Saturday, March 19, 2016

Spring break: Waffle House and Sirius 23

As we hauled our final stretch of highway to make it to Myrtle Beach, it must be noted that there are two things that make traveling easier for me: 1-Waffle House. 2-Sirius XM Channel 23. Waffle House has a cult following, and I am certainly part of that cult. Great coffee, excellent breakfast food, ubiquitous locations. Once you start season Waffle House signs, you know you are in the South and you know you are in for some good food and great coffee. I mean. GREAT coffee, and endless refills. Friday’s breakfast was at Waffle House. Upon getting on the open highway, most of the family fell asleep. This left me to listen to Sirius 23, which is the Grateful Dead channel. It might be the best traveling music, an endless loop of mystifying and mesmerizing jams from yesteryear. I never attended a Dead show, but I am a big fan. And having Bobby Weir, Jerry Garcia and the rest of them as company got me through the balance of Virginia and all of North Carolina while everyone snoozed or otherwise was not engaged in the trip.


We arrived in Myrtle Beach on Friday afternoon and spent an excellent evening with family, as we will this weekend. We don’t see them – my sister, my nephews – nearly as much as we should, so this long excursion has been and will be worth every mile and every note. Fare thee well, fare thee well … 

No comments: