Wednesday, June 3, 2020

An interview with Becca Denise


It’s been more than two months – actually, closer to three months now – since we’ve been allowed to go to work in the McCann Recreation Center. Haven’t been to my office since mid-March. I miss it, all of it. When I do go back, fumbling for my keys to enter my office, one of the first people I will “see” is Rebecca Denise (Class of 2013). Now, Becca does not work at Marist. She’s back home in Long Island, working and coaching at St. Joseph’s College, so she’s rarely on campus. But her presence is felt. All around the office complex, there are “action shots” of Marist athletes through the years. Right outside my office is a long-ago picture from a 1,500-meter race (probably at outdoor MAACs), with Becca featured prominently. There’s another picture near my office, from a MAAC cross country meet around that era, of the men’s XC team in the first few strides after the starter’s gun goes off. All the guys are donning the most hideous “MAAC mustaches” – a fine tradition chronicled in previous Pandemic Papers. These pictures never fail to make me smile, either externally or just inside. Fond memories of fine athletes.

Today’s Pandemic Papers features one of those fine athletes and equally outstanding human beings: Becca Denise. It’s especially gratifying when our alums go into coaching, which Becca has. Like Julie Hudak’s, Becca’s perspective on the pandemic hits home because she works with collegiate track athletes. We’re pleased to share her responses today.

Take us back to high school: How and why did you start running and when did you realize you might want to run in college?

Taking a look back, I definitely can say I dabbled in a lot of sports before I found my passion of running. Prior to devoting my time to running, I was an avid dancer (always in the back row) and soccer player (basically XC, just ran up and down the field). I was also involved in band and loved basketball growing up. My sister, Jen, is two years older than me and she began running in 7th grade. She was talented and was brought up to the high school level to run on the varsity team. Soon after, my whole family became captivated by the sport. My parents and I were always going to watch her run at Suffolk West and Sunken Meadow, and I was in awe of the team camaraderie. I knew as soon as I was old enough, I was going to see if I too could make running my “thing.” I joined the team in 7th grade and was immediately obsessed. After trying so many different things, I finally felt like I found my “home” on the track team. Me and my teammate Mel (who ran for Albany) quickly became best friends and we were brought up to run at the varsity level in 8th grade. Watching my sister get recruited by Bryant University inspired me to really make the most of my experience. If I could attend college and be on a team, I knew I would have that sense of home with me. Going forward, that was my goal, and I made my best “run” at it. J

How did the recruiting process go? How did you hear about Marist, what other schools did you consider and why did you end up choosing Marist over the other schools?

I was COMPLETELY overwhelmed with the recruiting process. I think it was extremely hard to look at colleges as a junior/senior in high school because I was never one of those kids who knew exactly what they wanted to be when “I grow up.” I was enjoying the ride throughout high school and deciding where I was going to call home for the next four years was stressful to say the least. Again, leaning on my sister’s lead, I knew I was interested in surrounding schools that I would be able to compete at. I heard about Marist from my guidance counselor at Bellport, my sister, and I had previously driven through campus with my mom on a trip back from upstate (XC camp, actually J). Ultimately it came down to Marist and Manhattan. I fell in love with both schools. After emailing back and forth with Coach Chuck, I set up my official visit and was hosted by Elizabeth O’Brien. I think throughout my whole recruiting trip I said a total of 5 words, consisting mainly of sounds great! and thank you. I had NO idea what to expect and I think I just smiled the whole time thinking, THIS IS AWESOME! Having Elizabeth as a host was honestly one of the reasons that I selected Marist. Elizabeth reminded me of my friends from home and I thought to myself, if this is a representation of my potential team, I will definitely fit in here. Chuck and Pete taking the time to talk and make me feel comfortable completely won me over. I’m so thankful.

What was the transition like from high school to college? What were some of the most difficult and memorable moments from your early days as a student-athlete at Marist?

I was hoping for the immediate feeling of “I LOVE COLLEGE” as soon as my parents dropped me off, but it definitely took me more than three months to adjust. I am definitely a bit of a homebody. I think initially I can be shy, but I entered with a large freshman class, and I was very grateful for that. I was surrounded by girls that just wanted to get to know one another. It was amazing. My first memory from Marist College is when my parents dropped me off and I was crying (lol) and once again (my host) Elizabeth and Alyson came to my rescue as I stood there awkwardly. I think adjusting to classes were difficult for me. I enrolled in a program for freshman students that were unsure of what they wanted to major in, which definitely helped prepare me. One of my great memories from Marist was my freshman year pre-season scavenger hunt. I was placed in a group with Kath Sheehan who quickly became a best friend, but as a freshman, she was someone I completely looked up too. I could tell immediately she was a true leader on the team and incredibly talented. I remember saying with the other freshman “if Kath is going, we’re going!” (lol Kelley, Katie, Rach, & Jackie)

What are some of your highlights of your four years as a student-athlete at Marist? Favorite memories?

Oh man! Can I say my entire 4 years? It’s so hard to choose and honestly reminiscing makes me just want to move back into Champ room 713. My favorite memories include so many of the simple times. Of course, making the regional team my junior and senior year for XC comes to mind because I never thought that was possible my freshman year. Hitting the (now surpassed) 4x1500 school record my senior year was amazing as well. I HAVE to mention being stranded in Disney World after our MAAC meet my senior year. The memories of being in Disney with all my best friends and unlimited access to the parks was completely surreal. But when I think of Marist, I think of sitting in my common room with all my best friends and laughing. I think of Kath and I dancing around our kitchen laughing so hard at absolutely nothing, I think of lugging all my belonging across campus with Rach after pre-season to move into the dorms. Living with my best friends my senior year was incredible. Whatever I needed, whether help with work, an ear to listen, or a friend to laugh with, everyone was just a few steps away.

What was your major at Marist and how did it prepare you for your career path?

At Marist I majored in Business Administration. I chose this major because I was not completely sure what my calling in life was and I knew business is incorporated in the operations of almost everything. I am ultimately happy I chose this path. I began my career as an assistant store manager at Kohls and I learned so much about management and running a subset of the company. I was actually recruited for this job at the Marist College career fair, which provided me a sense of security knowing I had a job post-graduation. It was remarkable being trusted with the responsibility of running the largest Kohls on Long Island at just 21 years old. I learned how to handle difficult situations and truly grew into myself as a leader.

Talk about your post-collegiate career, where has it taken you?

After working at Kohl’s for a bit I took on the store manager role at ASICS. It was another great experience. ASICS flew me to California and Texas for training and I was surrounded by runners in the store. I truly believe that runners love other runners (probably because most of the population cannot relate to the desire to run 10+ miles in one workout). I managed the store for over two years when I realized that, although I truly enjoyed the experience, it was not something I saw myself doing long term. What I discovered during the process was my passion of training employees after hiring and onboarding them…. what I really loved was teaching them! I loved learning about each individual I hired, and helping them learn company initiatives. After talking with Kathryn (current teacher/ Marist alum) I knew it was the path for me… sooo I got my master’s in teaching childhood special education! (Thanks for the inspo, Kath!) I am thankful that immersing myself in my first career showed me my passion for my new career.

You are now a coach and we are proud of that. How did that transition occur and what got you involved in coaching?

Coaching is something I always had in the back of my mind. Knowing what an impact all my coaches had on me inspired me to want to do the same. When I went back to get my masters, I no longer worked a crazy retail schedule and the opportunity to coach presented itself. At my ASICS store, one of my employees was on the team at St. Joseph’s College and he put in a good word for me with the head coach. After sending over my resume and a brief meeting, I was on board!

Tell us specifically about your coaching duties: How many athletes do you oversee and what group do you coach?

Currently I am one of two assistant track coaches for St. Joseph’s College. My co-assistant coach and I immediately hit it off and it’s amazing because I learn SO much from him. He is a retired from our local school district and coached his whole career. He even coached an Olympian in his past! I make a mental note of everything he does, hoping to one day take on a team of my own (and take him with me J). As of now, my duties entail piecing in where I am needed. My head coach puts together most of the workouts, but I give my input based off of research, my collegiate career, and of course COACHES OF THE YEAR Chuck and Pete. I help with the day to day timing, recruiting, and much of the threshold work we try to incorporate on a weekly basis. Honestly, I just love bonding with the athletes. We are a very small team (work in progress) but many of the athletes carry enough heart for a team of 50, so I’m not worried. I focus on the distance athletes because that’s where my experience is. I take the training principals I learned from Marist and pass them on to my athletes, knowing how much they positively affected my athletic career, hoping my athletes too will be rewarded.

How has the Covid-19 pandemic affected your life -- career and personally?

I mentioned earlier I went back to school to get my master’s degree…. I was planning on graduating this spring, which did not take place due to the pandemic. This is okay with me because my school held a virtual ceremony which was very thoughtful. I appreciated it and with today’s situation, I cannot think of a better alternative. My family celebrated with me from home, and I’m very grateful for that. As a current teacher’s assistant and coach, my career has unfortunately been put on hold. I miss connecting with my students in the classroom, and my athletes on the track. I realized how much I actually enjoy having a day to day routine. I miss my athletes but being able to watch them succeed and connect with them through social media has been rewarding. I am getting a lot of family time in which I am thankful for. It makes me realize how busy I typically am. I am embracing a slower pace and spending time with my parents, siblings and loved ones, which is priceless.

How have you managed your athletes during this time -- what message have you given them, how often do you communicate with them, how are they doing?

I think initially I wasn’t sure if I should be writing training plans or sending long term goal sheets or what! But in the end, I think each person is handling this pandemic differently and we are all learning as we go. As an assistant, I let each runner handle it as they wish. I always let them know I’m just a phone call away if anyone has questions, needs, or wants to chat. I reach out to athletes as more as a friend then a coach at this point. I think it is a great time to enjoy running and training as a means of fun verses training with a purpose. It is difficult because as athletes, we are constantly training for the next race. Because I am not sure when that is going to be exactly, I think each athlete should just run for the love of running. My athletes put in a lot of hard work during winter, and we were really excited about having some break out performances in spring but running is an incredible sport because it never ends. Most of my athletes have XC to look forward too so I am excited to watch them perform in the fall. Knowing they will not be returning, I connected most with my seniors. I just wanted them to know what an impact they had on the team (and me)! Our team was lucky to be led by such a great group of individuals. They are the type of athletes that care just as much about their teammate’s performance then their own. 

Where do you see this going short- and long-term? Do you think this will impact colleges and universities for the fall 2020 semester?

I live on Long Island and today was actually the first day of “phase one” opening. I think this sheds a positive light on the current situation. It was a nice refresher hearing positive news today. Short term, I think this is a good time for people to “reset”. I hope that something positive can come from this. Maybe even if it’s just reconnecting with family or friends during the current slower pace of life. I am lucky I have gotten a chance to do that with my high school friends. I think this teaches us to remember the true value of life, and that we all need to look out for one another. It’s a very different situation we are in because all of our actions affect each other. I am praying this does not impact colleges for the fall semester, but I try and just take it day by day. I listen to the news and read articles just enough to stay informed… no more, no less. Sending good vibes into the universe for colleges reopening in the fall!!!

As you know, our graduating seniors lost the final few months of their collegiate careers -- athletically, academically, socially. I'm sure you remember your final few months at Marist with fondness. What can you say this group of seniors who have lost that?

I cannot begin to imagine the heartbreak of losing your last few months at Marist, and I am so sorry for that. What you can look forward to is the lifelong path you have just embarked on as a forever fox. My heart aches for the seniors who lost their final months of their college careers, and I know this doesn’t help, but looking back on my experiences, what I remember is the friendships I made and the connections I established. As an alumnus you are entering into the forever fox family. Your friends and coaches will always be there for you. It is beyond comforting knowing I have this strong network behind me at all times. Whether it is something simple like asking Chuck or Pete for a training plan, or to be a reference for a job application, their willingness to remain involved in our lives reminds me just want it means to be a red fox. I know when I need advice, I could reach out to anyone from Marist and they are there. Just like when you toe the line in a race, you are standing as an individual, but the second the race begins, you can hear everyone in the Marist uniform cheering you on. That’s how it is in real life. Through all of the ups and downs that life inevitably brings, you have a team of people rooting for you.

Now that you have been removed from Marist for many years, if you could, what do you think you would say to your 18-year-old self as she was about to embark on her college career?

First, I would tell myself to stop procrastinating. I would also tell my 18-year-old self to stay true to who you are. Take the time you need to feel comfortable but always remain open minded and embrace new beginnings. Being open to new experiences and soaking in what life has to offer during college is one of the most memorable experiences. At 18 years old I had no idea that the connections I made in college would be with me for a lifetime. I did not need to be so afraid of graduating and embarking on my next journey- just breath, relax, and embrace new opportunities with an open mind, life is a wonderful adventure!!! And of course, once a red fox, always a red fox!

Anything else you'd like to add ...

Thank you for always being there for us. Go Red Foxes!!!!!

No comments: