Thursday, August 22, 2013

Good morning, McCann Center!

Can someone -- anyone -- please tell me why there is a rooster living behind the McCann Center? Marist has been home to many critters during my four or so decades on campus. I am convinced that there are more squirrels per capita on the beautiful campus than anywhere on God's green earth. And a few years ago, we had that friendly and fitting red fox roaming around campus. There have even been a few bear sightings on and around North Field.

But a rooster? REALLY?

One time, last year, when I was throwing stuff out from my office into the dumpster (Side note: This, of course, is comical. Anyone who has been in or around my office for the past two or so years knows that the phrase "throwing stuff out from my office" is, at best, a rumor), I was startled by a squirrel that was feeding inside the trash bin. It jumped right out at me. Yikes!

Well, now that the season has begun, I spend a lot of time over in that corner of the McCann Center by the garbage and recycling bins, because that's where the vans are parked. Last week, while exiting out the side door (an excellent way to avoid human contact), I was startled by the sound of a rooster. Cock-a-doodle-do! A few days ago, I actually SAW the rooster. Well, well. I'll be damned. An actual farm animal, right thar on our pretty campus.

Randy, the true brains behind the operations of the McCann Center, surmised today that the rooster should have been gobbled up by some other predator in the neighborhood. But alas, this rooster is plucky, and still makin' a lot of noise. Wake up, people!

No comments: