Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Running Red Foxes, circa 1972



Marty McGowan sent along this photo from 1972, when he believes it is the first time the phrase "Running Red Foxes" appeared on a Marist XC uniform. Here is what Marty wrote to me today:

"We've been cleaning around the house and I found this old picture in the attic, and thought you guys would get a kick out of it: 1972 was the first X-C season that Rich Stevens coached. I'm not sure, but I think it's the first time "Running Red Foxes" appeared on the uniforms. I know some of the X-C articles are still on The Circle archives. Anyway, from the top it's: Mike Duffy, Jay Doyle, Tony Wilger, Bob Nelson, Dan Flynn, the manager. Bottom row Mark Herterella, Bob Salomone, me, and Jim McCasland. Bob Salomone and I were co-captains again that year."

Once again, thanks to Billy for the download assistance.

5 comments:

Steve said...

Great nostalgia photo. Thanks for sharing. Since the plea for alum help I have starting following this blog more closely. Is the current generation of Running Red Foxes up to date on the lore of "Girder Pete"?

Hopkins said...

Oh do tell!

Justin said...

Next set of singlets you should go retro like those in the photo. Pure Awesomeness!

Kyle said...

I have this photo in my room at home. My name is kyle salomone, bob in the front row is my dad.

Jim McCasland said...

Kyle----Your Dad and Marty McGowan asked me to join the team in 1972. May your Dad rest in peace....simply The Best!