Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Pitchers and catchers

I was just emailing an alum who was mulling whether he should attend Friday’s MAAC meet or be a “good boyfriend” and go somewhere on a Friday night with his girlfriend, whose idea of a “fun Friday date” probably does not include a trip to the Armory. As much as I would like to see him, I advised him to be the good boyfriend and spend time with his lady going to a non-Armory destination to be named later.

It got me thinking about something that some team members know, but that may surprise some readers of this fancy blog: I’m not really a fan of track.

Huh? What! This makes no sense, right?

Let me explain: I am very passionate about Marist Track. I am extremely interested in a track meet involving Marist College athletes. I am also somewhat interested in high school track meets involving prospective student-athletes that might be considering Marist.

After that, my interest level tails off rather quickly. Not entirely. But the cliff is pretty steep.

You want to talk to me about the latest news, links, threads and message boards on LetsRun.com? I might be interested, but I’m more apt to be clueless as to what you are discussing – unless it involves a meet at which I was in attendance. However, if you want to talk about pitchers and catchers reporting to Major League Baseball spring training camps, I’m all in that conversation.

Put it this way: If I’m flipping through the channels on a weekend and I happen upon a track meet on Channel 1 and a meaningless Grapefruit League (spring training) game on Channel 2 … you got it. I’ll put on Channel 2, and leave it there.

I do not make this admission with pride. In fact, it is somewhat embarrassing. It’s just a fact.

Having said that … I hope to see you at Friday’s MAAC meet, where I will be far more than an impartial observer.

No comments: