Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Fast forward

I know the majority of this blog's readers are men's team alumni, members, parents, friends, etc. This post strays from the "norm" as I will blog about the women's team today.

As you all know, with Phil's retirement, our Track Family was slightly restructured and I was given a fancy new title.

Coach Chuck is the women's coach, but we work very closely as dual programs and practice together every day. We are each other's assistant coaches, and athletes from both teams know they can talk to each of us any time. Our training approach for both teams is identical. The women do a little less volume for the obvious reason that their race distance is shorter. Otherwise, the training paradigm follows the same model.

It is a lot of fun to be directly involved in the women's program. I can honestly say that I not only enjoy it but it has also reinvigorated me as a coach. It's like a new challenge, after all these years. Again, Chuck is the MAN in terms of leadership of the women's team, but I'm putting my two cents in there as well.

Anyway, we were up there at Ogden Mills on Monday as the women were doing the old guys' hill workout (you know, from the poll question of a few weeks ago). Toward the end of it, as the ladies were banging up the hill, working hard and working together in several packs, I found myself getting pretty pumped up.

This is a TEAM, and potentially a darn good one. And it was exciting.

I must say that this is not intended to be a knock on previous and recent women's teams, or on Phil, who is one of my best friends. It is just that Phil and I did things separately in terms of practices, for whatever reason, and I never felt a part of the women's team -- except on meet days. Now, that has changed, and it's a lot more fun.

1 comment:

matt walsh said...

Pete - has the girls team started a run and named it based solely on your NAME + AGE + ANATOMY, as the men's team did for P. Kelly? When that day comes...you truly have made it. Kind of like when they cut your tie in Finance.