Monday, September 30, 2013

Mike Piazza Day: BroFest in the Citi

Thanks to our good pal Sean T. McMann of the Poughkeepsie Journal, we were able to provide my youngest son James with an early birthday gift (the little guy turns 8 next weekend) by going to Mike Piazza Day at Citi Field. It was his first time at Citi Field and first time on a NYC Subway (we took Metro North to Grand Central and then the 7 train to Citi Field). It was a picture perfect day and great to see future Hall of Famer Piazza get honored. I was always a big Piazza guy. What’s not to like? An underdog Italian-American story? Are you kiddin’ me! James, being a very active second grader, was equally interested in the myriad planes flying overhead as he was the somewhat dreary and meaningless game on the field between the Mets and the Brewers. I have to say that Citi Field is quite an excellent place to bring a kid and watch a game.


Going to the final regular season game harkens me back to a mini-tradition I had with my older brothers in the 1970s. For several years, we made it a point to go to the final game of the season at Yankee Stadium. One year, 1978, that last game of the year was extremely meaningful. The Yankees lost to Rick Waits and the lowly Cleveland Indians, as we sat in the upper deck behind home plate on a warm Sunday like yesterday, in a curiously half-empty stadium (these days, a game like this would be a packed, rockin’ affair). Meanwhile, the hated Red Sox won up at Fenway. This, of course, forced the one-game playoff the next day – the “Bucky Dent” game – and the rest, as they say, is history.

For those keeping score at home, I went to three MLB games this year – two at Citi Field and one at Yankee Stadium. All courtesy of great and loyal friends. Yeah, I know: More Mets’ games than Yankee games. What the heck, right?

3 comments:

tcoulson said...

I'm tellin' you. Citizens Bank Park is worlds better than citi field, simply because there are no Mets on the field - most of the time. Glad your son had a good time though, sounds like a good tradition, guess you have to buy tix for next year's last game.

Pete said...

Lurch! I hate to point this out to you. When asked which visiting ballpark he least liked and which fans were the nastiest, the Great Mariano Rivera said ... Citizens Bank Park. Philly. Ouch. But, I'll gladly go to a Phils' game with you!

Sean T. McMann said...

I'm glad that you and "The Youngest" (remember that?!) had a great time with my tickets! I hope you wear your complimentary black Mike Piazza T-shirt in good health!