Thursday, October 30, 2008

Vast wasteland

I just want to expand my thoughts about the vast wasteland of middle distance running last track seasons. It was a vast wasteland. That's a fact. As a coach, I take full responsibility and blame for that. It's on me, not on the athletes.

When we graduated DeMarco, Bambi, Quinn, Carroll and all the other record-setting relay runners who made up our great long sprint and middle distance squad for many years, I failed to replenish that area of the team through recruiting and development. That's on me as a coach. So when I referred to that vast wasteland, that points to a failure of mine as a coach and not of the athletes.

Colin Johnson ran 1:59 for an open 800 and was our fastest open 800 runner indoors and outdoors last year. Chuck and I are extremely proud of this! Colin was a high school hockey player and a 2:10ish half-miler in high school. I did my best to dissuade him from running on the team (true story!), yet he kept coming back, kept showing up, kept working hard. I kept telling him he wouldn't make our travel squad. He kept showing up, kept working hard. And now he is a legit sub-2:00 800 guy, and should be a player on some of our relays this year. He deserves all the credit for how he has developed, and so does Chuck for sticking with him and working hard. I was able to work closely with him during the track seasons last year and I grew to realize what a great runner he is, to go along with being the great person we all knew he was all along.

Maynes did break 2:00 on relay splits and came agonizingly close to a sub-2:00 open 800 on too many occasions to mention. He will agree that this is a disappointment and it is a disappointment for me as a coach. It wasn't for a lack of trying on either of our parts, and he was a valued member of the team for 4 years.

I think B-Dix and T-Dix would agree that their senior seasons were up and down and somewhat disappointing as well. Again, not from a lack of trying. And again, it was great to have them on our squad for 4 years and they are missed as well.

Lastly, our 4x400 was just not good all year, indoors or outdoors.

Again, Chuck and I will do our best to change this for the 2009 track seasons.

I defend my choice of words (vast wasteland), and our mission it to change it this year. One step and one race at a time.

Off to the world of Mickey Mouse. I do not have a laptop so no blogging unless there is a public computer at the hotel. If I can, I will. If not, check www.goredfoxes.com for updates on the women's and men's team performances.

Blog on, brothers and sisters.

5 comments:

matt walsh said...

Well said, Pete. Thanks for expanding on this.

matt walsh said...

And P.S. Pete - you just set yourself a new monthly blogging record with 23

Tom Dixon said...

this blog has gone from around 30 posts to 70... with all these obama supporters I'm stating to think ACORN is running the blog
BURN
Spread the Wealth (sarcasm)
TDix

Unknown said...

Pete - don't forget, at least, about the joy, the vast wasteland of mid distance guys have given you. I refer especially to the amazing senior 4x4 of last indoor season. I may be biased, but I think that TDix, BDix, Maynes, and Theo were probably the best looking group ever, and to all run within 3 tenths of a second of each other and beat the underclassmen team, well, no words can really explain it. Priceless and cherished might come close tho. Oh yea, this post in no way says that i am a mid-d guy... 10k all the way baby!

Unknown said...

p.s. I found a typo... Pete writes our mission IT to change it. Instead of is...

Someone is losing it!