Friday, June 24, 2011

Gas lines

OK, I may be dating myself – check that, I KNOW I am dating myself – when I mention that I remember the “Gas Lines” and the “Oil Crisis” of the mid-1970s.

My memories are of sitting in long lines at gas stations on the even- or odd-numbered day (depending on which car we were in) with my older brothers. We would all bring homework while we waited to get our gas at the local Esso station. Wow. Now I’m REALLY dating myself!

Anyway, flashbacks to this time from my youth happened today as we were driving back to the Motel 6. Right near our fine motel, there is an Arco station, and the gas lines there are LONG. Why? They are selling gas for the relatively inexpensive $3.54 per gallon. That’s close to 30 cents less than most gas stations out here.

What’s the catch? Well, you can only pay by cash or debit card (no credit cards accepted!) at this station. I found that out the hard way this morning as I walked to the Arco station for my morning coffee and a newspaper.

Oh, and one other thing: Just like in my native New Jersey, pumping your own gas is not allowed here in Oregon. Full-time full-serve.

And, if you have enough cash and enough time on your hands, you can get your gas for cheap.

No comments: