Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Kill the messenger

Because I am a self-confessed Weather Geek, this winter has earned me a sort of cult status in the McCann Center. I have become the go-to guy for secretaries, staffers and athletes on potential school closings, delays and class cancellations.

A storm coming? Ask Coach Pete! With help from my trusty weather Web site – which Schanz was verbally bashing today, all because he had to go to class when we figured all day classes would be canceled (waaah! waaaah!) – I usually give an educated guess:

--Maybe morning classes will be canceled, with administrative offices opening at 11.
--Maybe the whole day is shot.
--Maybe night classes will be lost.
--Or maybe some variation of them all.

Apparently, eager student-athletes – eager, that is, to not have to go to that endless 2 o’clock bio lab or night class – have turned to me in the hope of the Gospel Truth. So today, when all afternoon and evening classes were NOT canceled, several runners turned on me like I was Benedict Arnold. But, but, but … coach! You said? You said!

Yeah. Yeah. I said. So, I was wrong. It’s not the first time. Deal with it. What the hey. I don’t have a degree in meteorology. And besides, the Winter Storm Warning was/is still in effect until 6 a.m. Thursday. So, blame the National Weather Service, already.

But hey: I hope your labs and night classes were filled with scintillating lectures and with lots of brain-expanding learning.

No comments: