Sunday, March 25, 2012

Why I love my alumni boys ...

After a long day in the chilly wind down at Monmouth -- what else would we expect, weatherwise? -- the last thing I wanted to do or expected to be was at the Hyde Park Brewing Company on Saturday night.

But alas, later today is Mudders and Grunters -- a team-oriented, cross-country style race down in Westchester County -- and our Alumni Racing Team will have a presence there, as usual. And, as usual, the boys gathered last night for some pre-race socializing.

It was great to see Walsh and Schab (surprise guests!), Hopkins, Kirk and Hicks/Christine. Rolek and Harris will be racing as well, but they opted for an early evening. We spent most of the day with Justin, now an assistant coach at Vassar College, whose team was also at the Monmouth meet.

I love my boys. Without even asking, they knew that their old coach would not be unwinding with the usual, brewpub fare. No way. That's not my style. Rather, they promptly ordered me a black coffee with a chaser of ice water. NICELY DONE!

Naturally, the ensuing caffeine buzz is why I am typing this in the wee hours of the morning, despite a 4:30 a.m. alarm on Saturday.

Stay tuned for Monmouth meet results and other details later in the day ... and good luck to the Marist Alumni Racing Team at Mudders!

No comments: