Monday, June 6, 2011

The son also rises ...

As I was cooling down from Saturday’s Bill Crusie Memorial 5K in Wappingers Falls on Saturday with the race winner – our very own Billy “Fresh Prince of Wappingers Falls” Hild – a local runner saw us and stopped me. She was stunned! Oh my, she wondered, is that your SON? Has he grown THAT FAST!

Well, no. Billy’s not my son – although the confusion can be somewhat understandable. It made for a good laugh, as my oldest son Joey has several inches and a lot of facial hair – not to mention a few minutes per mile – before he catches up to Billy.

So yeah, that made for a good laugh. This, however, did not: When I first spotted Mr. Fresh, at about 7:50 a.m., as I was jogging my warmup, he greeted me with his usual dour glance and the standard “Oh, hello” greeting. I immediately sensed no urgency in him, which mean that he – like several others – thought the race was beginning at 8:30 a.m., instead of 8 a.m. Oops. No warmup for him!

That’s OK. Fresh bolted downhill in 5:02 for the first mile (not recommended by me) and hung tough for a nice victory.

For complete results, check this link.

No comments: