Wednesday, June 10, 2020

An interview with Bryn Gorberg

Bryn on the right


Bryn, front and center, #28
One of the more gratifying aspects about coaching this program for the past three decades is seeing how many men and women continue to “chase it” for years after they graduate. Whether it’s a high level, low level or anywhere in between, so many Forever Foxes have embraced the concept of running as a “lifetime sport” and that is very neat. Bryn Gorberg (Class of 2017) was an athlete that I knew – just absolutely KNEW – would continue to “chase it” after graduation. She has excellent role models in her parents, who are extremely active endurance athletes. When Bryn was a student at Marist, she would excitedly come to practice and tell me, “Pete, my dad (or mom) just did (fill in the blank) race last weekend!” And I’d be like, “they’re my HEROES.” As we stumble into the latter stages of middle age and the creakiness that comes with it, having peers who continue to be as active as they are is truly inspiring. Bryn’s parents keep “chasing it” in various athletic pursuits – from skiing to ultra running and everything in between.

Bryn has been active in the running community in NYC, where she lives and works. She has still been living and working in the city, through the pandemic. She’s fortunate to be in an industry that is in high demand and is relevant now – fashion, specifically activewear, and a lot of people have been more actively exercising during this pandemic. My Pandemic Papers questions – and her answers – were sent and received before the social unrest of the past several weeks, so Bryn didn’t directly address that in this interview. We live in a complicated world and New York City is probably at the epicenter of all the many complexities of 2020. As we are of all our alums, we are proud of Bryn, and we pray for her continued success and safety – now and always.  

How, when and why did you start running? Tell us about your athletic background growing up -- running, other sports, etc.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been involved in some kind of sport. My family was very active, so playing sports was just a natural activity to participate in starting at a young age. I think my mom put me in tee-ball in kindergarten, but we realized quickly that that wasn’t my cup of tea. Shortly after, soccer became my sport. From mid-elementary school to the beginning of high school, soccer was the center of my life. Sprinkle in a couple seasons of recreational basketball here and there in my early teens. Before the fall of my freshman year of high school, I tried out for the soccer team. I remember being excited when I found out there would be a timed 2 mile run during tryouts. During the selection period, the coach explained that although my 2-mile time was 2nd out of all candidates, my ball skills were mediocre, which determined that I would be placed on the Junior Varsity team. After a season of leading the JV team during runs and shuttle sprints, I decided to join the winter track team to keep in shape until the following soccer season. During this season, I started to realize that the running parts of the other sports was what I excelled at the most. From then on, I decided to make running the focus of my athletic career. 

What were some of your high school running career highlights and favorite memories?

I admit that I am not amazing at running, but I do really enjoy it and I work hard at it. While I was not scoring for my high school team individually, I was a part of some of my team’s strongest relay performances in the 4x800 and DMR. I fondly remember trips to Penn Relays for the 4x4 or 4x8, particularly because of its size and caliber, but also because I got to miss class for a day or two. I enjoyed qualifying for and racing at Indoor and Outdoor Nationals with my relay teams a couple of times as well.  

How and why did you choose Marist? What other schools were you looking at and what drew you to Marist over the other schools?

From the moment I started my college search, I knew that I wanted to study fashion design and run collegiately. Not many schools provide strong programs for both. While some schools have great fashion programs, their athletics teams are not as strong and vice-versa. I came across Marist when I was researching design programs outside of NYC. After perusing through the website, I realized that Marist could be a really strong contender. After emailing Coach Chuck, spending an overnight visit with the team and shadowing a fashion student for a day, I realized Marist was the place that I wanted to call home. While I applied to a variety of other schools like Kent State, Syracuse, URI and FIT, Marist was the only one where I felt that I could excel in all aspects of my life. After having graduated three years ago, I still don’t regret my decision to attend Marist.

What were your fields of study at Marist and how did they help you for your professional career?

I majored in Fashion Design and minored in Product Development and Global Studies. The Fashion Design program is known for being rigorous and demanding. It definitely lived up to that reputation. I often spent long hours in the studio sewing my garments and working on my portfolio assignments. The program’s vast connections opened many doors for future opportunities for me. I was able to spend a semester during my junior year abroad in Paris taking fashion classes. I had three summer internships after my freshman year, which was unheard of for people at other schools. My last internship ended with a full-time job offer for after graduation. I was so relieved to start my senior year with a secured job. 

What are some of your favorite memories from your time as a student-athlete at Marist?

Although I wasn’t good enough to be on a record relay team or score for the team, I always worked hard and tried to be the best version of myself both athletically and academically. I really enjoyed having a good group of teammates to train with during track and tempo workouts. We pushed each other and had fun together in both workouts and races.

As I began my freshman year, I found out that some of our cross country and track meets would be held at Princeton and Rider respectively. I was very excited that my team would be going to places so close to home for me. I believe during my sophomore cross country season, the team had a meet at Princeton and my parents offered to host a post-meet party at my house. It was so fun to see the Marist bus drive in front of my house and for the whole team to enjoy an evening in my backyard.

The following semester, my fashion assignments started to pick up and become true fashion homework. Most fashion homework didn’t involve papers or textbook reading, it came in the form of drawing, draping and sewing. During a long bus ride to the Bucknell meet, with an embroidery hoop, needle and yarn in hand, I was embroidering my final garment for my sewing class. I remember a couple guys on the team near me were very confused that that was homework for me. It was then that I realized how different my major was compared to other majors. 

Pretty much everyone thinks of Boston meets as one of their favorite memories. But what made them so special my senior year, was that my sister was a freshman at Boston University. Being able to see her at her school and for her to be able to see me race was definitely a highlight.

Your running has continued and expanded post-collegiately. Tell us about that, what you have done since you graduated and what you are doing currently in terms of training and racing.

After taking some time off from running after graduation, I decided that I needed a goal again. My father and I signed up for a half marathon later that fall. Training solo was difficult and I felt underprepared for the race. After that, I decided to join a running group in New York City because I realized how much I missed being part of a team. I currently run for Streets101, a NYRR affiliated running club in NYC. It is a really close-knit group that meets three times a week for speed, tempo workouts and long runs. We often end our long runs at bars, breweries and the beach and spend the rest of the day together. I have met some of my closest friends through the group. The team has been a great tool to have to keep me accountable in my training. 

Since graduation, I have placed highly in and even won half marathons, track races and a couple unsanctioned races. Unsanctioned racing is an organized race during which the roads are not closed off to traffic and the route is not determined until right before start time. I’d say it’s a true form of survival of the fittest. It’s up to you to determine your course and how to get from point A to B as quickly as possible. The hardest part is not getting lost, which I admittedly have done a couple times.

You are still in NYC. What is it like living in the city during this pandemic?

Its so crazy to see NYC, known for its hustle and bustle nature, become practically deserted in most areas. I live in Midtown Manhattan where people would normally be going to work and spending the evenings and weekends at restaurants and bars nearby. Now the restaurants and bars are either open only for takeout or delivery or are boarded up until they can afford to open financially. My normal running routes feel a bit crowded as of late since running and walking are just about the only forms of exercise people can do. I try to stick to running on roads since there are not as many cars and people out. One of the most astonishing sights in NYC is the empty Times Square when morning rush hour would normally be. I enjoy running up Broadway and through Times Square because of how few people are there.

It’s funny to say that I miss the crowds and busy streets. I remain optimistic that I will be able to partake in normal summer festivities in the city and hop around the city with my friends. Until then, I remain in my apartment, watching new movies and shows and taking advantage of my rooftop.

Tell us about your current job and how it has been impacted by the pandemic.

I work at a small company in the garment district in New York City as a fashion designer. I am responsible for designing all of our women’s activewear brands, including Champion and a couple private brands. Right before COVID hit, I was given the opportunity to launch an “athleisure” brand for a retired female athlete. While I am so fortunate to still have a job, the pandemic has absolutely impacted my company. I was supposed to travel to LA to meet the athlete to go shopping with her and discuss the brand in person. I have never travelled for work, so I was very excited to have this new experience. Instead, we settled for a Zoom meeting. I actually just presented my collection to her over Zoom today!

As for my day-to-day work, I have been working from home since mid-March. A big part of my responsibility as a designer is to review the swatches of fabric to make sure the colors match and look good. My vendors, who would normally send all packages to our office, now have been sending them to my apartment for me to review. I have piles of samples and binders that I have acquired throughout the two months in my small NYC apartment. While conference calls and zoom meetings have been a good solution, I miss being able to quickly collaborate on a design or project in person. It’s very difficult to show my coworkers and get their opinion on color when they’re not there in person to touch, feel and see. One positive is that this is teaching me to trust my own judgment!

How has your life been upended during this time? When and how are you running and training? Are you able to see family and friends?

Everyone is affected in at least some way as a result of this pandemic. While I am fortunate to still have a stable job, a couple weeks before my roommates and I planned on renewing the lease to our apartment that ended the beginning of May, both decided they would not be able to stay in the city. I had to rush to find two new roommates a week before my lease ended. 

Unfortunately, all of my spring races were cancelled this year. I was excited to attempt to PR in the half marathon before focusing on training for NYC Full Marathon (my first!) this coming fall. Who knows if it will actually happen, but as of now, I am planning as if it is still on. Since the COVID shutdown, I have been running easy and using it as a form of therapy. I am also doing some bodyweight strength sessions run by my running group to counteract all the sitting I’ve been doing lately. I really miss running with my friends!

Aside from running, I have seen my parents a couple times and have met up with a friend or two for a social distance visit. But otherwise, I have been spending a lot of time with my boyfriend, who also lives in the city. 

Where do you see things in the short- and long-term with regard to this pandemic?

It’s really nice to see people staying connected and reaching out to people more often than they did before. I hope to see this continue as we begin to reopen.

This pandemic has also made me realize that working in activewear is probably one of the best areas of fashion to be working in right now. People are still working out, probably more so now than ever. Unfortunately, though, I think it’s going to be awhile until we’re able to have organized in-person races. As for long term within the fashion industry, I predict that the activewear clothing influence will continue once the pandemic subsides. I think it will become even more normal for people to wear gym clothes as part of their daily wardrobe. I suspect that office dress codes will become more relaxed and casual as a result as well.  

Your parents are VERY active endurance athletes. How are they doing during this time?

Yes, my parents are very active people! They both volunteer at Windham Mountain Ski Resort as Adaptive Instructors to teach students with physical or mental disabilities how to ski. Unfortunately, due to COVID, their ski season was cut short. Instead, my parents have been running, biking and hiking to fill the void. 

How have you stayed in touch with your college friends and how are they doing?

I stay connected with my college friends mostly through social media and Strava! It’s nice to be able to connect with my friends from the team and see their runs, bike rides and hikes. I call and video chat with quite a few of my friends frequently so we stay updated with each other’s lives. Bianca and I organized a Zoom call a couple weeks ago with some of our teammates who we haven’t seen in a long time. I loved hearing that everyone was healthy and safe. 

What are your fondest memories of your final few months at Marist and what message can you share with the graduating seniors who have lost their final few months of their senior year? 

My fondest memory of the final few months at Marist was MAAC weekend at the end of Spring Track. As a senior in the fashion design program, my fashion show was the day before the meet. Although it was quite a busy weekend, it was amazing to be able to celebrate both of my passions at Marist. At the time, I thought it was probably the ultimate send off. I recognize that the graduating seniors didn’t get to enjoy and experience the same feeling that I did. I can’t imagine how they must feel.  

The message I would share is that running doesn’t have to end when college does. I highly suggest finding a running club in your new area. You will meet so many great people of varying backgrounds. It’s probably one of the highlights of my post-college experience so far. Some of my closest friends here in NYC are people I met through the running group. Its such a great way to be social and explore the area. 

Anything else you'd like to add …

Im so grateful to have been a Red Fox runner. I hope everyone in the Red Fox family remains healthy and safe. I hope to be able to see everyone in person soon!

No comments: