the level at which I expected of myself. I had some great moments, but never had that iconic breakthrough race which I had always strived for. While I never ran the times I wanted to run, I formed an inseparable bond with my teammates which can only be created through countless hours of hard miles. Some of my favorite memories are from our Long Island summer training runs through Sunken Meadow and Bethpage with Posch, Keegan, Shelley, Nicoletti, Walshak and others. I cherished our long runs at Minnewaska during pre-season and throughout the falls with Flint and Will. I also loved kicking down Delafield on cold winter weekends with whoever was feeling good that day. I wish I had a GPS watch back then because I’m sure some of those runs would have been memorable.

Talk about your time at Marist as a student. What did you major in and how did it prepare you for your career?
What are some of your non-running memories of your four years at Marist?

My academic career at Marist was somewhat of a rollercoaster. I struggled out of the gate my freshman year and posted a less then desirable first semester GPA, which placed me in study hall. It was during this period the second semester my freshman year where I established a schedule and study habits which would carry me to where I am today. I graduated with a Business Management degree with a concentration in Marketing. Although I am not in the marketing field today, my hours spent in the library working on papers will be always thought of fondly and built the foundation for where I am today.

Talk about your post-collegiate work career. What have you been doing, where have you been living (I know you have moved around a bit) and what's in your short- and long-term future, career-wise?

After college I had several job opportunities, but made the decision to move to the Philadelphia area to work for Estee Lauder as a distribution supervisor. At the time, I didn’t know a ton about supply chain but had gained some experience in manufacturing in one of my past internships and decided that it could be something I could be successful in. I spent the first several years of my career as a distribution supervisor managing a team of 40+ hourly employees in the pick and pack of distribution orders. Within five years of graduating, I was the manager of the shift managing a team of 150+ people in a fast-paced dynamic distribution environment.  In the fall of 2017, the company gave me the opportunity to grow my career by taking an international assignment in Toronto. I lived in Toronto for 13 months while I helped lead a facility through a software implementation, while also running the day-to-day operation. Living in Toronto was one of the most valuable experiences in my life as I was able to navigate the challenges of working in an unfamiliar facility, while exploring a new and exciting city. To this day, Toronto will always be looked on fondly as one of my favorite places. The golf courses were top notch, and living across the street from Rogers Center was a great perk. I really enjoyed watching baseball in the comforts of a dome while the temperature outside was less then desirable.  I returned to Philadelphia in the winter of 2018 and have been in the role of Outbound Manager, where I am responsible for the shipping of all brands to most major retailers as well as international affiliates. During our peak season, our faculty can ship upwards of $50+ million per day.  In the fall, I also started in an MBA program at La Salle University. Balancing school and work have been challenging at times but I always think back to balancing school and running at Marist and realize that anything is possible.

How has the Covid-19 pandemic impacted you -- career-wise and personally? What have the past several months been like for you?

The pandemic has for sure changed the way in which we do things. From the start, our facility has remained open. My company was able to utilize our manufacturing sites to produce hand sanitizer, which has been distributed throughout the tri state area. My team has been integral in ensuring that these donations are picked, packed, and shipped in a timely and safe manner. Our facility has been following guidelines instituted by our governor for essential business to remain in compliance. These measures include masks, temperature checks, and various social distancing measures.  It has definitely been a major change but I can say I am proud to work for a company who cares so deeply about its employees and the community.

Where do you see this going? What's your impression of how the short- and long-term future is looking?

To be optimistic, I would like to say that I see everything being back to normal by mid-summer but at this point I am prepared for it to go on much longer. It’s encouraging that we are beginning to see businesses opening. I believe that if small businesses take the appropriate safety measures to operate safely then we should continue to see more of the tri-state area open up.

You are a passionate sports fan. How has it been to not be able to see and follow your favorite teams?

As a sports fan it has been extremely disappointing seeing all sports be cancelled. This year was an Olympic year and my sister had just achieved the Olympic standard in the 5K with a 15:07.44 at BU in February so it was devastating to see that opportunity taken from her. I also very much looking forward to a strong Yankee year. I am however happy to say I have enjoyed getting a majority of my COVID news then my favorite radio host Mike Francesa. As always, I believe he is spot on with his assessment and breakdown of the local and federal handling of COVID.

You are a really loyal alum. How have you stayed connected with your friends from college? How often do you see them? Do you guys still have that fantasy football draft every year?

Our fantasy league has been in existence since my senior year of college. Every year we meet for a live draft which is always one of my highlights of the year. Typically, the draft is in NYC and we rent out a room, preferably with an unlimited food and drink special where we make our picks and build our teams. Obviously some better than others. For the most part everyone attends and in the off chance someone has a conflict we allow them to either call in, or have someone draft in their place. Usually there is a crowd of other alums who flock to the event. We maintain a group chat throughout the year in which we have constant dialog about sports, current events, trash talk, etc.  As of now the league includes myself, Havard, Nicoletti, Dato, Panebianco, Meegan, Joel, Schanz, Luke, Flint, Joel, and Lappas. I have remained close with many teammates and have also been fortunate to go on countless vacations and trips with various alums from multiple graduating years. Several notable trips include scaling Mount Washington in 2016 with Kyle, Brown, and former javelin thrower Tom Devaney. Last summer a large group of us traveled to Chicago to catch a game at Wrigley.

You still follow the program, and that loyalty is appreciated. What can you say to our recently graduated seniors? What message can you send to them and what would you tell them? How would you feel if you were in this situation?

My heart goes out to all the graduating seniors and current students. Four years at Marist goes by in a flash. Being robbed of any of that experience it should be a crime. My best advice would be treasuring the friendships you make at Marist because they have the ability to last a lifetime. There isn’t a day that goes by that I’m not communicating with one of my former teammates. We are now coming on eight years after graduation and I can honestly say that we are still making memories together. I don’t see that ending any time soon. COVID or not.

Now that you are almost a decade removed from Marist, what would you tell your 18- or 19-year-old self about your time in college?

I would tell myself to enjoy the journey. I had a tendency to always look ahead when I should have just enjoyed the moment. I would tell myself to enjoy the daily grind of training with teammates and not so much the next big race. Enjoy your time in the cafeteria with your friends before your night class. Spend that extra half hour hanging out with your roommates before bed. Sometimes the little things are what end up being the most memorable. I would also say it’s important to be focused and determined, but don’t put so much pressure on yourself because great performances can happen when you least expect it.

Anything else you'd like to add ...

I would like to say that over the past five months I have slowly been getting back into running. I give a lot of the credit to my cousin Andrew Gelston, who was a former great runner for White Plains High School and Clarkson University who took a long hiatus from the sport (just like me) and decided to run a marathon last fall. Andrew ran 2:34 in his debut in Philly and has motivated me to get back out on the roads. I have done very little racing and intermitted training over the past eight years, but I have finally been able to string together a consistent block of running. Most of the time during the week I run before work (in the dark!) and then do a longer run on the weekends. It’s a solid formula which has me starting to get back to fitness. With COVID I don’t have any races on the horizon but there will be a day in the near future where I break out the Marist Alumni singlet. My girlfriend Courtney has never seen me race so I have some extra motivation to get back out there. I have really enjoyed utilizing Strava to follow friends and former teammates to help motivate me. Would love to see a virtual Fox Trot on the schedule in the near future!

No comments: