Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Check out Decker's cool posts

Many times on this blog, I have touted www.letsrun.com as one of the definitive sources for news and commentary in our sport.

Allow me to plug another site here, at trueslant.com. Our guy Geoff Decker (class of 2005) is a key contributor to their "Running Shorts" blog linked here. It's a great blog and I will be checking it frequently. It's not "his" blog solely, but he does seem to be one of the key contributors to it.

At the risk of sounding redundant, I'm proud of Decker's career path both on and off the track. He continued his running for Central Park Track Club and hopefully he'll get back to steady training and racing again soon. More importantly, he has forged himself a pretty solid niche in the running journalism field -- both in print and online. Decker is going to pursue an advanced degree in the field, starting later this summer, in NYC.

OK, I can hear the snickering out there ... journalism is one of those punching-bag career paths and also serves as great punch lines to jokes. Allow me to pontificate about the field in which I spent the first quarter-century of my professional life: While print journalism may be dying a slow and agonizing death (need details? just ask me!), the need for CONTENT in some way, shape, form and platform will never cease to exist. My boy Decker has figured that out; now, he just has to figure out how to make a living out of it ... easier said than done. He's doing his best, now and in the future.

YOU can help him by clicking the link to his blog. The more traffic he gets there, the more he benefits. More importantly, it's GOOD STUFF.

No comments: